LinkedIn thread

The boss here is always reposting "inspirational" stuff on LinkedIn. In line with that mode of thinking, just yesterday she pinned a quote above the clock in machine. It's a full paragraph and is ridiculous tosh about showing gratitude. 

Does anyone feel inspired when they read that kind of thing?

Just now, jimbaxters said:

The boss here is always reposting "inspirational" stuff on LinkedIn. In line with that mode of thinking, just yesterday she pinned a quote above the clock in machine. It's a full paragraph and is ridiculous tosh about showing gratitude. 

At least you’ll have an excuse when she pulls you up for clocking in late. Just tell her you were reading her amazing poster. 

10 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It definitely has its uses (I got my current job through LinkedIn, which came with a significant pay rise), but the site is mostly completely unbearable. 

Exactly this - all it's good for.

Some of the posts on there are absolute fantasy land and the sort of thing that makes you wonder how the hell a lot of people found their seemingly lofty position. It is the original 'Didn't Happen' factory.

One of my former colleagues now lives and works in Korea and posts about about that quite a lot. I think those are the only posts I see on there that I actually enjoy - they're interesting and insightful. 

Edited by Michael W

34 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Yes but not to be a productive team member.

office-space-okay.gif

A massive Gammon I used to work with has alerted me via his "liked content" showing up for me, to the tremendous amount of pure unadulterated gammon/yer da' type stuff on linked in aswell.

You can imagine much of it recently was really clever climate takes about how Gretas backpack is actually PeTrOlEuM DeRiVeD pRoDuCt!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Bob Cratchit laps it up.

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

A 2 minute check shows that interestingly enough her company is dormant and has never traded.

Which is odd for a company she claims has helped its clients grow by £127m in 3 years.

I suspect she's been handing out free training to her BNI contacts and using that to win awards etc.

The business networking world is chock full of people like this.

Great detective work! LinkedIn is just a breeding ground for the fantasist out there!

I use it a lot in my line of work for all sorts of things. It does have its uses. I check it most days. And without fail I cringe at the absolute state of people. 

Two recent fads. Posting pictures of themselves as children before a long, self indulgent, mawkish post about how “this little girl was me” and “look at me now”. It’s really just “look at me” though, poorly disguised. 

and now every time someone loses a pet, they post sad images of the dog or cat on its last legs, and talk about how sad they are. 

These are grown adults but I wish they would fucking grow up. Is their need for dopamine so dominant that they abandon judgment and think “I know I will look like a w**k but I need my hit”? I think so, on a subconscious level at least.

when my dog dies I will be heartbroken. Why would I want to share that on LinkedIn? Exploiting the death of lived pets for likes is just beyond pathetic.

People either don’t know what’s an appropriate way to behave online or they think they can just get away with it. But I judge them all and I’m sure many do.

On 27/03/2019 at 14:08, fuzzydunlop said:

I’m getting grief at my work as I don’t have or want a LinkedIn profile. Apparently it helps with ‘networking’.

I wouldn’t even put where I work on my facebook profile(unlike a lot of the c*nts who work here who see it as some sort of badge of honour)..more because I doubt pictures of me oot my nut at 3am would go down well.

Probably covered elsewhere but the whole networking thing fills me with fear.  I was asked(told) to attend a conference about a year ago.

On the itinerary they actually had a time slot for ‘networking’.  I thought I was just going to listen to some speeches, free lunch, then f*ck off early

The problem was I was attending as a supplier to an industry so the folk there all knew each other to some degree.  As I knew no one there and I’m not the most outgoing person in the world as it is(unless I’ve had a bevvy and its all change)  I essentially just stood in a corner watching the clock for an hour. To make matters worse my phone ran out of charge so I literally had f*ck all to do.  Maybe its me but I just feel like a total pr*ck walking up to a complete stranger and saying “so what line of work are you in?”..mainly because I couldn’t give a f*ck….in fact I find any sort of work small talk completely mindnumbing.

I go to an exhibition in Hamburg every two years with my work and for at least 1 hour of every day we are encouraged to go to other stands and "network". I spend this time sat at one of the many outdoor pop-up bars sinking pints. 

On 30/05/2021 at 15:41, Honest_Man#1 said:

I don’t understand this. He’s saying he raised all his employees wages and for some unexplained reasons he’s getting death threats and burglary?

He's basically a communist to Trump loving Americans. Not sure I believe the knife story, but I certainly believe he'll get death threats from some. 

13 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He's basically a communist to Trump loving Americans. Not sure I believe the knife story, but I certainly believe he'll get death threats from some. 

His brother took him to court claiming he was paying himself too much and not looking after the interests of the stockholders. Personally, I think taking care of the employees is more important but not everyone feels that way. Anyway, the brother lost his case.

I believe his wife has also claimed abuse but this didn't get far due to lack of evidence.

But mostly, he's a lefty. 

As others have said, the state of LinkedIn these days is fucking awful. Crap like this. I don't even understand what its meant to mean. I used it recently when I was looking for a new job but now I've got one its getting turned off. 

image.png

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

As others have said, the state of LinkedIn these days is fucking awful. Crap like this. I don't even understand what its meant to mean. I used it recently when I was looking for a new job but now I've got one its getting turned off. 

image.png

That is fucking tragic.

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

image.png

What the f**k is that supposed to even mean?

I use LinkedIn for work and aye, I've seen loads of stuff like that mentioned here. Add in the guys who run successful companies, employ loads of people, seem sensible and sane but then come out with all the anti-vaxxer nonsense! Another eye-brow raising one is just how creative some women can be with their profile picture. I was at an event the other week and got talking to one of the guest speakers. We agreed to swap info over LinkedIn so I pulled out my phone to connect with her. I did a noticeable doubletake though. Her profile pic was of a very attractive mid twenties blonde when in reality she was a dumpy wee woman in her forties. It was her in the pic, just heavily edited. Seen quite a few like that. I imagine Tinder must be like Russian roulette.

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

I use LinkedIn for work and aye, I've seen loads of stuff like that mentioned here. Add in the guys who run successful companies, employ loads of people, seem sensible and sane but then come out with all the anti-vaxxer nonsense! Another eye-brow raising one is just how creative some women can be with their profile picture. I was at an event the other week and got talking to one of the guest speakers. We agreed to swap info over LinkedIn so I pulled out my phone to connect with her. I did a noticeable doubletake though. Her profile pic was of a very attractive mid twenties blonde when in reality she was a dumpy wee woman in her forties. It was her in the pic, just heavily edited. Seen quite a few like that. I imagine Tinder must be like Russian roulette.

My work encourages pictures on the directory. This was to help one identify the other when they met. Direction was given to use a business pass style photo...

I'd recognise them if I met them up a mountain, in the Yankee Stadium or had a time machine and went back to The Tuxedo Princess in 1992.