Dumb Tactics vs Dumfries Queen

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4231 would work if the 3 are in and around the box in an attacking situation or lively enough to get up there on the counter. Haber up top with Froxylias Lewis and Greenwood behind ought to do fine.

Seem to recall someone suggesting Petravicius as rb, which isn't such a mad shout given his attributes. Much like what Dumbarton done with David Smith perhaps.

That position aside I think we've potentially got a squad to do well enough. Lot of bedding in to do with more of them than is ideal mind

10 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We actually used two subs on Saturday.  Bell replaced the injured Fordyce after about 5 minutes then he himself was replaced by Murray late in the game.  Bell had actually been touch and go to make the bench anyway for the game,  I believe.  We were still very much in the game at the later stages with the players that were on the park,  so it was hardly worth risking putting any more youngsters on. 

Usually it's the ultimate indignity for a sub to be substituted.  Usually though, they've not played for more than 90 minutes when it happens.

20 hours ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

So many teams play the 4231 formation these days. St Mirren played it from the games I seen them last season.

Too many simpletons think 1 striker means negative tactics :lol:

Its so negative when you have a shit main striker and a clusterfuk supporting him....see Patrick thistle away and many of our seaside league cup games.

Strangely we reverted to 2 up top in the above games and looked better, Dundee utd also flirt with the 4-2-3-1 and got better when they revert to 4-4-2.

This league isn't won on fancy formation or tactics its more on what you can do offensive.

We have to go 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, if we line up with one up top, I'll be heading to bet heavily on QOS

Its so negative when you have a shit main striker and a clusterfuk supporting him....see Patrick thistle away and many of our seaside league cup games.
Strangely we reverted to 2 up top in the above games and looked better, Dundee utd also flirt with the 4-2-3-1 and got better when they revert to 4-4-2.
This league isn't won on fancy formation or tactics its more on what you can do offensive.
We have to go 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, if we line up with one up top, I'll be heading to bet heavily on QOS
Yep. Successful deployment of 1 up front needs a very good strong but also mobile guy up top (Haber may well be good enough to do it) but also close support and dynamic midfield runners always backing him up.

I am at a loss to think of a club who have made it work well at our level and IMO its not the striker but the midfielders simply not being good enough at our level.

IMO, we need two up front. If the current state of our defence means we go to 3 5 2 fine. The only position that lacks credible options is RWB. Thats a problem but McGhee is good enough that we shouldnt shy away from trying it.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yep. Successful deployment of 1 up front needs a very good strong but also mobile guy up top (Haber may well be good enough to do it) but also close support and dynamic midfield runners always backing him up.

I am at a loss to think of a club who have made it work well at our level and IMO its not the striker but the midfielders simply not being good enough at our level.

IMO, we need two up front. If the current state of our defence means we go to 3 5 2 fine. The only position that lacks credible options is RWB. Thats a problem but McGhee is good enough that we shouldnt shy away from trying it.

Ross County I'm sure made it a success when they last got promoted, amazing £s can do tho, tho utd the last few seasons have used the one up top and when reverted to 4-4-2 they went on a run of form.

I actually thought Dumbarton played it well with Vaughan doing great link up with Nade and outside our league Celtic play it well

So many cogs have to be in place for one up top to work for me and rarely does without £s

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Anytime I seen St Mirren last season they played 4231. Jack Ross must know how to play it well his Sunderland side played it yesterday.

I think we will be more suited to the 352 although hard to fit Greenwood in there who will probably end up being one of the best signings Hartley has made.

Greenwood needs to play for me and we need 2 up front, so a 4-4-2 seems the best option. I also think Froxylias has offered the creativity we've been lacking and actually looks like he's on the pitch unlike TOE. This line up also has the benefit of keeping Dallison and Petravicius off the pitch.

Fasan

McGhee Muirhead Harrison Robson

Irving Froxylias Paton Greenwood

Haber Lewis 

Subs: Mutch, Kidd, Dallison, TOE, Sammut, Petravicius, Mackin

10 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Greenwood needs to play for me and we need 2 up front, so a 4-4-2 seems the best option. I also think Froxylias has offered the creativity we've been lacking and actually looks like he's on the pitch unlike TOE. This line up also has the benefit of keeping Dallison and Petravicius off the pitch.

Fasan

Haber Lewis 

We'd get pumped with that lineup.

Fasan
Haber Lewis 

Plays our best player totally out of position at right wing #HeadsGoneSheps

We'd get pumped with that lineup.

Why? I think if there are two players in our team who could be creative and supply chances to our strikers it’s Irving and Greenwood. I think a large number of us are crying out to bring Robson back and play Muirhead in the middle of the defence too....

9 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Why? I think if there are two players in our team who could be creative and supply chances to our strikers it’s Irving and Greenwood. I think a large number of us are crying out to bring Robson back and play Muirhead in the middle of the defence too....

Paton and Froxy would be an extremely slow central midfield. Irving has probably been the best of our central players but he is out of position on the right and would probably get sucked into the middle to cover for Froxy who probably hasn't got the legs to play in 2 man centre midfield role, especially when playing with Paton who's legs look gone.

That midfield would be a disaster in my opinion. 

Fasan
Haber Lewis 
Bollocks.

Even if Petra isnt skinning folk left and right, he can get up and down the right side and his pace requires the attention of Queens LB. There is always the danger we can play him in behind. He is a right midfielder.

Putting Irving there is simultaneously unbalancing the right side and also removing our (so far) best CM. It would leave our right side brutally exposed defensively and leave us totally lopsided going forward.

Ridiculous lineup. Have a word with yourself.

5 minutes ago, Falkirk_Bairn_1983 said:

Paton and Froxy would be an extremely slow central midfield. Irving has probably been the best of our central players but he is out of position on the right. 

That midfield would be a disaster in my opinion. 

Sounds good to me. 

11 hours ago, Trump said:

What journeymen do Queen’s have amongst their ranks nowadays?

Obviously leaving out Dobbs and Harkins we have about 10 journeymen on our books with about 6 or 7 young players on their journeyman apprenticeships on the bench.  We've got high hopes of them achieving full journeyman status tho. 

That's the 2 lineups I would consider from now on. The 4231 Greenwood and Petra would have to get in the box to support Haber when the opportunity comes up effectively making it a 433. Also if things aren't working we could easily switch to a 442 bringing off one of the midfielders for a striker.

I do like the 352 but hard to fit Greenwood in there who I'd like to see starting now. 

lineup (6) - Shortcut.lnk

lineup (6).png

lineup (7).png

Archived