Lowland League Catch Up

MichaelJayPark

In a hotly contested field, that point about East Kilbride and Spartans potentially getting into the SPFL ahead of Kelty/Brora is the worst take on reconstruction yet :lol:

Really enjoying all these, have listened to every one of them.

Edited by Marshmallo

10 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

In a hotly contested field, that point about East Kilbride and Spartans potentially getting into the SPFL ahead of Kelty/Brora is the worst take on reconstruction yet :lol:

Strange viewpoint indeed! 🙃

The two most successful teams in lowland history. Makes sense.

Really enjoyed last nights podcast. Regarding the South Challenge Cup - I know you mentioned it had a sponsor but now the west juniors have joined the pyramid there's a real case to be made that this is the premier non-league cup in the country. Do you think the organisations should look into trying to attract a big sponsor for it to create decent prize money for say the last 16 and onwards? Or attempt to get the semis and final on TV or something like that? BBC Alba shows the Junior Cup final the now, maybe they could be persuaded into showing the Challenge Cup final instead. I think its definitely a chance to show the pyramid and lower leagues in good light.

Been loving these podcasts lads. Listened to no 68 this morning and totally agree with what you boys are saying.

Unfortunately I feel that Kelty and Brora are going to be screwed over in all this.

Would the be allowed into League 2 if they showed they were willing to use Zoom and Whatsapp like other progressive clubs? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Listened to the Stenny chairman there. Mozza never grilled him that much and he was firing excuses left, right and centre.

Stenny have taken the financial hit from not being able to rob us every season. They even said they wouldnt miss our money.

Karma catching up with them and its time everyone found their level. Disappointing as the whole system reeks of self preservation and before we know it the LL will be at a higher standard than League 2.

The most refreshing thing about the LL is not having to play everyone twice, or 6 times if you meet in the play-offs, or up to 10 times if you met in every cup (replah in scottish).

Makes the games bigger and season more interesting.

The community work the club is doing is outstanding though. Hats off to them.

2 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:

Listened to the Stenny chairman there. Mozza never grilled him that much and he was firing excuses left, right and centre.

That's fair - didn't think there was much to gain by going full on to be honest, was keen to get some full views on record from Iain regarding relegation at the bottom end of the SPFL as opposed to the top end (given every interview he's had so far has ignored our level).

Still hope that it was an interesting listen. He acknowledges a couple of times that there is a degree of hypocrisy there and makes it clear that clubs are absolutely being driven by self-interest. The shock for me was the fact that he sees the playoff remaining even in a 14 team league.

Really interesting interview with Stenhousemuir chairman. If you did shoot him down or argue strongly against what he was saying then interview wouldn't have revealed as much and would have been 5 or 10 minutes long.

It does really show the teams in league two have just as much self interest as Premiership teams in that they really don't want any more teams in their SPFL to dilute the money they get and make them more likely to find their natural level which is the Lowland League in all honesty for Stenhousemuir and Albion Rovers plus others. I had to listen again when he said that even in a 14 team league should only be 1 relegation place via a play off. I wanted to suggest to him if was 14-14-14 if he thought would be fair if only one promotion spot then from each league via play off only too? I would think he would be against that!!

Also that he wanted no relegation for 2 years and cited formula one safety cars. Using same example thats for one race not for a full season of races.

They keep saying teams will go out of business surely simply cutting their wage bills to suitable level example £50 a week and if end up in Lowland League then rebuild as East Stirling have done and Berwick Rangers are doing. Stenny and Albion Rovers would actually have more chance of trophies and cup finals that he talked about in the Lowland League than in SPFL and would probably find it far less stressful in a 16 team Lowland League than bottom 4 club of SPFL hoping and praying that big non league clubs that will finish above them like Brora, Kelty, Bonnyrigg, Talbot etc don't come up anytime soon.

Really interesting interview indeed. I second the criticism against him by posters above, so no reason to state that again. But he does have a point about the hypocricy of the Premiership clubs keeping an excessive % of income to themselves whist expecting them to deliver exactly the reconstruction the Premiership clubs want.