7 hours ago, smpar said:

Congratulating a club/set(s) of supporters isn’t unusual, nor should it be confusing.

A larger attendance usually indicates that the respective club(s) have generated enough local interest via - mainly, but not limited to - social media and should be applauded for getting a few extra people through the door than normal.

I wouldn’t particularly criticise a club for lower attendances as it’s usually a direct affect of shite performances and results; every club has experienced this. Clubs may, however, be criticised if it’s obvious that they simply aren’t doing enough to entice the locals to come along even when the team is doing well/not so shite.

Can’t quite believe I’ve taken the bait there tbh.

Well I've not dangled any bait.

I've also got a feeling that some people even went to see football before social media.  

The original point was not praising PR campaigns anyway.  It was praising the fans themselves. Whether it was just the new additional fans in line for this "well done", or also the already existing fanbase, remains unclear.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've also got a feeling that some people even went to see football before social media.  

The original point was not praising PR campaigns anyway.  It was praising the fans themselves. Whether it was just the new additional fans in line for this "well done", or also the already existing fanbase, remains unclear.

Yes. The "well done for the amount of other people attending the same football match as you" doesn't make sense. Shouting "what a shitey home support" to the people actually at a match doesn't either.

It's like people who are proud of their nationality; another thing they have very little control over. 

I say this proudly as a fan of the club with by far the biggest and best looking support in this league. 

As for the massaging of attendance figures, it upsets me as someone who finds it interesting to look back at the history of the game in our country and compare crowds at different periods in time. Comparing a Falkirk or Dunfermline attendance to a Dundee United or Morton attendance is a meaningless comparison nowadays. All clubs should either declare the actual attendance or use the "tickets sold" method. HibeeJibee must be a nervous wreck with this nonsense.

Re-read the part in my post that mentions “not limited to social media.”

I don’t think anyone’s expecting a Duke of Edinburgh award for going to see their local team, but getting folk to choose Arbroath vs East Fife, Dunfermline vs Falkirk or Queen of the South vs Morton over Jeff Stelling is a good sign that the club(s) involved are attracting a bit more local interest and that fans are making a bit more effort to back their local club.

11 minutes ago, smpar said:

Re-read the part in my post that mentions “not limited to social media.”

I don’t think anyone’s expecting a Duke of Edinburgh award for going to see their local team, but getting folk to choose Arbroath vs East Fife, Dunfermline vs Falkirk or Queen of the South vs Morton over Jeff Stelling is a good sign that the club(s) involved are attracting a bit more local interest and that fans are making a bit more effort to back their local club.

Yes, but you said social media was "mainly" responsible for increased crowds.  I think that's a load of rubbish personally.

You seem to see a very direct relationship between what clubs actively 'do' to attract crowds and what sort of crowds they get.  This might not be rubbish, but I think it's wildly overstated.

West Fife has a population of over 140,000. I think that's main reason we hold a decent support for a Town team.

Also being in the East helps a wee bit. Leishman mania in the 80's gained us a lot of young fans. Now the kids from the 80's are taking their own kids. What the club are doing a great job with is ensuring they do take the same route as their parents and don't head on a bus to Glasgow.

43 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

West Fife has a population of over 140,000. I think that's main reason we hold a decent support for a Town team.

Also being in the East helps a wee bit. Leishman mania in the 80's gained us a lot of young fans. Now the kids from the 80's are taking their own kids. What the club are doing a great job with is ensuring they do take the same route as their parents and don't head on a bus to Glasgow.

More importantly, it's a grim journey to Glasgow and once you get there it's wall to wall fuckwits. Like a bigger Glenrothes or Linlithgow.

Does everyone prefer to be part of a big travelling support or a big home support?
Home support generally includes all of the fannies. Away supports are generally more drunk, more vocal and more supportive.

Its away for me Gaz, and its not close.

Archived