Dumb Tactics vs Dumfries Queen

The most dominant performance and one-sided match involving Queens I’ve ever seen.  More one-sided than the 7-1 win v Clyde at the tail end of Dobbie’s first spell; more one-sided even than the 7-0 trouncing of Forfar at Palmerston back in the mid 70s.
Only the fact that everyone else (Harkins in particular) seemed disinclined to shoot in the second half, contriving instead to try to tee up Dobbie for his third, allied with Dobbie squandering at least four or five much better opportunities than the two that he’d so brilliantly converted in the first period, and an inspired performance from the Falkirk keeper, kept the score respectable. 8-0 wouldn’t have flattered us. I’m not sure how much of this was down to Queens’ brilliance, though Dobbie and Harkins on their days are unplayable at this level, and how much of it was down to Falkirk’s remarkable ineptitude. They looked like an utter rabble, a makeshift team of strangers that had been cobbled together hastily on the morning of the match. An equally effective XI could probably have been assembled from a typical stag night down the pub.
Dobbie and Harkins, and to be fair most of the rest of the Queens team, looked like the Harlem Globetrotters toying with the opposition, only Falkirk were nowhere near as convincing  a bunch of stooges as the Washington Generals. I’ve seen us enough times this season to realise we’re nowhere near that good, so something must be very wrong down Falkirk way.
Dobbie, remarkably, looks fitter and sharper than ever this season (watching him skin that Falkirk centre half for pace, as he sped away to score his second, was funnier than anything I’ve seen at the Fringe this year), and Harkins strolls around the midfield like a maestro in his dotage, still blessed with supreme skills, he might as well have been puffing on a Montecristo from the start, but even Andy Stirling looked like a footballing magician compared to the traffic cones masquerading as the Falkirk defence. I’ll dissent from the consensus and say that Dykes didn’t have his best game, but it’s probably for the best that he didn't, as Falkirk had clearly suffered enough.
Todd was excellent, and Doyle always puts in a shift wherever he’s deployed. Even our notoriously permeable defence looked relatively unflustered throughout, though Fordyce’s absence probably helped in that regard.
It’s clearly going to be a rollercoaster ride watching Queens this season. Utterly pathetic in the first half against Dundee United, magisterial for the entire 90 minutes on Saturday. It certainly won’t be dull anyway. 

Dykes was effective at bringing everyone else into the game and creating space with runs in behind. Thought he was as good as anyone else Saturday, no disappointments

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Back Post Misses
The most dominant performance and one-sided match involving Queens I’ve ever seen.  More one-sided than the 7-1 win v Clyde at the tail end of Dobbie’s first spell; more one-sided even than the 7-0 trouncing of Forfar at Palmerston back in the mid 70s.

Only the fact that everyone else (Harkins in particular) seemed disinclined to shoot in the second half, contriving instead to try to tee up Dobbie for his third, allied with Dobbie squandering at least four or five much better opportunities than the two that he’d so brilliantly converted in the first period, and an inspired performance from the Falkirk keeper, kept the score respectable. 8-0 wouldn’t have flattered us. I’m not sure how much of this was down to Queens’ brilliance, though Dobbie and Harkins on their days are unplayable at this level, and how much of it was down to Falkirk’s remarkable ineptitude. They looked like an utter rabble, a makeshift team of strangers that had been cobbled together hastily on the morning of the match. An equally effective XI could probably have been assembled from a typical stag night down the pub.

Dobbie and Harkins, and to be fair most of the rest of the Queens team, looked like the Harlem Globetrotters toying with the opposition, only Falkirk were nowhere near as convincing  a bunch of stooges as the Washington Generals. I’ve seen us enough times this season to realise we’re nowhere near that good, so something must be very wrong down Falkirk way.

Dobbie, remarkably, looks fitter and sharper than ever this season (watching him skin that Falkirk centre half for pace, as he sped away to score his second, was funnier than anything I’ve seen at the Fringe this year), and Harkins strolls around the midfield like a maestro in his dotage, still blessed with supreme skills, he might as well have been puffing on a Montecristo from the start, but even Andy Stirling looked like a footballing magician compared to the traffic cones masquerading as the Falkirk defence. I’ll dissent from the consensus and say that Dykes didn’t have his best game, but it’s probably for the best that he didn't, as Falkirk had clearly suffered enough.

Todd was excellent, and Doyle always puts in a shift wherever he’s deployed. Even our notoriously permeable defence looked relatively unflustered throughout, though Fordyce’s absence probably helped in that regard.

It’s clearly going to be a rollercoaster ride watching Queens this season. Utterly pathetic in the first half against Dundee United, magisterial for the entire 90 minutes on Saturday. It certainly won’t be dull anyway. 

You won, played well, Dobbie is class, we are rotten but you don't half ramble on with some shite

The majority in the South Stand were applauding as well. If I was a Falkirk player that would hurt me like hell and pride would want me to make sure that it never happened again.
Well we have already gave them that opportunity, remember the No 10 for Forfar, yes, from the seaside leagues, standing ovation for ripping our defence a new one

We've played lower league sides this season and never created as many chances. I can appreciate Falkirk were poor but take nothing away from our players,they still had to create the chances and they did that superbly.

Dykes was excellent. Constantly running into the channels and going up for everything (I thought he was fouled a few times that the ref never gave). He brought other players into the game as well.

If there was a player to find fault with, for me it was Martin. I'm a big defender of 'keepers but he needs to start commanding the area. The injured excuse is surely gone.

