Queen’s Park v Berwick Rangers

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so I think we've seen enough now to make some observations on where we are.
Defence. Yes looks more solid than last year and happy with the keeper although worrying in the second half how poor opposition cut us open so easily. Better sides would have made us pay. Unusually for Lachlan he had a poor game today by his standards so far.
Midfield. Need to find ways of getting Roberts on the ball more as he's one most likely to create something. For most of the first half today the game passed him by due to the obsessive tactic of trying to hit balls over the top for Smart. Only once today did we get a midfielder running in behind the striker and unfortunately it fell to Jamie who's finishing isn't his strength. We need to get Roberts into these sorts of positions.
Attack. Oh dear. Yes I dearly hope Gus is looking to bring in young loanee from a full time club but you've got to look at the service for the forward which was poor again today. Adam has plenty pace and energy but the final product isn't there yet. Billy well he's out of position as we know but maybe worth persevering with out on the right. If he's going to play out there though he needs to work on better crossing. The final straw on the striking front today was the 2 on 1 near the end when MacPherson and Sharpe had the opportunity to put the game to bed. What can you say. So frustrating. Still reasons for optimism. Time will tell.

Might have been awful on the eye, but it’s a huge positive in terms of the work ethic of the players that we squeezed the maximum out of a poor display. Can’t remember the last time we dug out a win at Hampden like that. 

Yes wasn’t the level of performance we’ve seen recently and very few cohesive passages of play but none the less great to secure the 3 points.

Shouldnt lose sight of the fact that Gus is still without a fully fit squad and is getting good early results and performances from  a bunch of guys with very limited experience at this level.

I do however feel for some of the team who are on the receiving end of his endless touch line antics...must be a steep learning curve at a time when they just want to build their own confidence.

Doubt he will know his players well enough at this stage to appreciate the effect this constant bawling may have on their performances...after all what may motivate and improve one player could have quite the opposite effect on another.

Should say I am by no means a quiet and retiring type myself but how much can a player take on board during an active 90 min game and especially if it’s all so one dimensionally critical.Think I only heard one positive shout during the whole game when Dean tried an unsuccessful forward pass.

IMO think Lachlan’s performance was effected by Gus constantly dictating how he should play and without naming others there were a few who seemed to struggle with the constant negative barking.

Hopefully in time everyone can learn and improve as after all I believe there is potential in this squad.

Considering we didn't even have Hope to hang onto a couple of months ago as the back door swung off it's hinges it's a remarkably good start to the season. The LC games went as we might have expected result-wise but the performance levels were very good. I am already saisfied that the group of players we have are enough to keep us at the upper end of the league. 

Of course, it's the team that is important if we are to have real success. Thus far, the critical area of central defence/goalkeeper is excellent with some good guys in reserve. The wing backs have shown well on defensive duties but still only faint signs of an exciting combination up the line on either left or right flanks. McKernon was at the best we've seen from him yesterday and the midfield pressing was good, especially first half. But a five-man midfield at home to a heavy and slow defence wasn't the best use of resource. Osadolor's efforts would have been rewarded with closer support and four in the middle would have been enough.

Individually, I haven't looked at anyone (apart from one of the subs yesterday) and thought they shouldn't be on the park. In fact, each player has shown good individual skill and commitment. But the shape is taking a familiar form already. Gerry & Gibby look a formidable pairing but both lack pace and will instinctively sit deep meaning the lone striker is very far away. If Gus plays with a five midfield the wingers need to push higher, and consequently the full backs, and the three in the middle need a triangle rather than a flat line. I guess when Gus was saying about "partnerships" all over the field this is where the improvements will come.

Still very early days with so many new players. I think we'll get there quite quickly providing the players keep their confidence and belief in themselves. Maybe if Gus finds a new no.2 coach it will be someone who can focus on attacking play and a "partnership" off the park will get the best from everyone. Exciting times!

See this tactic of one minute we are in possession at the edge of the opposition box and the next we are passing back to our keeper. What usually happens is that our keeper has to clear under pressure and hands possession back to the other team. I would rather lose possession in the other teams 18 yard box having tried to score.

QP were poor, we were poorer. We did force a few chances and a couple of saves - but looked limited in several areas of the park. How much fundamental, how much attributable to the delay thusfar unknowable.

Btw, please turn down the ear-splitting tannoy and get some decent music.

On 11/08/2018 at 20:12, The Spider said:

I also don't like the fact that Roberts is no longer in a central midfield role, and I think it's no coincidence that in the two games since being pushed out wide that the game has passed him by.

I was also a bit disappointed by our formation today where Smart was a lone striker with very little support.

When you are on top of a team then that's the very time to ramp up the pressure and try to get a second to ease the pressure. Passing the ball back occasionally to switch play and start a new attack on the other wing is fine, but when the opposition press and the ball has to go back to the keeper then we end up punting the ball into their half and lose momentum.

On 11/08/2018 at 23:37, houstonspider said:

Midfield. Need to find ways of getting Roberts on the ball more as he's one most likely to create something.

For most of the first half today the game passed him by due to the obsessive tactic of trying to hit balls over the top for Smart.

See this tactic of one minute we are in possession at the edge of the opposition box and the next we are passing back to our keeper. What usually happens is that our keeper has to clear under pressure and hands possession back to the other team.

three good points you made there HS

Thought I heard 629 over the PA system - turns out to be 679 according to QP twitter. There were over 500 at the Spartans game, so crowds have held up, even improving on last season. If there's much more of "wan guy up front" like on Saturday then more than a few may be turned off. Team is off to a reasonable start this season, but obviously a lot of work to be done yet.

43 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

Thought I heard 629 over the PA system - turns out to be 679 according to QP twitter. There were over 500 at the Spartans game, so crowds have held up, even improving on last season. If there's much more of "wan guy up front" like on Saturday then more than a few may be turned off. Team is off to a reasonable start this season, but obviously a lot of work to be done yet.

Thought it did look a wee bit busier than normal on Saturday. A shame Berwick don’t bring the same numbers they used to. Used to be a decent wee bit of needle against them.

Archived