Roast dinner on a Sunday?

Ylf

People still have a roast dinner/tea on a Sunday? Remember growing up my old man always made either a roast chicken or roast beef with roast potatoes carrots peas Yorkshire puddings the works. Now though can’t remember the last one I had.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dad used to make really good home made soup as well

I mix 250 gram flour, 4 eggs and 300 ml milk for my yorkie mix then add it to the oven after the meat is out at a temperature of about 220. They are bloody delicious and hardly any effort, it makes me irate when I hear that people buy them from the frozen section of supermarkets.

34 minutes ago, Ylf said:

People still have a roast dinner/tea on a Sunday? Remember growing up my old man always made either a roast chicken or roast beef with roast potatoes carrots peas Yorkshire puddings the works. Now though can’t remember the last one I had.

Yeah, same here.

We're having a salad tonight. Welcome to May's Britain.

Smell of roast chicken is wafting out of our kitchen as I type this. This is my other half's speciality which she usually serves with carrots, peas, roasted tatties, and delicious gravy.

The price of whole chickens in the supermarkets makes it well worth while - tomorrow we'll have chicken and chips with the left overs.

I’m expecting to go home to one after my afternoon in the pub.
I’m reliably informed that roast chicken will be the weapon of choice.
So far I’ve had a singular piece of toast and five pints so I’m both figuratively and literally slavering at the prospect.

58 minutes ago, throbber said:

I mix 250 gram flour, 4 eggs and 300 ml milk for my yorkie mix then add it to the oven after the meat is out at a temperature of about 220. They are bloody delicious and hardly any effort, it makes me irate when I hear that people buy them from the frozen section of supermarkets.

How many does that make?

How many does that make?

It depends how much batter you put in the circular bits of the tray tbh and that depends on what consistency you want your yorkies at: if you fill the tray too much then it’s not so nice so you should only half fill them when the oil is very hot and they’ll be a good consistency, you would get away with halving the amount I quoted if you are serving 4 or less people I would say.

Smell of roast chicken is wafting out of our kitchen as I type this. This is my other half's speciality which she usually serves with carrots, peas, roasted tatties, and delicious gravy.
The price of whole chickens in the supermarkets makes it well worth while - tomorrow we'll have chicken and chips with the left overs.

Chicken sandwich the next day Is good as well [emoji1]

45 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

6 minutes ago, Ylf said:

Chicken sandwich the next day Is good as well emoji1.png

You can also make decent chicken soup from the chicken carcass - obviously better in the winter time.

See here :

https://www.netmums.com/recipes/chicken-soup-recipe

Used to be a big thing when I took my mum to visit her family down south. They'd always have a big family sunday afternoon lunch with at least a couple of different roast meats and all the trimmings you could imagine.

Will still do it in the winter - either some baked ham or roast beef. Not that often though.

I always roast the beef in the morning, allow it to cool and then slice it. About 40 mins before serving I put gravy in a pan then add the sliced meat to it and gently allow it to simmer till serving. Always got to have loads of roasted potatoes, petit pois and baby sprouts. Although it is beef and not lamb, I always put loads of Mint sauce on it.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Try adding a teaspoon or two of Dijon mustard, makes a big difference. 

Roast pork shoulder tonight, but with spicy indian mash & creamy peas. We'll have the rest tomorrow with chips and salad.

Only problem is the unwavering stare & puddles of drool until the greyhounds get their slice of meat & big bits of crackling.

Archived