Bit harsh on Martin to be fair.

he can’t do much more than keep a clean sheet. I agree thanks the the teams defending he didn’t have anything to do but yesterday is not the match to pick fault of any of the team. IMO.

they were excellent.

For all the comments about leaking goals it is good to see we are in the top 5 teams for least conceded and in the top 3 for goals scored.

if that continues we will be in the playoffs by the end of the season.

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We've played lower league sides this season and never created as many chances. I can appreciate Falkirk were poor but take nothing away from our players,they still had to create the chances and they did that superbly.

Dykes was excellent. Constantly running into the channels and going up for everything (I thought he was fouled a few times that the ref never gave). He brought other players into the game as well.

If there was a player to find fault with, for me it was Martin. I'm a big defender of 'keepers but he needs to start commanding the area. The injured excuse is surely gone.

6 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Bit harsh on Martin to be fair.

he can’t do much more than keep a clean sheet. I agree thanks the the teams defending he didn’t have anything to do but yesterday is not the match to pick fault of any of the team. IMO.

they were excellent.

For all the comments about leaking goals it is good to see we are in the top 5 teams for least conceded and in the top 3 for goals scored.

if that continues we will be in the playoffs by the end of the season.

Martin is in danger of becoming criticised no matter what he does. There were a couple of balls in the box on Saturday that were never his to claim yet there were moans around me. Against St Johnstone there was someone behind me screaming "keeeeper" when Martin was stood at the edge of the box with the ball in his hand.

Well we have already gave them that opportunity, remember the No 10 for Forfar, yes, from the seaside leagues, standing ovation for ripping our defence a new one

You are right, I had forgot about that. Not that I am surprised but it would appear our new signings are lacking in the pride dept as well as the football skills dept.

Martin is in danger of becoming criticised no matter what he does. There were a couple of balls in the box on Saturday that were never his to claim yet there were moans around me. Against St Johnstone there was someone behind me screaming "keeeeper" when Martin was stood at the edge of the box with the ball in his hand.
I'm one of the last ones on here to criticise GK's (just ask Flash!) and I agree there were some that weren't his to claim, mainly in the second half as I recall, which made it stranger given we could hardly see where the ball was from our position. But in the first half there was one or two he really should have at least attempted to catch/punch.

I'm not intending on starting a debate about him, it was in response to Frankie's post. Dykes wasn't poor by any stretch of the imagination on Saturday. There weren't any failures, but Martin's 'rating' would have been lower than Dykes's so I found it strange he was coming in for a bit of stick.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm one of the last ones on here to criticise GK's (just ask Flash!) and I agree there were some that weren't his to claim, mainly in the second half as I recall, which made it stranger given we could hardly see where the ball was from our position. But in the first half there was one or two he really should have at least attempted to catch/punch.

I'm not intending on starting a debate about him, it was in response to Frankie's post. Dykes wasn't poor by any stretch of the imagination on Saturday. There weren't any failures, but Martin's 'rating' would have been lower than Dykes's so I found it strange he was coming in for a bit of stick.

Pretty easy to forget about the keeper in game with 3 shots on target for the opposition

Fair play to Dobbie, even at his age you can tell he still gets absolutely buzzing with each goal he scores. 

From a Bairns perspective tho, the defending on those goals were even worse than I thought at the time. 

Absolutely incredible stuff. Get these imposters to f**k man.

1 hour ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

Brilliant as usual Malc. Really appreciated when I wasn't able to be there on Saturday.

Concentrating on the goals, as bad as the efforts of Harrison at the 2nd goal (outmuscled and out sprinted despite a 2 yard start) and all of Froxylias, Paton, Dallison and Muirhead on the 3rd (I think it's a little harsh to blame the keeper on that one as some have), the worst piece of defending of all is Irving's attempt to "mark" Dobbie from the throw in at the first. He just wanders away from him. It's not even a clever throw or one of Dobbie's nice feints, he just jogs off him. Keeper's positioning leaves a lot to be desired too though he was clearly caught off-guard by how early it's hit.

Brilliant as usual Malc. Really appreciated when I wasn't able to be there on Saturday.
Concentrating on the goals, as bad as the efforts of Harrison at the 2nd goal (outmuscled and out sprinted despite a 2 yard start) and all of Froxylias, Paton, Dallison and Muirhead on the 3rd (I think it's a little harsh to blame the keeper on that one as some have), the worst piece of defending of all is Irving's attempt to "mark" Dobbie from the throw in at the first. He just wanders away from him. It's not even a clever throw or one of Dobbie's nice feints, he just jogs off him. Keeper's positioning leaves a lot to be desired too though he was clearly caught off-guard by how early it's hit.
have said the same 're the throw in on our thread. what you don't see from the highlights is the exact same thing happened 5 mins earlier so Irving was warned. he's a good young player though and one of our bad bunch I'd still be happy to give a starting slot to. Hartley hooked both he and Harrison at half time and I'm sure it's because they were mainly at fault for queens two first half goals

3 hours ago, JinkyBairn said:

Fair play to Dobbie, even at his age you can tell he still gets absolutely buzzing with each goal he scores. 

From a Bairns perspective tho, the defending on those goals were even worse than I thought at the time. 

Absolutely incredible stuff. Get these imposters to f**k man.

The 'defending' on each was chronic however I thought Fasan could have made a better effort at all 3.

Archived