Assistants in Premiership

thelangonline

Is this down to availability or just the lack of available referees in general ?

If so this may have a knock on effect for the the product we are trying to deliver and also a potential effect on results / decisions

I’d think that this will be a knock-on from the expanded East of Scotland ‘senior’ league. Might it mean that more officials are assigned games there, and consequentially fewer are available in the Juniors?

Is this down to availability or just the lack of available referees in general ?

If so this may have a knock on effect for the the product we are trying to deliver and also a potential effect on results / decisions

I heard that it is down to lack of referees. Was also told that there is a worry that some junior matches may need to be postponed due to this. Might not be true but concerning if it is.

This was discussed years ago with the advent of the lowland league, that there could be a shortage.

Bit of both from what I heard last week from a West Region official. Last season there were normally 13 West Region games with assistants, but so far this season they have been short on numbers due to there being less officials to go round and still a few missing due to holidays and other commitments.

Arthurlie v St Rochs had no linesman or AR if that's the technical term
They were listed as having them on the appointments list so there must have been a call off.

There was supposed to be 10 matches with assistants on Saturday, and listed as being 11 on Wednesday.

To be fair it doesn’t really matter if there are linesmen or not . Not quite sure what their remit is but its certainly not giving decisions .

Well maybe the odd shy . Waste of money for most clubs when you watch them robot run up and down the line .

To be fair it doesn’t really matter if there are linesmen or not . Not quite sure what their remit is but its certainly not giving decisions .

Well maybe the odd shy . Waste of money for most clubs when you watch them robot run up and down the line .
The clue is in the title "Assistant Referee."

In my opinion, all matches in the same league should either have assistant referees or not have them.

Some matches having assistants and others not having them is a farce, and not a level playing field.

Teams playing in the same league on the same day should be officiated to the same standards.

21 hours ago, omar said:

I’d think that this will be a knock-on from the expanded East of Scotland ‘senior’ league. Might it mean that more officials are assigned games there, and consequentially fewer are available in the Juniors?

It shouldn't be a direct result, as the total number of games (and hence linesman needed) hasn't changed. However, there will always be priorities, and senior is - by definition - a higher priority.

In my opinion, all matches in the same league should either have assistant referees or not have them.
Some matches having assistants and others not having them is a farce, and not a level playing field.
Teams playing in the same league on the same day should be officiated to the same standards.
Totally agree.

The problem faced with weekly allocations is that the eosfl is classed as higher importance due to it being in the pyramid. Last year there were only 13 teams in the eosfl, this year 39.....that means that the officials that would have taken games in the East and west superlegues are probably being redirected to the eosfl. 

It is another consequence of the eosfl having more teams within their set up and the sjfa not being classed as part of the Senior pyramid, at this stage. Hopefully within the next couple of seasons this will change, but I'd still tend to agree that all games in the top league should have the same level of officials at them, sadly though I'm not sure there is enough officials to satisfy these requirements. 

Looking at this Saturday, only two out of the eight Championship games have assistant referees. It should be all eight or none at all. It's not a level playing field.
I agree. I wonder how they decide which matches have assistants. Will your club be raising it as an issue?

I agree. I wonder how they decide which matches have assistants. Will your club be raising it as an issue?
I cannot speak for what my club will do without first consulting with them as a committee. I speak for myself on here, not as the club. Any official club statements are made on our official platforms.

23 hours ago, omar said:

Only 7 of the 18 East of Scotland Qualifying League Cup games at the weekend had ARs, while all the East Superleague games had ARs.

The upcoming Alex Jack Cup games and EoS Conference matches don't all have ARs, while five of the six East Superleague games have ARs assigned.

If you scroll back enough in the SJFA twitter, you can see that only 12 sets of ARs were appointed to the West Region this time last year.  During the season it would normally be 13 sets to cover all games in the top two divisions.

But if there's a shortage generally in the central belt then it's right that the Lowland League gets priority. And of course you have Scottish Cup games this weekend which also require ARs. Next season once the EoS has a Premier Division then no doubt that'll get priority in the east.

Yeah I was merely agreeing with what you say, I was trying to (and probably not successfully!) suggest that the eosfl will get preference after the LL and HL for officials to be appointed.... Sadly the sjfa leagues now take a position further down the line. But there are more games in the central belt, now tagged with a higher standing given the eosfl numbers, with not a lot of referees and assistants to go round. 

Archived