Airdrieonians V Montrose

Will it be two wins on the bounce for the Diamonds or will Montrose rekindle their fire and provide a dampener for the opening home game of the season?

We can’t be as poor as we were against Forfar two weeks in a row, surely. I’m going to go for a home win with a much improved performance and hopefully the return of Millar and McDonald will provide a good base for us to be pretty comfortable. Do we start with one of either McIntosh or Victoria to shake things up a little or do we go with the tried and tested?

I’ve never actually seen Montrose or noticed them coming through so it’ll be interesting to see who they set up against us.

The same score line as last Saturday in our favour is my prediction and hopefully in front of a decent Diamonds support.

Like the other posters, I don’t know much about Montrose. They’ll be smarting a bit after a heavy defeat at home last week.

If we are to have a good season this is the kind of game we must win. I’m certain Millar will be in the starting line up if he’s fit. I can’t see either Duffy or Carrick being left out and I expect Findlay will be looking for the subs to work their magic again, if required.

Will be interesting to see what sort of crowd we get for this. It’s a game we really should be winning, but will be a tricky encounter. Gonna go for 2-0 Airdrie. Duffy to score early in the first half and Leighton McIntosh to come on and finish them off in the 85th minute. 

Arguably a very important game, as there clearly is a wave of optimism that should see a better than usual crowd with some supporters coming to the game for the first time in years, and if that crowd is entertained by a good performance that should ensure that those additional punters would want to return and possibly attract yet more, but if there is a stutter then those coming for the first time in a while could take the attitude of "same old Airdrie" and not return.  Hoping that there is an emphatic win - 4-0 should be possible.

Arguably a very important game, as there clearly is a wave of optimism that should see a better than usual crowd with some supporters coming to the game for the first time in years, and if that crowd is entertained by a good performance that should ensure that those additional punters would want to return and possibly attract yet more, but if there is a stutter then those coming for the first time in a while could take the attitude of "same old Airdrie" and not return.  Hoping that there is an emphatic win - 4-0 should be possible.

What's a 'good' home attendance for Airdrie these days?

Just curious to find out what kind of impact too long in this division has on a club of your size and what an average home crowd attendance would be?

19 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Just curious to find out what kind of impact too long in this division has on a club of your size and what an average home crowd attendance would be?

Been about 800 average but often less.   About 50% of what it was 10 years ago

This is the data from an on-line resource, unfortunately 2017-2018 data is not included but i a sure there was a further drop to below 800 due to last years gloom and doom.  Note that the figure for 2013-2014 was inflated due to large away attendances from Rangers, Ayr and Dunfermline.  I have used the "old" method of league numbering for consistency.  

2016-17 – 2nd    830

2015-16 – 2nd    851

2014-15 – 2nd    828

2013-14 – 2nd    1537

2012-13 – 1st      933

2011-12 – 2nd    833

2010-11 – 2nd    788

2009-10 – 1st      1080

2008-09 – 1st      1347

2007-08 – 2nd    981

2006-07 – 1st      1425

2005-06 – 1st      1426

2004-05 – 1st      2013

2003-04 – 2nd    1857

2002-03 – 2nd    1437

If we were to get over 1000 I’d say that’s pretty decent given our recent crowds but if we put a winning team on the pitch and continue or decent form for a few weeks then there’s no reason to say that it won’t go higher.

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

If we were to get over 1000 I’d say that’s pretty decent given our recent crowds but if we put a winning team on the pitch and continue or decent form for a few weeks then there’s no reason to say that it won’t go higher.

I’m not so sure. Once people stop going they generally don’t come back. I was hoping the season ticket sales would be significantly up but not all that many more so far. Hopefully some people will sign up by the weekend.

in case you think I’m a doom merchant I’m really optimistic about performance this year judging by what I saw at Hamilton.

2 hours ago, waysider said:

I’m not so sure. Once people stop going they generally don’t come back. I was hoping the season ticket sales would be significantly up but not all that many more so far. Hopefully some people will sign up by the weekend.

in case you think I’m a doom merchant I’m really optimistic about performance this year judging by what I saw at Hamilton.

I think a few will get season tickets on Saturday before the game and boost the numbers. 

I'm also optimistic about our prospects this year.

I thought we looked really organised against Accies and passed the ball to good effect.

I wasn't so impressed against Forfar. Until the subs came on we looked as though we could play all day without scoring but Victoria and McIntosh changed the game. Victoria has scored 1 and had 2 assists in his 2 cameo appearances in the last week and is already proving his worth.

We seemed to miss McDonald  as Josh was up against a good opponent and had fewer opportunities to get foward which reduced the effectiveness of our attacks.

I'm sure quite a few season tickets will be purchased this weekend. After quite a number of years I think at last we have a team worthy of our support thanks to the new regime

Reasonably confident, as confident as an Airdrie fan can be, going into this one. This is the sort of game we should be winning if we are looking to challenge for promotion and indeed ultimately get promoted. 

I can't say I know much about Montrose either but I am looking forward to playing them this season, particularly away. They'll be hurting after last week and looking for a reaction but the scoreline and the fact they haven't really added to their squad means I think we will win, albeit Montrose will give us a competitive game. Hopefully, Millar and MacDonald will be back in the side. I think I saw on Facebook someone said he had a two-game suspension but no idea if that is true or not. 

In terms of the crowd I can't see us breaking the 1000 barrier at this game (although it would be fucking great if we did) but hopefully we will at some point this season. We have got good crowds for the odd game over the last few years but have always underperformed and never given a reason for people to come back. We've sorted the club off the field and now it's time to do the business on the field. 

Reasonably confident, as confident as an Airdrie fan can be, going into this one. This is the sort of game we should be winning if we are looking to challenge for promotion and indeed ultimately get promoted. 
I can't say I know much about Montrose either but I am looking forward to playing them this season, particularly away. They'll be hurting after last week and looking for a reaction but the scoreline and the fact they haven't really added to their squad means I think we will win, albeit Montrose will give us a competitive game. Hopefully, Millar and MacDonald will be back in the side. I think I saw on Facebook someone said he had a two-game suspension but no idea if that is true or not. 
In terms of the crowd I can't see us breaking the 1000 barrier at this game (although it would be fucking great if we did) but hopefully we will at some point this season. We have got good crowds for the odd game over the last few years but have always underperformed and never given a reason for people to come back. We've sorted the club off the field and now it's time to do the business on the field. 
Will miss it and season ticket bought before I realised so I will predict a win and 750.

Would love to say Montrose will take it to Airdrie with a fire in their bellies after the Arbroath game, but given that nothing has changed, other than the possible return of Bolo, can't see how....

Another tough game, but we can only hope. 

Season Ticket Sales 

KitAid season tickets for kids around 350

Below figs are all adults

To date this season - 315 - would expect to reach 330 - also many season ticket holders of previous years upgrade to private box or are shareholders/directors.

Last Year (scaremonger season) - 275

2016/7 (full time season) - 321

2015/6 - 296

2014/5 - 303

2013/4 - 353 (when Rangers were in our division)

2012/3 - 283

Archived