2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It's up to the manager to spend his budget wisely.

I'm all for quantity over quality but if scarificing a Bobby Barr for two lesser players or loans is required then that's what he has to do. It's all about balance.

If its about balance then I'd be looking at whether we need the midfield trio of Carswell, Hutton and Forbes? I'd like to see Thomson get a few games to show us whether he can be a more dynamic midfielder. Forbes hasn't impressed in the games I've seen so far (Hearts friendly, Queens Park cup game and yesterday). Is he a luxury we can't afford when we clearly don't have cover for the fullbacks?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If its about balance then I'd be looking at whether we need the midfield trio of Carswell, Hutton and Forbes? I'd like to see Thomson get a few games to show us whether he can be a more dynamic midfielder. Forbes hasn't impressed in the games I've seen so far (Hearts friendly, Queens Park cup game and yesterday). Is he a luxury we can't afford when we clearly don't have cover for the fullbacks?
I'd agree. I said at the time I only wanted 1 of Carswell or Hutton and he signed both. IMO both of them will be commanding a fairly sizeable wage and if I was Aitken I'd have been retaining one of them and using the money to bring in backup elsewhere.

As for Forbes, time will tell. I do think he will be a valuable player for us and you could argue that without him we wouldn't have won at East Fife last week. Both goals were assisted by him and the other best chances we had were created by him (Barr's header and Paton's shot off the post).

Hilson and Baird looking fairly handy so far. Nice to actually have a goal threat.
Looked really good in the highlights their same with number 11 that the lad you have on loan?

3 minutes ago, loon00 said:

Also thought Hutton may have been a bit lucky to stay on the park after his challenge on Murray, looked very dangerous from where I was

As soon as I saw it I thought he'd be off to be honest. It might not have been as bad as it looked at the time, but he absolutely launched himself into the guy.

3 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Highlights are up. Looking forward to Stevie's post-match:

I don’t hear him taking any responsibility for the way we played. Worrying.

Arbroath will be smelling blood in the water next week.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Baird ends up on 20+ goals this season. He'll be the main output and he's an absolute poacher. Just watching the highlights brought back many great memories of his time at Rovers. 

I think Baird is probably the best striker in the league and could still do a job at a higher level. In league one he is going to score a lot of goals

Watching the highlights brings back memories when we have grass patch to be proud of.

Great first goal. Second was a bit of trundler, keeper seems slow to get across.

Great result, let's push on.

All the best Son's, your manager looked a broken man in the interview, didn't come across well. Blaming a team for now motivation is rock bottom. It his job FFS.

5 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Watching the highlights brings back memories when we have grass patch to be proud of.

Great first goal. Second was a bit of trundler, keeper seems slow to get across.

Great result, let's push on.

All the best Son's, your manager looked a broken man in the interview, didn't come across well. Blaming a team for now motivation is rock bottom. It his job FFS.

Just seen the highlights there. Poor penalty from Gal but these things happen, hopefully his injury isn't bad.

Aitken clearly not happy in the interview, but takes no responsibility for the tactics being off???

He's right that we do have good players though, but theres too many who had turned up and think they're better than this. Hutton cutting about like he's a worldie when he isn't and constantly moaning at teammates to pass to him when he isn't even moving. Forbes still doesn't look fit and will need to get fit. fast. Perry aint a right back either, but who's fault is it for playing him there? Whats the latest on Balantynes injury??

Hopefully tomorrow we can get a settled formation and work with it. Personnel wise we know he won't split Carsy and Hutton up, but Aitken needs to decide how he wants to play and get on with it. Try and win games, we do have the players to do it. We needed a good start this season to allay ill-feeling for Aitken but thats not happened. `even at this stage, the next couple of league games could be vital, for Aitken and us as a club this season

24 minutes ago, Bogheidman said:

Just seen the highlights there. Poor penalty from Gal but these things happen, hopefully his injury isn't bad.

Aitken clearly not happy in the interview, but takes no responsibility for the tactics being off???

He's right that we do have good players though, but theres too many who had turned up and think they're better than this. Hutton cutting about like he's a worldie when he isn't and constantly moaning at teammates to pass to him when he isn't even moving. Forbes still doesn't look fit and will need to get fit. fast. Perry aint a right back either, but who's fault is it for playing him there? Whats the latest on Balantynes injury??

Hopefully tomorrow we can get a settled formation and work with it. Personnel wise we know he won't split Carsy and Hutton up, but Aitken needs to decide how he wants to play and get on with it. Try and win games, we do have the players to do it. We needed a good start this season to allay ill-feeling for Aitken but thats not happened. `even at this stage, the next couple of league games could be vital, for Aitken and us as a club this season

I honestly feel like Forbes has always looked slow and unfit, so I am not sure how much fitter he is realistically going to get.  Bit of movement around him for him to work with and he will be absolutely sound IMO.

Folk say Forbes was shite on Saturday but look at those highlights and tell me how many of our "highlights" didn't involve him? Everything is going through him, quite rightly, but when he gets the ball what options does he have in front of him (or indeed behind/overlapping him)? None. That means a big whipped ball into the box from deep which defenders deal with. FWIW, Loy should score from Forbes' cross early on, that goes in and Saturday is maybe a different story.

31 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Folk say Forbes was shite on Saturday but look at those highlights and tell me how many of our "highlights" didn't involve him? Everything is going through him, quite rightly, but when he gets the ball what options does he have in front of him (or indeed behind/overlapping him)? None. That means a big whipped ball into the box from deep which defenders deal with. FWIW, Loy should score from Forbes' cross early on, that goes in and Saturday is maybe a different story.

Agreed.  

I also thought a lot of his deliveries were into the right areas too, but if they found nobody folk are quick to moan about it.  Of course he over hit a few but still.

Archived