• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Snafu said:

If the first Dunfermline v Falkirk match of the season gets a couple hundred more on the gate than last season then well done to both sets of supporters. 

While I agree with the overall point of your post, I don't agree with the above.

Who exactly deserves this "well done"?  How are they more deserving than the members of crowds in the bottom tier who number in the hundreds?

Even this idea, that big crowds constitute some sort of boast is baffling.  Our crowds are poor just now and I wish they were better.  They don't shame me though, any more than it would reflect well on me if they were three times as big.

The entire essence of the crowdwank is absurd.  If it was valid, we'd all have to admire OF fans.

2 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Considering Falkirk's proximity to both Glasgow and Edinburgh, attracting 4/5000 fans makes me immensely proud of my club and my town. Nothing to do with putting other teams down, I'm just proud and like to enjoy the occasional w**k about it.

People in Govan must  simply swell with pride then.

So impressive.

Considering Falkirk's proximity to both Glasgow and Edinburgh, attracting 4/5000 fans makes me immensely proud of my club and my town. Nothing to do with putting other teams down, I'm just proud and like to enjoy the occasional w**k about it.
Aye this. Il always be proud of myself and others for turning up at Falkirk every week I can regardless of how shite we are.

Same goes for all the other diddies. Scottish football has so much to be ashamed of thanks to two utterly vile clubs that we all forget what we have to be proud of sometimes.

FTOF

Wow. Just popped into this thread and can’t believe the meltdown that TurbineTon has had, about clubs announcing tickets sold.

It really doesn’t make much of a difference either way, to be honest. Surely nobody, other than TurbineTon gets upset over reported crowd figures?

From a financial perspective, I’d imagine it makes sense to report tickets sold, as it’s easy to say “so we have x season ticket holders and sold y tickets” obviously tickets can be broken down into u12s, adults, concessions etc. If the tax man comes to inspect things, it makes it a lot easier to show attendance figures and breakdown of tickets, than explaining “so we sold 4,000 tickets, but only reported 3,000” etc.

Maybe clubs like Morton are cheating the tax man, by taking in money for tickets and not declaring them all. To be clear, this is based on absolutely nothing, other than the fact that they don’t report every ticket sold. I’m not actually accusing them of this, just saying it’s easier to be ‘dishonest’ with HMRC, to avoid tax.

7 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

Virtually every club in the country includes all season ticket holders in attendance figures.

Just because we have a support triple the size of yours doesn't mean you have to be jealous.

No, they dont.

Edited to add: I work or have worked with 4 or 5 football clubs. None of them include non attending season ticket holders in declared attendances. I guess I must have been hugely fortunate to work with all the clubs that dont? Or more likely, its including them which is unusual.

Just now, Snafu said:

I have no idea it was just a quick example that came to mind, I could have picked Annan v Elgin City, but since this is a Championship thread in a Championship forum then that choice came to mind first, probably because these two club's supporters are frequent on this thread or threads that have similar discusion.

Why do you think I thought they were more deserving than clubs in the bottom tier just out of interest even though I never said nor suggested it?

I don't think it required a leap.  

You said "well done to both sets of supporters" if a gate increases by a couple of hundred over a couple of fixtures.  Who has done well exactly?  

Logic might suggest that criticism is somehow then due to followers of clubs with declining gates.  If not, how come those who see improving crowds deserve praise?

7 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

I prefer the actual attendance figure being stated. It's not a number pulled out of the air though. We have actually got that many fans either in the ground or own a Pars season ticket.

Morton could start announcing crowds of 2000 if they added their ST holders. Come join us.

You can also add Dundee to that list above. I know for a fact they add season ticket sales to attendances.

Pish, Dundee have regularly over the years announced (especially in Cup games) attendances that are lower than the number of fans inside the ground. When you've been going to games for 50 years you have a pretty good idea of how many are in the ground. Some of the attendances at a Dens have surprised me but always because they are lower than what we've expected them to be.

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

You are reading too much into this.

Yes, probably.

I just don't think in the context of this thread that fans need congratulated for the crowds their teams get.  Even hypothetically. 

I don't know what anybody has done well, to be joined in the stands by plenty others.

Congratulating a club/set(s) of supporters isn’t unusual, nor should it be confusing.

A larger attendance usually indicates that the respective club(s) have generated enough local interest via - mainly, but not limited to - social media and should be applauded for getting a few extra people through the door than normal.

I wouldn’t particularly criticise a club for lower attendances as it’s usually a direct affect of shite performances and results; every club has experienced this. Clubs may, however, be criticised if it’s obvious that they simply aren’t doing enough to entice the locals to come along even when the team is doing well/not so shite.

Can’t quite believe I’ve taken the bait there tbh.

Congratulating a club/set(s) of supporters isn’t unusual, nor should it be confusing.

A larger attendance usually indicates that the respective club(s) have generated enough local interest via - mainly, but not limited to - social media and should be applauded for getting a few extra people through the door than normal.

I wouldn’t particularly criticise a club for lower attendances as it’s usually a direct affect of shite performances and results; every club has experienced this. Clubs may, however, be criticised if it’s obvious that they simply aren’t doing enough to entice the locals to come along even when the team is doing well/not so shite.

Can’t quite believe I’ve taken the bait there tbh.

Alloa could play in the champions league and it would still be the same 500/600 that turn up every week.

12 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I can see the way we count crowds as being mildly amusing but baffled anyone would get worked up about it. 

Who could possibly care?

12 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

Tin pot clubs don't have anything else to get involved with. 

Delicious indeed. 

Bingo

Turbine ton and now monkey tennis having a crank over their attendance figures. No one is having a go at your clubs' attendances, just back slapping the bigger boys that have managed to muster up some sort of support for their local club. No need to be upset. 

Bingo
Turbine ton and now monkey tennis having a crank over their attendance figures. No one is having a go at your clubs' attendances, just back slapping the bigger boys that have managed to muster up some sort of support for their local club. No need to be upset. 
Lol. Its not like Falkirk are pulling numbers out of thin air either. We are talking about people who have paid their money in advance for the privelege of attending. For the entire season.

I wasnt at the game last Saturday but fully support the club announcing me as being there since I was there in spirit (and sheckles in the Dons pooch)

I have to say that I am getting quite confused with some of the threads these days. A few weeks ago I went onto the "Early predictions" thread and there was pages and pages all about Stephen Dobbie, nothing about league predictions. Here again, I've come onto a "Crowdw**k" thread expecting some b*kkake action and all everybody is talking about is crowd sizes. What am I doing wrong?

Archived