Queen’s Park v Berwick Rangers

Good starts by both sides last Saturday against tough opposition. Our home record was what relegated us last year, but the squad looks more quick and dynamic this term, which will hopefully help in the wide open spaces of Hampden.

Four of our five games have seen us focus on soaking up pressure, but we’d hope this one will be different and we’ll hopefully be on the front foot. Given that we’ll be playing in a different way and we’re still gelling, I’m not expecting any fireworks yet. However, we’ve looked like we’re capable of playing some nice stuff in spells.

Three of the next four games are at home to sides who aren’t supposed to be top end challengers. If we want to be in the playoff mix, they are games we would be hoping to take a majority of points from. We’ll certainly have a better indicator of where we are by the end of them.

Every point has to be earned and I’ve no doubt it’ll be a hard fought game. Here’s hoping we can get our first win on the board.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really wanted to be at Hampden to see Robbie's young warriors  but illness has put paid to my plans. After all our shenanigans, the team pulled a cracker of a result out of nowhere last week. So it's a typical Berwick away day, we'll either be feckin tremendous or feckin terrible, who knows?  I'll go for 2-0 Berwick as the 2nd coming of our no longer deposed chairman spreads joy and wonder amongst the playing squad

Tough one to call, this. QP are the relegated team and could be seen as favourites, but with how much change their squad has seen it's tough to call. Meanwhile, a Berwick side that still needs strengthening here and there is coming off a good result v. Stirling.

Won't be a high scoring affair from our side at the very least. I would be happy with a 0-0 but reckon QP will knock one or two in for a 1-0/2-0 home win.

5 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Hopefully we can do to QP what we did to Stirling, drag them down to our level and f**k their arses. Sadly, I can't see it. 2-0 Spiders, but Jordan Orru to run riot. 

you're a cheery wee soul BTU 

Good to read that the Club continue to move with the times ..................."would like to encourage players' girlfriends to travel on the (supporters') bus" and that all the diversity training has clearly paid off.

Berwick held up in traffic. KO 3.30 but they're still not here yet.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

That's what happens when you (1) decide to close the A1 for roadworks on a Saturday in August and (2) use a diversion route that's unsuitable for HGVs and coaches via two bridges that are only one lane wide. Traveling down south today and it took 4 hours from Methil to Berwick.

Not really sure what to take from that game in regards to what the season might hold. Two completely contrasting halves. Thought we started well, dictated the game and looked dangerous.

Second half was the most atrocious I've seen us play so far. Will never understand our consistent obsession with playing the ball back when we reach the box. Gavin Lachlan was unusually poor.

Really frustrating to watch.

I mostly liked what I saw. We have a defence which inspires confidence in front of a decent goalie. Midfield worked hard and won a lot of ball. We are desperately lightweight up front and if we can secure a decent loan striker we are rolling. I think both Osadalor and Mortimer could play away without any opposition on the park and still not score a goal between them although their effort cannot be faulted. I thought Sharpe looked more likely when he came on. The passing back when you are winning is fine by me providing the lads at the back are competent to deal with it. This season they look as though they are. If we have possession they opposition cannot do anyrhing. Gerry was my MOTM by a mile.

Can't fault that reasoning Willie but it's a dangerous tactic in my view. When you are on top of a team then that's the very time to ramp up the pressure and try to get a second to ease the pressure. Passing the ball back occasionally to switch play and start a new attack on the other wing is fine, but when the opposition press and the ball has to go back to the keeper then we end up punting the ball into their half and lose momentum.

What then happens is that the other team sense we are content to sit on our one goal lead, they gain confidence from that and start to dominate play. At no point today with half an hour to go did I believe we would actually win that game, and in the end when you look at who had the more clear-cut chances I think we were fortunate to do so against a side which I don't think will be winning more games than they lose (I'm trying to be kind there) this season.

I agree that a decent loan-striker would be the missing piece of the jigsaw, but I was also a bit disappointed by our formation today where Smart was a lone striker with very little support, unlike in previous games this season where we've had two guys pressing the opposition defence. I also don't like the fact that Roberts is no longer in a central midfield role, and I think it's no coincidence that in the two games since being pushed out wide that the game has passed him by.

But it's great to win games when you don't play well so a lot to be thankful for! All we need now is to get Roberts back in the groove again, find a striker who'll get into double figures this season (if Smart's left to do that role on his own it ain't gonna be him) and get Davie Galt back, and then we'll definitely have a side capable of going back up again.

5 minutes ago, The Spider said:

I agree that a decent loan-striker would be the missing piece of the jigsaw, but I was also a bit disappointed by our formation today where Smart was a lone striker with very little support, unlike in previous games this season where we've had two guys pressing the opposition defence. I also don't like the fact that Roberts is no longer in a central midfield role, and I think it's no coincidence that in the two games since being pushed out wide that the game has passed him by.

I felt this at Peterhead too. I hoped it was a one game strategy, but launching balls for Smart to run after on his own will achieve nothing. Also think Roberts could be a very good player for us if he's at the centre of things.

I couldn't make it today but good to get a clean sheet, the defence looks confident this season. Peters rested for Tuesday maybe? I'd be happy to rest a few players against Ayr, see a few new faces and take what we get.

Archived