Football Manager 2019

ajwffc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Still on this version at the moment and started a save unemployed then holiday it into November where I was offered the Ross county job (5th) but riddled with injuries or Partick (10th) with 11 points but 9 behind Morton  so plumped for Partick.

My favourite bit of business was getting rid of Cammy Bell on loan to Palace in the summer after finishing 8th and replacing him with Liam Kelly on £450pw.

5538C824-D1E4-4E09-8029-8BB19C4F6737.jpeg

• 1 month later...

2 weeks off work for self isolation at an end so time to reflect on my success with Cork City.

Domestically, I've breezed it. Cork start as reigning champions on FM19 so have a strong squad already, I really just wanted to go a club who was already suited to success, and could focus on pushing on in Europe. Won 5 titles on the bounce, as well as numerous cups. There's about 5 domestic cups a season to play for. Think I've won something like 18, although they're all very low rep so not exactly the most beneficial for the reputation.

Europe has been great though. First season, I managed to get to the Europa groups and even to the last 32 before getting pumped off Eintracht Frankfurt. Since then I've got to a further 2 Europa last 32's and a last 16, playing the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham and Lazio on the way. A 2-1 win away at Sporting Lisbon was easily my best result in the Europa. I also had one season in the CL group stages. A fine experience which has transformed the club forever. Got humped in my first 5 games, but financially, massive for us. Match 6, while a fairly pointless exercise, turned into my finest hour. A 1-0 win over Real Madrid at Turner's Cross, thanks to a Karl Shephard penatly in the 76th minute.

The coefficient is at an all time high, with the Irish league now holding 2 CL berths. I've also built up a great academy, churning out some fantastic youngsters. A couple of which have moved to England for 6 figure sums within 2 seasons, and are Irish internationals. The rest of my squad is built up of players plucked from Scotland. Aaron Doran was a huge success, although now left and winding down. Currently, my 3 star players are Robbie Crawford, Bobby Burns and Bruce Anderson.

I've achieved all there really is to do in Ireland, but having so much fun that I've knocked back loads of jobs, both north and south of Hadrian's Wall. I really want to stick around for a crack at the Ireland job, and truly turn them into a football powerhouse, but Mick McCarthy just won't ****ing leave.

• 2 months later...

A perk of lockdown; I've rattled through my save on FM 2019 the past few weeks.

I ended up winning the Champions League with Thistle in roughly the 2029/30 season, and then had a wee realisation; I'd literally never won a major European trophy with Thistle on any version of FM ever until this save! No save-and-reload dickery either, more or less steamrollered everyone on the way to the final (beat RB Leipzig 2-0 after a hairy first half) but there's a neat thing where if a player is highly influential and they piss and moan about wanting to go to PSG or whoever every time I go "you're really important/influential to the team and can't leave" they just go "oh really lol cool I'll stay then" which I never even thought would work until I tried it out. Doing that meant I could keep and assemble a side stacked with elite/world class players.

It's usually been the case with every other save I've ever had with the jags that I ended up getting to a point where I've a good enough side to be regularly winning domestic titles and trophies but I could never quite get a top tier squad assembled; we could make the odd European semi final here and there but that was as good as it got. I think there was a save on FM 2016 where I got to a Europa League final but lost it which was as good as it got until this save.

That's since about FM 2007 I've been playing, christ. Genuinely don't know if I can be arsed getting another FM to go through it all again...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

• 3 weeks later...

First time play FM20 so I started a save with Falkirk ( as you do) 

Started on the original game without the January update to see what it would be like with Mr McKinnons team and f**k me every single midfield is a deep lying player maker. Tidser, Gomis, Telfer and McShane. 

Apart from a new defender not much will change bar some depth for the squad like a cheap left back to cover Dixon.

Won the Betfred group that contained Motherwell, Partick, Stranraer and Queens park and got Celtic away which will be a laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now on season 2066/67 and don't think I'll move onto another FM ever due to my addiction with this save. 

I won shit loads with Man Utd then Thistle and Valencia but the highlight was managing Scotland between 36-46 which ultimately led to a 5-0 win over England at Wembley in the 2042 World Cup Final, a 1-0 win over England at Hampden in the 2044 European Championships Final, then another 1-0 win against them in the 2045 Moroccan Confederations Cup. I also beat them 2-0 in a Nations League Final at a 50,000 capacity 'Hibernian Stadium'. Every one of those wins involved a goal scored in the 13th minute.

I was helped by managing Thistle at the same time and buying up and playing to death all the best Scottish talent, as well as England being managed by Abu Ogogo whose preference for 4-3-3 and geriatrics left them ripe for a pounding.

My manager got to 75 so I thought it right to retire him and add a new one. I started at Scotland u21s and won the European Championships at the second attempt in 2061, largely thanks to St Mirren churning out wonderkids like one of those 20p skittle machines. Now at Thistle again who were turning to shite despite spending about £150m+ each season. I wanted to go a different route but the appeal of their newly built 92,500 seat stadium was too big a draw. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Switched back to FM19 to keep me occupied until 21 is out. Loaded up the top 2 leagues in England, Scotland, France, Italy, Germany and Spain and clicked the random team button until one stood out. Was looking for a top tier team, but someone who would be quite a challenge. Got Angers in France.

Very good first season. Expected to finish 13th but sat in the top half of the table all season, and snuck 6th on the final day which was a Europa spot. Cups didn't go to plan, my bogey team Nimes beat me in the Coupe de la Ligue early on, and I got to the last 16 of the French cup but drew PSG away and needless to say, went out. 

Just about to start season 2 now. First Europa qualifier was against some Armenian mob who I've just pumped 9-1 at home in the first leg. Group stages is of course the expectation. Done some solid business, but ultimately all young players with good sell on value. Would love to try stay top 6, and eventually push for CL. With the countries I've loaded, I was looking at a sort of journeyman career, but if I'm doing good things at Angers, I'm in no rush to leave.

Just beat Celtic 1-0 at Parkhead to progress to the last 32 with Angers in our first European campaign. :D 

Beat Maritimo and Sparta Prague to get to the groups, so quite lucky to avoid some of the bigger names. Given a tough group though, of Villarreal, Celtic and Malmo. Failed to win my first 3 in the group, losing 3-0 at Malmo, 5-2 at Villarreal and drawing 0-0 at home to Celtic. Beat VIllarreal 1-0 at home to give me real fighting hope but thought I'd ****ed it by drawing 1-1 at home to Malmo in MD5. Final game showdown saw me, Celtic and Malmo all level on points so a win was an absolute must, and needed Villarreal to beat Malmo too. Results lined up perfectly, and my young Italian 3rd choice striker who I signed from Genoa in the summer, scored his first goal for the club with minutes to spare!