The MOTD Thread

King Kebab

35 minutes ago, montheton said:

Pickford is fucking awful. Zaha at CP is another player that seems to get an easy time from english press, the guy is over rated

got a gloriously rough ride from the Brighton fans at Selhurst though - watched the game live via an ESPN stream with the unadulterated crowd noise in full effect, including a prolonged opening tirade of "zaha - you're a c**t - zaha, zaha - you're a c**t" to start things off - he had the arse something fierce for the rest of the game  :lol:

there's a time and a place for stirring club anthems and historic songs full of resonance and tradition, but equally, there's a time when 'short and to the point' is just perfect...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not really sure why Salah's goal was given so much praise. Had read a lot about an excellent run and finish online today. He's run in a straight line - unchallenged - and places his shot well from 18 yards out. It's criminal 'defending'.

9 hours ago, Dele said:

I'm not really sure why Salah's goal was given so much praise. Had read a lot about an excellent run and finish online today. He's run in a straight line - unchallenged - and places his shot well from 18 yards out. It's criminal 'defending'.

90179104-DC0F-43A7-A50E-23E863E724A6.jpeg

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

I absolutely hate that faux hard man behaviour from Knockaert. That challenge was horrible and stupid. A truly cretinous act. I suppose it was for him to show how hard he is but that's massive shitebag behaviour. It's a cowardly challenge but also one that attempts to absolve him of responsibility for the game and result.

I'd be furious if I was his manager and would tell him that it happened again he'd be sacked (or at least never played again and left to rot in the stands until another club took him).

Martin Keown talking about Salah’s goal/the ball today:

“It’s the cleanest sweetest strike you’ll see this season, you can see the logo on it, it doesn’t even move”.

Cue slow-motion replay showing ball spinning, logo disappearing and taking a dip. 

58 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Martin Keown talking about Salah’s goal/the ball today:

“It’s the cleanest sweetest strike you’ll see this season, you can see the logo on it, it doesn’t even move”.

Cue slow-motion replay showing ball spinning, logo disappearing and taking a dip. 

He moonlights for Umbro.

• 6 months later...

Pretty shite that the main talking point every week is VAR. Wonder how they’ll improve the use of video refereeing or if they’ll just bin it.

After seeing the farce of VAR I wouldn’t want that brought in up here.

46 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Pretty shite that the main talking point every week is VAR. Wonder how they’ll improve the use of video refereeing or if they’ll just bin it.

Agree.

What's slightly amusing is the way people talk about VAR being a talking point and go on about how they wish it wasn't all people talked about.

Of course, many who opposed the introduction of VAR (or had seen it applied in other leagues) knew and said that this was exactly what would happen.

There is no fair way to apply VAR. It can't be done. Unless you simply apply VAR to every decision made on the pitch, there will always be scope for someone to be outraged at the unfairness of it. The 1989 Scottish Cup final shows us that even an innocuous throw-in can win or lose a cup. Every decision on the pitch might be vital, and for that reason VAR cannot work without making football absolutely unwatchable.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of months later and VAR is still murder.

On 21/10/2019 at 09:06, Scary Bear said:

• 1 month later...

This thread has sadly died a death for some reason.

Anyway, with goals galore and big results at the bottom of the table, MotD decide to kick off the show with... Liverpool winning at home. What a load of shite. Probably decided by the same guy who thought Man City v Fulham was a great pick for live TV Coverage in the FA Cup.

• 3 months later...

Watching MOTD. Classic games highlights.

First up Arsenal vs Everton.

Arsenal had an incredible team back then, although not that good that they didn't have to play Christopher Wreh. Still, what a player Bergkamp was. Genuinely one of the best of all time. A guy who would fit in to any team of any time.

Everton had some team too.

Many dirty challenges. Fantastic to see.

Most pitches these days seem huge but Highbury looked like it was similar to East End Park in dimensions 

Guest JTS98
13 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Bergkamp offered absolutely nothing other than a few showreel moments. Wouldn't make it on to the bench of most Barclays English Prem teams these days. 

Interestingly, for a guy scared of flying, 'Bergkamp' in Dutch translates as 'Aeroplane'. 

Just about fell off my seat reading this.

You've got no business watching fitba, imo.

I've actually enjoyed these Match of Their Day programmes. Good to hear the players' stories as they look back.

A few observations...

English fitba was absolutely riddled with mistakes in the 90s. Most goals came from someone's mistake. Hardly anyone could keep possession.

Gary Neville was a dirty bastad. 

Peter Schmeichel was overrated, often out of position, lobbed too often.

Paul Scholes was magic, so was Ian Wright.

Today's rules and VAR would have caused about 4 red cards per game.

At least 4 of the above statements should come as no surprise.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, RawB93 said:

I do love how Micah Richards always seems to be on the verge of bursting out laughing.

Lineker will be demanding Richards comes back on as he keeps losing it at all of Gary's shite jokes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope after yesterday’s Cup Final, the BBC go for a completely new MOTD look and line up for the new season. Time to replace the wooden Lineker and the predictable patter of Shearer and Wright, it’s the same old tired ‘matey’ chat week in week out. The regular replacements don’t offer up much else either, Keown, Murphy etc. Dull and dry dressed up as ‘expert punditry’. I just find myself reaching for the remote to fast forward to the next game highlights, invariably spoilt by an over the top forcibly excited commentator. Match analysis is usually taken up by arguments over diving, cheating, petty fouls and moaning about the use of VAR. What a treat to look forward to on a Saturday night. On second thoughts probably just easier to give the whole programme a miss.