1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

You also said you’d prefer Callum Gallagher, which blatantly wouldn’t have been true. Two games in is hardly a vindication of any opinions.

No its not but john baird is quality...that fact remains.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You also said you’d prefer Callum Gallagher, which blatantly wouldn’t have been true. Two games in is hardly a vindication of any opinions.

I would. He’s another pacey player that scored more last season than Loy.

I genuinely believe Loy is gonna have a similar affect on you that Prunty had on us.

Player in there but broken and past it. Could be totally wrong and never said 2 games was any vindication either. Just amusing that Baird got two after what was said

Farcical. Kyle Hutton strolling about moaning at others. A smidgin of effort from him would be appreciated by the masses.

Bringing Loy off when 2-0 and chasing a game is mind-boggling. 

I presume the referee was young or inexperienced? He fell for every time-wasting tactic in the book. Fair play to Forfar, they saw it out well. I'm just disappointed we didn't pressure or push them at all and they didn't have to be particularly good to get their win. It was a stroll for them.

I'm far from being a member of the 'AITKEN OUT' crew, for which there seem to be an ever-growing number, but if Aitken persists in playing Hutton and Carswell in such a negatively set-up way, he could well find himself out on his ear before long.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I would. He’s another pacey player that scored more last season than Loy.

I genuinely believe Loy is gonna have a similar affect on you that Prunty had on us.

Player in there but broken and past it. Could be totally wrong and never said 2 games was any vindication either. Just amusing that Baird got two after what was said

Most Sons fans pointed out Baird would be a serious threat today. Hardly a surprise that he got on the scoresheet.

2 minutes ago, Bogheidman said:

Farcical. Kyle Hutton strolling about moaning at others. A smidgin of effort from him would be appreciated by the masses.

Bringing Loy off when 2-0 and chasing a game is mind-boggling. 

I presume the referee was young or inexperienced? He fell for every time-wasting tactic in the book. Fair play to Forfar, they saw it out well. I'm just disappointed we didn't pressure or push them at all and they didn't have to be particularly good to get their win. It was a stroll for them.

I'm far from being a member of the 'AITKEN OUT' crew, for which there seem to be an ever-growing number, but if Aitken persists in playing Hutton and Carswell in such a negatively set-up way, he could well find himself out on his ear before long.

Use a larger font, please. I'm struggling to make that out.

3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I don’t think anyone’s ever disputed that.

I think that was the point the Lichtie fan was making that some didnt seem to think much of JB, and that RL was vastly superior.It might turn out that RL hits the goal trail but JB is a very good finisher, period.

First off, well done to Forfar, well deserved 3 points today. They respresented everything I want to see from my team, hard working, clinical and had a clear game plan in place.

As for us, I don't really know where to start... well I do actually, with Stevie Aitken. Our players don't know what they are doing, we look slow and laboured and the attitude of numerous players stinks. Kyle Hutton continues to be the first name on the teamsheet despite turning in dreadful performances, it really does blow my mind that we shunt Carswell all over the park to accomodate this utter pretender. Perry at right back is an absolute c**t of a decision, particularly when Andy Little has looked competent there. The formation switch, which ultimately led to us losing a goal, was bonkers. The decision to relentlessly lump balls up towards Loy was baffling. The decision to substitute Gallagher at half time, when we needed a goal, was again baffling. The decision to remove Loy and bring on Russell also baffling. Unsurprisingly his bum chum Hutton lasted the 90, as did Carswell.

The players themselves were awful. Dyer looks a serious weak link and Grant Adam's distribution is woeful. It's massively unfortunate we have talent like Loy, Forbes and Paton in the squad but we have a manager who has absolutely zero clue how to get the best out of them. Their performances were made worse today by the fact our own tactics exploited their weaknesses. Madness.

I thought we should've parted ways with Aitken at the end of last season and I've seen nothing so far to change my mind.

Yeah. Loy is good, on paper anyway. Think Baird suits the division more, more physical and a good player. Forfar also a decent team. No easy games this season.
Last comment spot on. Going to be tight this season from top to bottom.

A poor game from a Sons point of view.

Forfar were better organised and were more committed. They went out with a formation and a plan that was suited to the game and to the players available. Every Forfar player put in a shift today. That game was a prime example of why in League One you need to be organised and you need to graft. You can't rely on skill players having time and space to dictate the game. You need to be willing to play at 100mph when you need to and to try to force chances rather than building them. Forfar put in the kind of performance today that our guys simply aren't used to. 

We've got a lot of learning to do. Guys like Ross Forbes strolling around the park looking to pick out Holywood passes. You don't have the time and space to do that in League One unless you're up to tempo. Loy was anonymous for large parts of the game and offered absolutely no presence up front. Paton needs to be driving at opponents and challenging them to foul him.  For all that Kyle Hutton has limited ability (and is an easy target for our fans) the number of times he had the ball and didnt have anybody in front of him moving or looking to receive a pass was criminal. So he either held it too long or passed it sideways/backwards.

Today was the perfect example of why we need to be aggressive, press opponents and get forward with purpose. We can't sit back and play patient football in this league because our opponents won't let us. They were set up to press high and to play aggressively and it absolutely worked for them. A thoroughly deserved 3 points for a team that came with a game plan and executed it with 100% effort and commitment.

