Dundee United v Partick Thistle

Dundee United fans have quite the hardon for a game that took place closer in time to ABBA winning the Eurovision Song Contest than it did to the present day. 

Anyway, ancient history aside, this should be a decent marker as to how we're progressing, as the first game against one of the pre-season favourites.  Plenty of ex-players on both sides for folk to get worked up about and neither team looking great defensively.

0-0.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What position did Barton play in when he was Partick Thistle Player of the Year in season 2016/17? I also see he received a Premiership Player of the Month award in that season.

Is he better in a back 3 or in midfield?

8 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

What position did Barton play in when he was Partick Thistle Player of the Year in season 2016/17? I also see he received a Premiership Player of the Month award in that season.

Is he better in a back 3 or in midfield?

He did his best work for us as a sweeper in a 3-5-2. Two out and out CBs in Liam Lindsay and Niall Keown, with Barton sitting just behind them.

Although that season I’m sure he split time between that role and at CM alongside Abdul Osman in a 4-2-3-1. He was far, far better in midfield with a ballwinner like Osman next to him. The whole of last season it was him & Ryan Edwards in midfield, and with nobody to do the dirty work, Barton was shite.

7 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

He did his best work for us as a sweeper in a 3-5-2. Two out and out CBs in Liam Lindsay and Niall Keown, with Barton sitting just behind them.

Although that season I’m sure he split time between that role and at CM alongside Abdul Osman in a 4-2-3-1. He was far, far better in midfield with a ballwinner like Osman next to him. The whole of last season it was him & Ryan Edwards in midfield, and with nobody to do the dirty work, Barton was shite.

Sounds like he could be very good alongside a terrier like Fyvie then, bearing in mind he was your POTY when you finished 6th in the Premiership. He should stroll it at this level.

I think he looks technically good on the little I have seen of him but I have to agree he is not a battler.

7 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Sounds like he could be very good alongside a terrier like Fyvie then, bearing in mind he was your POTY when you finished 6th in the Premiership. He should stroll it at this level.

I think he looks technically good on the little I have seen of him but I have to agree he is not a battler.

He also played a left midfield role two seasons ago vs Saints in the Cup. Bizarrely he scored the only goal of the game. 

Talented but he doesn't really like football that much. Probably what attracted him to Thistle and Yinited in the first place...

10 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Dundee United fans have quite the hardon for a game that took place closer in time to ABBA winning the Eurovision Song Contest than it did to the present day. 

Anyway, ancient history aside, this should be a decent marker as to how we're progressing, as the first game against one of the pre-season favourites.  Plenty of ex-players on both sides for folk to get worked up about and neither team looking great defensively.

0-0.

It was my first big game as a United supporter and my first season following the club, hence my own personal obsession over the fixture.

9 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Barton looked like one of the classiest defensive players that I saw at Firhill since the days of Alan Hansen. I have no doubt that he could perform well as a centre back or centre mid. The big issue is that you have no idea of what is going on in his head when he steps on to the pitch. He seems to have an overblown opinion of himself and a 0.5 second delay with any decision that he makes. Highly frustrating.

17 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

Barton looked like one of the classiest defensive players that I saw at Firhill since the days of Alan Hansen. I have no doubt that he could perform well as a centre back or centre mid. The big issue is that you have no idea of what is going on in his head when he steps on to the pitch. He seems to have an overblown opinion of himself and a 0.5 second delay with any decision that he makes. Highly frustrating.

Scott Paterson was probably the most recent  previous player in the Barton mold, imo. Scott wasn’t feart to put in a tackle right enough. 

13 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

He sounds like he could come back to haunt Thistle if he gets back to his form of 2016-17. Equally he could continue with his half arsed attitude of last season and you can all laugh.

With a competent manager, United should be winning most games at this level. Despite having a clown in charge from November and being abysmal for most of the season, we still won 50% of our matches. The other teams here are dreadful too.

He could be a star in a winning team but I wouldn't fancy having him in a battle. See our relegation side with the likes of Ryan Dow and Blair Spittal (as you will know).

3 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Scott Paterson was probably the most recent  previous player in the Barton mold, imo. Scott wasn’t feart to put in a tackle right enough. 

The permanently injured Scott Paterson? I remember hearing very good things about him when he signed but we never saw him unfortunately.

Archibald was the opposite: consistent, a hard worker and never injured. A steady Eddie. 

That hair though...

_46389409_paterson226.jpg.a219d2e4d0004096f9966339f825350d.jpg

I’d be surprised if County, Thistle and Yinited didn’t all finish with around a 50% win ratio this season. The head to head games between the three willl go a long way to determining who finishes just behind Ayr United...

He sounds like he could come back to haunt Thistle if he gets back to his form of 2016-17. Equally he could continue with his half arsed attitude of last season and you can all laugh.

With a competent manager, United should be winning most games at this level. Despite having a clown in charge from November and being abysmal for most of the season, we still won 50% of our matches. The other teams here are dreadful too.

He could be a star in a winning team but I wouldn't fancy having him in a battle. See our relegation side with the likes of Ryan Dow and Blair Spittal (as you will know).

If he performs like he did in 16-17 then you’ve got yourself one of the best players in the league. If he performs like 17-18 then lol gd luck.

Will we be behind the goal?

3 minutes ago, Reid said:

If he performs like he did in 16-17 then you’ve got yourself one of the best players in the league. If he performs like 17-18 then lol gd luck.

Will we be behind the goal?

Tickets on Thistle site are for West Stand so I think we are.

51 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Does anyone know who Thistle's player of the year in 16/17 was? Think it was the season we finished top 6. 

Adam Barton.

It was also your most successful top flight campaign since the early 1960s.

Archived