Dundee United v Partick Thistle

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 15 May 1982, Partick Thistle ended their season with a home fixture against Dundee United. The home side started the day in the relegation zone two points behind Dundee.

Thistle lost 2-1 to the UEFA Cup quarter finalists however a win would not have been enough as Dundee scraped past already relegated Airdrieonians 1-0 at Dens to secure their safety.

The Dees would go on to watch their city rivals win the Scottish Premier Division on their own turf a mere 12 months later.

Thistle were not promoted back to the top tier of Scottish football until 1992. They went on to spend 4 years amongst the elite clubs. Ironically it was Dundee United who sent them back down to the lower divisions. The Tangerines had finished second in the First Division that season and beat the Jags in a playoff played over two legs at a packed Firhill and Tannadice.

Dundee United would go on to finish 3rd behind the Old Firm in season 1996-1997 while the Glasgow side would slip down to the third tier by 1998.

United spent the next 20 years in the top flight before a disastrous 2015-16 season ended in relegation. The Terrors would win the Scottish Cup, finish as high as 3rd in the table, qualify for Europe multiple times and play in 6 domestic cup finals in total.

Partick Thistle would reach the top flight again in the early part of the 21st century but quickly suffer successive relegations to the Seaside Leagues before pulling themselves back up again and spending 5 seasons in the Scottish Premiership between 2013 and 2018. They were relegated, again, in the playoffs. Dundee United were not their opposition this time, but almost.

Had Brian Welsh not powered home an injury time header in 1996, how different would the two decades that followed have been for these two clubs? Had the referee awarded a penalty to Thistle seconds before Welsh's goal the ups and downs that followed for both of these clubs would likely have been completely different.

Financially, failing to seal immediate promotion to the top flight following relegation in 1995 would have been disastrous for Dundee United. Had Partick Thistle remained in the Premier Division in 1996 the turbulent years that followed for them may not have happened.

Thankfully the Thistle fans rallied and saved their club on more than one occasion, unlike their city rivals in Govan.

Brian Welsh has a lot to answer for.

Both United and Thistle are at low ebbs as I type in 2018. The Terrors are in the early stages of their 3rd successive season in the Championship while the Jags are trying to reorganise following relegation.

Where do both of these clubs' stories go from here?

Will the match on Saturday define their future? Laszlo is certainly under pressure and a defeat would see the screw turned even further. Former United and Thistle defender Alan Archibald appears to have a safe job but how long will this be the case if the Glasgow side stutter for the first couple of months of the season?

Are you still reading this? If you are, thank you and have a nice day.

58 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Posts like that make me grateful for P&B. What a refreshing change from what we’re served up in the papers and on the BBC website. Thank you. 

"Dundee play Patrick in a game that should feature EX-RANGERS STARS FRASER AIRD AND NICKY CLARKE"

I’ve got absolutely no doubts about it, Blair fucking spittal will have the game of his life on Saturday, absolute dumpling of a player.

On Barton, he looks class strolls aboot like pirlo but I can see what u mean that he’ll no go flying in to tackles and run aboot like kante.

Think we’ll line up:
Rakovan
Watson(unless new boy is in by sat) Barton frans
Aird rabitsch (thistle fans your in for a treat) stanton robson
Loemba
Safranko Clark

3-4-1-2

Surely booth is back soon

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

Posts like that make me grateful for P&B. What a refreshing change from what we’re served up in the papers and on the BBC website. Thank you. 

Thanks.

The sad thing is it took 10 minutes of research and another 10 minutes to type my post yet well paid BBC and newspaper journalists can barely spell players' names correctly.

Then you have people like Willie Miller proudly proclaimimg they know nothing about the sides they are watching.

2 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

I'll be disappointed if we don't score double figures on Saturday against this fallen giant of Scottish football, tbh.

Welcome-900x520.jpg.34e81a9bd38be62c5d7a9ff39c0643c4.jpg

Our defence against him...

it's fine... this is fine... fine.. it's fine... this is fine... it's fine 

OfTGlfM.jpg

52 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

I'll be disappointed if we don't score double figures on Saturday against this fallen giant of Scottish football, tbh.

Welcome-900x520.jpg.34e81a9bd38be62c5d7a9ff39c0643c4.jpg

I will bet you £100 that you don’t score double figures against us and I will give you odds of 5-1.

PS at least we were giants once, you lot have always been minnows.

42 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I will bet you £100 that you don’t score double figures against us and I will give you odds of 5-1.

