Airdrieonians V Montrose

Montrose deserved that today. They looked organised and were very hard to break down. Time wasting was a bit ott though. We had absolutely no idea how to play them with many players looking off the pace or the boil, Scott Stewart most notably.

Onto next week I think we have to change it, Victoria looked our biggest threat today, again after coming off the bench. I’d start him in place of Stewart. Also worth noting that Millar wasn’t playing or on the bench... what’s the story there, the math preview said he was likely to have recovered.

Was optimistic going into the game today. After the performance against Forfar last week, I expected them to be right up for it. I thought we can’t play that badly again. How wrong I was. We were actually worse!

And Scott Stewart - MOM? What a joke! Second worst player on the park behind Edwards.

There looked to be a decent crowd there today with a lot of returning fans and a lot of new faces. And with all the young guys there from the Community Club and their parents, there was an opportunity to capture new fans. But yet again Airdrie have royally fucked it up!

A much better Montrose today. Last week was always gonna be difficult at home to the Smokies, flag day, big crowd and all that. Cert for a flop and it was.

Today we made changes to tighten up behind the front two and not give away stupid goals as per last week. Our starting line up was nothing like anyone would have predicted but credit to Stewart Petrie - it worked.  The back line mopped up well, we generally bypassed midfield which wasn't pretty but the young lad making his debut away game was full of running alongside the guile of Ross Campbell up top. Overall Airdrie were stretched despite having control of midfield but they were mostly going nowhere and will need to be better if they are to challenge at the top.

The Mo won't trouble good sides like Arbroath but should gather enough points to be OK - but what do I know!!

PS: Hope the Airdrie keeper's injury isn't as bad as it looked. Don't like things like that to happen to any player and I'm not gonna bang on about it  should have been a penalty. These things happen. Mind you the yellow card for Watson was a bit harsh. He was entitled to clear the ball and the Airdrie lad came off worst but was soon Ok. Swings and roundabouts.

Great team performance yesterday. I was somewhat apprehensive looking at the team lines prior to kick off.

However SP got it right again with a more experienced core.

We didn't let Airdrie settle or play with Ross Campbell leading the line fantastically all game. Looked gubbed in the last 10.

Should of scored more, with a stitch on penalty denied that led to the Airdrie keeper going off. Hope the leg injury isn't as bad as it looked.

Jamie Redman, Terry Masson and Rossco were standouts but no failures.

Thought Martin Rennie looked good when he come on, the lad has some strength and continues to impress but still raw.

Held on a wee bit at the end, but yesterday buried any thoughts that we wouldn't compete in this league for me.

Thankfully missed the game but a terrible result. It seems like the starting team and/or formation isn't working. We're defensively solid enough but struggling to create anything going forward. 

As I said, a terrible result but hopefully one that the management team and squad can learn and improve from in terms of team selection, personnel and tactics. I hope both the management team and squad are up to it... 

3 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Minter for Airdrie. Thought this was the season you stopped being absolute diddies?

TBF Ayr got beat by an Airdrie team worse than Montrose last season and still won the league so there's hope yet.

Archived