The gentle pleasures of watching football in the Scottish Borders

Old Scrotum

3 of the shots are at Whitehill but no mention in the text. Makes a change from being described as an Edinburgh club I suppose.

As one of the Guardian comments says, somebody's ramped up the clarity slider in Lightroom to make it look grim.

1 hour ago, Soor Plooms said:

In what way? I thinks it’s brilliant...even though we got beat by Keith ☹️

He makes it sound bleak and morose. I had a great time down at Gala recently, Scottish Cup tie with Linlithgow Rose. The stand is a proper work of architecture, the setting is uplifting, the crack is good and my kids had fun roaming around and manipulating me into letting them go to the food stall repeatedly by offering to get me things. Last week I really enjoyed the Vale of Leithen v Gala game, the football was spicy and the crowd was vocal.

I think the article was playing to an urban narrative of the countryside being a quiet, slow, stoic, muted place, with the accompanying faded, atmospheric photos. That's not my experience at all. 

21 minutes ago, GordonS said:

He makes it sound bleak and morose. I had a great time down at Gala recently, Scottish Cup tie with Linlithgow Rose. The stand is a proper work of architecture, the setting is uplifting, the crack is good and my kids had fun roaming around and manipulating me into letting them go to the food stall repeatedly by offering to get me things. Last week I really enjoyed the Vale of Leithen v Gala game, the football was spicy and the crowd was vocal.

I think the article was playing to an urban narrative of the countryside being a quiet, slow, stoic, muted place, with the accompanying faded, atmospheric photos. That's not my experience at all. 

I don't think he does make it sound bleak and morose. 

I love this quote: " In every increment it can afford, here is a club devoted to widening its appeal."

I think he's a fine writer.

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

3 of the shots are at Whitehill but no mention in the text. Makes a change from being described as an Edinburgh club I suppose.

As one of the Guardian comments says, somebody's ramped up the clarity slider in Lightroom to make it look grim.

Here you go ... ‘Further, you may become engrossed by the varied noises a wet football pitch makes – squelches, paddling, slurps, slaps, gurgles.’

Best thing about Gala is going through the bar and out the tunnel so as no tae pay. He should try the soft warm breeze at Warner Park, the gentle seagulls swooping doon defending their weans and the soft shouts of “shut fucking up ye toonie c**t” 

53 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Best thing about Gala is going through the bar and out the tunnel so as no tae pay. He should try the soft warm breeze at Warner Park, the gentle seagulls swooping doon defending their weans and the soft shouts of “shut fucking up ye toonie c**t” 

You had to go and open your big mooth. Newkys got 3 weeks to think of a plan B now.  

3 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

You had to go and open your big mooth. Newkys got 3 weeks to think of a plan B now.  

That tight arse will just give it the “aye am committee pal” line :lol:

1 hour ago, heedthebaa said:

That tight arse will just give it the “aye am committee pal” line :lol:

By way you still got that badge I gave ye :whistle

5 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Been there t shirt bought. astro pitch behind goals it is  ;)

Wee username change for ye there...

You tight c**t! [emoji23]

Archived