A poor game from a Sons point of view.
Forfar were better organised and were more committed. They went out with a formation and a plan that was suited to the game and to the players available. Every Forfar player put in a shift today. That game was a prime example of why in League One you need to be organised and you need to graft. You can't rely on skill players having time and space to dictate the game. You need to be willing to play at 100mph when you need to and to try to force chances rather than building them. Forfar put in the kind of performance today that our guys simply aren't used to. 
We've got a lot of learning to do. Guys like Ross Forbes strolling around the park looking to pick out Holywood passes. You don't have the time and space to do that in League One unless you're up to tempo. Loy was anonymous for large parts of the game and offered absolutely no presence up front. Paton needs to be driving at opponents and challenging them to foul him.  For all that Kyle Hutton has limited ability (and is an easy target for our fans) the number of times he had the ball and didnt have anybody in front of him moving or looking to receive a pass was criminal. So he either held it too long or passed it sideways/backwards.
Today was the perfect example of why we need to be aggressive, press opponents and get forward with purpose. We can't sit back and play patient football in this league because our opponents won't let us. They were set up to press high and to play aggressively and it absolutely worked for them. A thoroughly deserved 3 points for a team that came with a game plan and executed it with 100% effort and commitment.
I'd argue that Loy isn't there to offer a 'presence' upfront. He was poor, no doubt about it, but he was having to deal with lumps up the park. He isn't a target man, he wont win headers or put himself about. He needs proper service.

Agree with one or two of the points made. Mostly agree with BSF above though.

I'm fed up of people singling out the same players - especially when the likes of Hutton and Perry weren't really any worse today than Loy and Forbes. The whole team wasn't good enough and ultimately, we looked like a team who weren't overly up for the fight or who thought all they had to do was turn up and win.

Which leads me to Forfar, they were smart, organised and motivated.  They didnt have to play great football because they simply wanted to win more than we did. The defending at times (especially for the goals) was absolutely shocking, especially from out 2 centre backs.

Last point, the fans shouting for Aitken's head after the penalty miss need to have a look at themselves. Gall missed the penalty, these things happen, but that wasn't anything to do with Aitken. I agree there were some unusual subs and tactical changes but we need to be more motivated in matches and cannot afford to drop the heads so easily.

Aitken’s style of play is awful so I am not surprised. Arbroath should have beaten us in the play-off and they seem to have strengthened during the summer and we have deteriorated. Wrong tactics? Wrong players? Sounds to me like a bit of both. Not been to a game yet this season (mainly due to holidays etc) and I ain’t missing much

Agree with one or two of the points made. Mostly agree with BSF above though.
I'm fed up of people singling out the same players - especially when the likes of Hutton and Perry weren't really any worse today than Loy and Forbes. The whole team wasn't good enough and ultimately, we looked like a team who weren't overly up for the fight or who thought all they had to do was turn up and win.
Which leads me to Forfar, they were smart, organised and motivated.  They didnt have to play great football because they simply wanted to win more than we did. The defending at times (especially for the goals) was absolutely shocking, especially from out 2 centre backs.
Last point, the fans shouting for Aitken's head after the penalty miss need to have a look at themselves. Gall missed the penalty, these things happen, but that wasn't anything to do with Aitken. I agree there were some unusual subs and tactical changes but we need to be more motivated in matches and cannot afford to drop the heads so easily.
The difference being that Loy and Forbes are proven good players, we don't play to their strengths. When is the last time Kyle Hutton had a decent game? Since when was Ross Perry a right back? Since when was Rory Loy a target man?

There's a lot more factors at play than simply x,y and z had a bad game. And lets be honest, Kyle Hutton has been the worst player on the park for months, there is zero denying that.

Loy and Forbes are proven players in a league where you get time and space to play your game. Forbes got time to pick out passes for Morton. Loy got service at Falkirk.

Nobody in this league is going to stand off Ross Forbes to give him time to pick out an inch perfect pass for Rory Loy to slot home.

They need to adapt. Forbes needs to graft. He needs to close people down. He needs to play the ball quicker. Loy needs to show for it. He needs to be willing to offer himself as an out ball, even if he knows that by taking a ball into feet he'll have a defender coming in to tackle from behind. 

This isnt a league where guys can stroll about the park to do what they want.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The difference being that Loy and Forbes are proven good players, we don't play to their strengths. When is the last time Kyle Hutton had a decent game? Since when was Ross Perry a right back? Since when was Rory Loy a target man?

There's a lot more factors at play than simply x,y and z had a bad game. And lets be honest, Kyle Hutton has been the worst player on the park for months, there is zero denying that.

This. Loy opens his podcast by saying that he can't play as a targetman or header a ball. What do we do? Launch hoofs at him. His touch is excellent and he's clever, but we seem intent on turning him into some battering ram. The same goes for Forbes. When we had him a decade ago he wasn't a runner. He was a guy who could spray balls about and find clever wee passes. What do we do? Play him ahead of a guy who is never a right-back, and then expect him to cover for him. Not going to happen.

Hutton played well in the Challenge Cup final, and in the month leading up to his contract expiring. That aside he's been poor most weeks. It's not even his actual performances, it's his body language that really gets me. Carsy is a million times better in that position (even if his crossfield spraying ability isn't quite as strong) and should be playing as a sole defensive midfielder. Playing them together is like going into a game with two goalkeepers. They just bump into each other and neither looks particularly sure what his role is.

If Stevie is intent on playing like Wimbledon then he should've just started with Thommo up top and spent the game launching the ball at him.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

So Loy is out of position and that excuses him a bad performance but Perry is out of position and he's just not good enough? Forbes has quality but we can't afford to have a passenger in the team and hope that he produces something. He needs to offer a bit more.

I'd say out centre backs have been worse in the last 2 or 3 games than Hutton. I would also debate that Hutton has been the worst player on the park. He isn't anywhere near being our best player and at times he frustrates the life out of me, but he gets more abuse than he deserves. A bit like Ross Perry I feel like more judgement is placed on them based on the opinions of fans of their previous clubs than what they do in a sons jersey.

Archived