Procrastination

Do you procrastinate? How?

I'm really bad for procrastinating and need advice on how to beat it.

Fwiw I'm procrastinating right now.

PnB is one of my favourite procrastination activities. Alongside Ted Talks, eating, cleaning, showering and looking at houses I'll never afford online.

Also, my dissertation is due in on Friday at noon.

You just need to withhold rewards from yourself until you've done some work. Make a particularly good phone call? Have a w**k. Update figures in an incredibly boring spreadsheet? Have a w**k. Complete a run of your one-man onanist performance art at the Fringe? You get the picture.

I’m terrible at it, the wheels on the top shelf of our dishwasher were broke and the rail kept coming off and would hang down at weird angles all the time and rather than just order new wheels I just carried on using it in the hopes that it would fix itself.

PnB is one of my favourite procrastination activities. Alongside Ted Talks, eating, cleaning, showering and looking at houses I'll never afford online.

Get a moaning wife.

Doing the job is easier than getting nagged at for not doing it.

Men would never do anything if it wasn’t for women.

5 hours ago, MeadowArab said:

I recognise the issue with your dissertation.
You have been so much time to do it that there is no sense of urgency and only when there is will you do it.

I had the same thing with TMAs when I did an Open University credit.
Often the deadline for 2 months later and yet it was often submitted with only hours to go.

I presume it is something intensely boring.

The only solution is to create a new sense of urgency called "do it immediately".
Every time you are asked to do a dissertation, forget about the deadline and simply do it immediately.
Soon it will stop being something you dread doing and you'll enjoy not having to think about it.

For me, that is certainly the case with some boring stuff - although I admit not all.

If it is any consolation, it sounds like you might have a bright future as a manager in a large company.

Some will do anything to avoid making a bad decision and the best way to do that is never to make a decision.

Good luck.

Yes, I do. I work on the basis that (sometimes) doing nothing is better than doing something just for the sake of doing something. I suppose it depends on your job, too, some are more procrastinatable.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I’m terrible at it, the wheels on the top shelf of our dishwasher were broke and the rail kept coming off and would hang down at weird angles all the time and rather than just order new wheels I just carried on using it in the hopes that it would fix itself.

And did it?

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Get a moaning wife.

Doing the job is easier than getting nagged at for not doing it.

Men would never do anything if it wasn’t for women.

Short sighted view. Let her moan, do nothing or do it wrong, the moaning increases short term. But she'll either do it herself or get someone competent to do it in future.

Meantime, I watch the telly.

6 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

You just need to withhold rewards from yourself until you've done some work. Make a particularly good phone call? Have a w**k. Update figures in an incredibly boring spreadsheet? Have a w**k. Complete a run of your one-man onanist performance art at the Fringe? You get the picture.

I take it you're referencing this?!

Archived