Who will break Steven Gerrard and how?

When will Scottish football break Steven Gerrard and how will it happen?  

218 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, Gerrard arrived. He seemed worryingly sane, with a steely grit.

But that was pre-Sheep. We can now hope he'll Pedro. It's realistic.

The big questions now. When will he Fully Pedro? How will it happen?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem isn't Gerrard, it's Rangers. It's entrenched from top to bottom with the attitude that they deserve better than everyone else and that anything that goes against them isn't their fault but somehow an organised assault on the club, it's traditions and it's fanbase. Gerrard who has sounded fairly reasonable to start with, has had wee minions filling his head with the sort of Ibrox paranoia that is all to prevalent. No wonder he's swallowed all that and come out sounding like an utter cock.

btw, my vote? I reckon he is more than capable of a Keegan style melt down. He just seems the type.

He'll do OK short-term I think. His contact book is quite good and I think some of the players in will make a big difference (I was actually quite impressed with McGregor's ability in the air on Saturday, it killed a lot of attacks and even though Foderingham isn't the worst 'keeper in the world, I think there will be a big difference with their defence improving). McAlister will probably be sensible enough as a number 2.

What will eventually catch him out is the part where he's an absolute simpleton. He'll lose his head a few times early on in an embarrassing style but be defended for his passion and the Rangers support will buy into it. I think 12-18 months down the line, they'll finally begin to see through him and then use a meltdown as justification that he's 'lost it' when he never really had it in the first place.

The Glesgae "goldfish bowl" will tip him over the edge. Constant banter* will make him cry and up sticks before end of season.

*banter that in every other location in Scotland would be described as offensive

ETA hasn't he got form for punch ups in pubs or nightclubs?

Glesgae goldfish bowl is the property of SMSM Cliches Ltd

Pedro Caixinha got the bullet after a 1-1 draw with Kilmarnock on October 25 2017.

We play Gerrard's incarnation of The Rangers at Ibrox on October 31 :whistle

(I don't think he'll be gone by November, but a wee Kris Boyd winner after being given an absolute Clarkeing for 90 minutes could set him on an irreversible, seething, downward slope)

The Glesgae "goldfish bowl" will tip him over the edge. Constant banter* will make him cry and up sticks before end of season.

He won’t be living in Glasgow and won’t be going anywhere near the city centre on nights out so don’t see that being a problem.

I think he’ll improve them this season, they’ll get a home win over Celtic and it will be enough for their supporters even when they inevitably finish way behind them at the end of the season. Think next season it will go tits up for him and he’ll return to Liverpool as assistant manager.

Gerrard had an excellent opportunity to be realistic and bring his club back down to Earth. Bring back a shred of decency to Rangers. Instead we’re into the first game of the season and he’s saying his side are better than runners up Aberdeen after a draw and making claims of conspiracy. A few more results that go against them and a pumping from Celtic will finally finish him. I can’t wait.

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Gerrard had an excellent opportunity to be realistic and bring his club back down to Earth. Bring back a shred of decency to Rangers. Instead we’re into the first game of the season and he’s saying his side are better than runners up Aberdeen after a draw and making claims of conspiracy.

This, this all day long. He's chosen not to, but I think that might be to do with the paranoia that oozes out of Ibrox and infests all those who come in contact with the club.

Guest JTS98

I'd be worried if I were a Rangers fan.

Firstly, because I'd for some reason be supporting the most vile sporting institution the UK has ever seen. I'd wonder what my parents had done wrong to get me into adulthood somehow thinking Rangers were the kind of club I want to be part of.

But, secondly, because their new manager displayed all the hallmarks of someone who is going to last five minutes.

Yesterday was a day for statesmanship. Take the draw, spout some inane pish about decisions coming and going, praise the team for getting a good result against the team who have clearly shown themselves to be the second best in the division, say something nice about McInnes, move on. He'd have come out with a lot of credit.

Instead, he's immediately swung to pandering to the lowest common denominator in the support and, frankly, chucked the toys out the pram. If that's how he reacts to what is a decent result, it doesn't look good for when real setbacks come along.

28 minutes ago, throbber said:

He won’t be living in Glasgow and won’t be going anywhere near the city centre on nights out so don’t see that being a problem.

I think he’ll improve them this season, they’ll get a home win over Celtic and it will be enough for their supporters even when they inevitably finish way behind them at the end of the season. Think next season it will go tits up for him and he’ll return to Liverpool as assistant manager.

He's staying up the leafy West End. Not far from Neil Lennon...

He's circling the wagons already. Seems a couple of decisions going against the Rangers has transpired into the whole World hates us.

Not sure if this is a sign of triggering and more to do with towing the Level 5 media line?

Archived