Junior Cup 18-19

MEADOWXI

Draw for 1st and 2nd Rounds annouced,

The draw for Round 1 & 2 of the Scottish Junior Cup will take place at Hampden Park on Thursday 23rd August at 1pm

If drawn in the 1st Rd tie,  the Match will be played on Sat 15th September with the 2nd rd ties played on Sat 29th September.

Think the 1st round is looking loike only one game due to the drop in numbers from the East

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MEADOWXI said:

Draw for 1st and 2nd Rounds annouced,

The draw for Round 1 & 2 of the Scottish Junior Cup will take place at Hampden Park on Thursday 23rd August at 1pm

If drawn in the 1st Rd tie,  the Match will be played on Sat 15th September with the 2nd rd ties played on Sat 29th September.

Think the 1st round is looking loike only one game due to the drop in numbers from the East

Two dates with 2 weeks apart leaves time to play one replay if the draw is to play out as above. Why not give teams byes into second round to make sure you use the two weeks between for a large number of replays. 

This would minimise the number of replays in October when weather might have a bigger impact. 

Hope  I've made sense here if not I’m sure I will be shot down. 

Two dates with 2 weeks apart leaves time to play one replay if the draw is to play out as above. Why not give teams byes into second round to make sure you use the two weeks between for a large number of replays. 
This would minimise the number of replays in October when weather might have a bigger impact. 
There definitely is only 1 tie in Round 1, 128 teams will play in round 2 at the end of September, it was late October before that happened in the last few years.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

There definitely is only 1 tie in Round 1, 128 teams will play in round 2 at the end of September, it was late October before that happened in the last few years.

I understand that and we had round two ties still being played weeks if not months later impacting on numerous league games  You 

13 minutes ago, Viewparker said:

There is only one game in the 1st round.

Competition has 129 entrants.  The one tie reduces it to 128 for the 2nd round, any other competition would have probably called the game on 15 Sept Preliminary Round.

127 teams are getting a bye in the 1st round

I understand that and we had round two ties still being played weeks if not months later impacting on numerous league games  You 
Round 2 was scheduled for October 28th with 64 ties. 4 postponed, 6 draws.

Nov 4th, 10 ties, 3 postponed, 2 of which were also off the week before. 1 of the originally postponed ties was drawn.

Nov 11th 4 ties, all settled that day.

Granted, round 3 was a different matter, but there will be half the amount of teams involved this season compared to the same time last year, so hopefully there will be less ties postponed on multiple occasions.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Round 2 was scheduled for October 28th with 64 ties. 4 postponed, 6 draws.

Nov 4th, 10 ties, 3 postponed, 2 of which were also off the week before. 1 of the originally postponed ties was drawn.

Nov 11th 4 ties, all settled that day.

Granted, round 3 was a different matter, but there will be half the amount of teams involved this season compared to the same time last year, so hopefully there will be less ties postponed on multiple occasions.

Thanks for that info. 

The fixture chaos at the end of last year ( or most years) was caused by numerous events all of which have an incremental impact  that leads to big problems 

Having an awareness of what went before  provides evidence for change.  Just doing the same thing year in year out is madness but I’m glad to say that some positives have came about this year with a more comprehensive fixture list to start but that will not solve all of the problems  

Guest brycey
14 minutes ago, RobM said:

Final's still gonnae be at Rugby Park.

yes and auchinleck will be there again - the kings of ayrshire 

28 minutes ago, fb4 said:

Why not play cup ties to a finish on the day save replays mounting up and causing a fixture backlog 

Do you mean a penalty shoot out , with or without extra time being played? Or just keep playing until one club scores another goal and declare them the winner? It could be a very long game and spectators might start wandering off after three or four hours.

This a very vague suggestion and clubs have indicated that they prefer the current method  of settling the tie, i.e. a replay then a  shoot out. It has worked very well and no one has suggested we go back to the days of three or four replays.

2 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Do you mean a penalty shoot out , with or without extra time being played? Or just keep playing until one club scores another goal and declare them the winner? It could be a very long game and spectators might start wandering off after three or four hours.

This a very vague suggestion and clubs have indicated that they prefer the current method  of settling the tie, i.e. a replay then a  shoot out. It has worked very well and no one has suggested we go back to the days of three or four replays.

It works badly in the current setup, disrupting league fixtures for both the clubs involved and those they're supposed to be playing. @fb4 obviously means going straight to penalties plus or minus extra time. It's not an unreasonable suggestion.

Every tie up to the latter stages (for me the last 16 or quarters) should be a one tie round, played to a finish on the day, instead of call off, game drawn, call off, call off, replay.... And so on. The current set up delays teams considerably - weeks in some cases. This has the knock on effect at the business end of the season (promotion and relegation battles influenced) by having guys play sat, Mon, Wed, sat, Mon, Wed, Sat.... It's not great in its current form and requires modernised. 

4 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Obviously you are of greater intelligence so I will make it easy same as the West straight to pens and for you incase you are thinking about sheep I mean penalties 

5 hours ago, fb4 said:

Obviously you are of greater intelligence so I will make it easy same as the West straight to pens and for you incase you are thinking about sheep I mean penalties 

Thanks for the compliment. Say what you mean in the first instance. Vague suggestions just invite this kind of response. Clubs have made it very clear that they prefer the current setup. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 hour ago, garrellburn said:

Thanks for the compliment. Say what you mean in the first instance. Vague suggestions just invite this kind of response. Clubs have made it very clear that they prefer the current setup. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I understand your team doesn't get to the latter stages of competition and your league programme is usually finish in March but it would possible ease fixture congestion for teams playing for trophies leagues and at times relegation if cup competition was played to a finish at the first game 

8 hours ago, naetshirt said:
13 hours ago, fb4 said:
Why not play cup ties to a finish on the day save replays mounting up and causing a fixture backlog 

Best post yet stops away teams playing for replay. Most sensible suggestion yet. So not a consideration by SJFA!

...and when the days gets dark at 4pm? Candlelight presumably?

Archived