PS at least we were giants once, you lot have always been minnows.

Not sure he was being 100% serious.

13 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

On 15 May 1982, Partick Thistle ended their season with a home fixture against Dundee United. The home side started the day in the relegation zone two points behind Dundee.

Thistle lost 2-1 to the UEFA Cup quarter finalists however a win would not have been enough as Dundee scraped past already relegated Airdrieonians 1-0 at Dens to secure their safety.

The Dees would go on to watch their city rivals win the Scottish Premier Division on their own turf a mere 12 months later.

Thistle were not promoted back to the top tier of Scottish football until 1992. They went on to spend 4 years amongst the elite clubs. Ironically it was Dundee United who sent them back down to the lower divisions. The Tangerines had finished second in the First Division that season and beat the Jags in a playoff played over two legs at a packed Firhill and Tannadice.

Dundee United would go on to finish 3rd behind the Old Firm in season 1996-1997 while the Glasgow side would slip down to the third tier by 1998.

United spent the next 20 years in the top flight before a disastrous 2015-16 season ended in relegation. The Terrors would win the Scottish Cup, finish as high as 3rd in the table, qualify for Europe multiple times and play in 6 domestic cup finals in total.

Partick Thistle would reach the top flight again in the early part of the 21st century but quickly suffer successive relegations to the Seaside Leagues before pulling themselves back up again and spending 5 seasons in the Scottish Premiership between 2013 and 2018. They were relegated, again, in the playoffs. Dundee United were not their opposition this time, but almost.

Had Brian Welsh not powered home an injury time header in 1996, how different would the two decades that followed have been for these two clubs? Had the referee awarded a penalty to Thistle seconds before Welsh's goal the ups and downs that followed for both of these clubs would likely have been completely different.

Financially, failing to seal immediate promotion to the top flight following relegation in 1995 would have been disastrous for Dundee United. Had Partick Thistle remained in the Premier Division in 1996 the turbulent years that followed for them may not have happened.

Thankfully the Thistle fans rallied and saved their club on more than one occasion, unlike their city rivals in Govan.

Brian Welsh has a lot to answer for.

Both United and Thistle are at low ebbs as I type in 2018. The Terrors are in the early stages of their 3rd successive season in the Championship while the Jags are trying to reorganise following relegation.

Where do both of these clubs' stories go from here?

Will the match on Saturday define their future? Laszlo is certainly under pressure and a defeat would see the screw turned even further. Former United and Thistle defender Alan Archibald appears to have a safe job but how long will this be the case if the Glasgow side stutter for the first couple of months of the season?

Are you still reading this? If you are, thank you and have a nice day.

Just to add to this excellent review,  a poor Thistle side under Peter Cormack had finished sixth in 1981 before being relegated as mentioned in 1982 - it should have been a warning to us when we finished sixth in 2017. Our highest finish prior to then was in 1977 when we were fifth -  Alan Rough & Alan Hansen were in that team but we did take a 5-1 horsing at Firhill from a very good United side.

Thistle had been in the top division from 1901 until being relegated in 1969 - the goal which sealed their fate was scored by United winger Davie Wilson who actually trained with Thistle and was in tears. The next time the sides met again at Firhill in 1971,  the Thistle fans saw a remarkable hat-trick of headers from Denis McQuade...and the newly won League Cup being paraded at half-time.

Both the Paddy Connolly Goal and the Penalty in the play-off game at Tannadice non-decisions were by the same referee, Blind Les Mottram.  Other than being hit by a baseball bat, the foul on Thistle's Nicky Henderson could not have been more clear-cut but no penalty was given and United last minute equaliser seconds later had devastating consequences, with years in the wilderness and the Save the Jags Campaign rescuing the Club from oblivion.

The difference between the superb Adam Barton of 2017 and the feckless version  last season was astonishing - I actually assumed he had personal issues and wanted to return down South so I was surprised when he signed for United. He suffered from the injury and/or attitude hex at Firhill last season which also affected  Bannigan, Dumbuya and Osman - fit and on form, they were all top 6 calibre players who contributed almost nothing - Banzo was genuinely injured.

Poor as Thistle were, we were only relegated on an inferior goal difference to Hamilton. I was not very impressed by Dundee, Motherwell or St Johnstone  last season and they don't seem to have improved. St Mirren and Livingston seem to have problems - I suspect it would have been easier to avoid relegation from the Premier League this season than to get promoted from the Championship.

Archived