Dundee United v Partick Thistle

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

Just to add to this excellent review,  a poor Thistle side under Peter Cormack had finished sixth in 1981 before being relegated as mentioned in 1982 - it should have been a warning to us when we finished sixth in 2017. Our highest finish prior to then was in 1977 when we were fifth -  Alan Rough & Alan Hansen were in that team but we did take a 5-1 horsing at Firhill from a very good United side.

Thistle had been in the top division from 1901 until being relegated in 1969 - the goal which sealed their fate was scored by United winger Davie Wilson who actually trained with Thistle and was in tears. The next time the sides met again at Firhill in 1971,  the Thistle fans saw a remarkable hat-trick of headers from Denis McQuade...and the newly won League Cup being paraded at half-time.

Both the Paddy Connolly Goal and the Penalty in the play-off game at Tannadice non-decisions were by the same referee, Blind Les Mottram.  Other than being hit by a baseball bat, the foul on Thistle's Nicky Henderson could not have been more clear-cut but no penalty was given and United last minute equaliser seconds later had devastating consequences, with years in the wilderness and the Save the Jags Campaign rescuing the Club from oblivion.

The difference between the superb Adam Barton of 2017 and the feckless version  last season was astonishing - I actually assumed he had personal issues and wanted to return down South so I was surprised when he signed for United. He suffered from the injury and/or attitude hex at Firhill last season which also affected  Bannigan, Dumbuya and Osman - fit and on form, they were all top 6 calibre players who contributed almost nothing - Banzo was genuinely injured.

Poor as Thistle were, we were only relegated on an inferior goal difference to Hamilton. I was not very impressed by Dundee, Motherwell or St Johnstone  last season and they don't seem to have improved. St Mirren and Livingston seem to have problems - I suspect it would have been easier to avoid relegation from the Premier League this season than to get promoted from the Championship.

Interesting that the two clubs have met in pivotal games so often. Thistle have came off slightly worse than United though! 

At best, I can see us meeting in the playoffs at the end of this season.

These things seem to come every 14 years...

1982: Thistle relegated versus United

1996: Thistle relegated and United promoted following a playoff

2010: United knock Thistle out of the Scottish Cup thanks to a controversial Hand of God goal from Casaluinova and go on to win the trophy

2024?

4 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

2024?

United come back from four goals down to pip Thistle to Champions League glory / League 2 promotion, winning with a controversial Stephen Glass hand of god goal that was missed by referee Baldbot v1.4.

Rarely a dull moment in this fixture.

Another important game between us that hasn’t been mentioned so far was in 02/03. Thistle were already safe but Utd needed to beat us at Firhill to save themselves from relegation.

Utd won 2-0 in Lambie’s last game* before retirement. This result “relegated” Motherwell. To date, they are probably the most wild scenes I’ve ever seen from an away support at Firhill. Ian McCall was your manager at the time IIRC and Jason Scotland scored.

18 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Another important game between us that hasn’t been mentioned so far was in 02/03. Thistle were already safe but Utd needed to beat us at Firhill to save themselves from relegation.

Utd won 2-0 in Lambie’s last game* before retirement. This result “relegated” Motherwell. To date, they are probably the most wild scenes I’ve ever seen from an away support at Firhill. Ian McCall was your manager at the time IIRC and Jason Scotland scored.

It was 1-0 and (I assume, Jim) Paterson scored. Not that I remember it....

46 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Excited to see how many worldies Coulibaly will score against this shite.

He'll not hold back when he finds out they're nicknamed 'The Arabs!

6 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

I have no recollection of this match. Are you sure it happened?

I loved Jason Scotland. 

I would hope Murdo MacLeod, Pat Stanton, Tony Higgins, Peter Cormack and Tommy McIntyre are told to do one if they ever ask for a freebie at Tannadice.

Absolutely disgraceful denying a young man a work permit because he pummeled Hibs in a Scottish Cup semi final.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Watch these c***s, they sell seats right behind a pillar.

I wouldn’t have minded sitting behind a pillar at Tannadice the last few seasons.

Archived