Football Manager 2019

ajwffc

On 16/01/2019 at 12:22, The Moonster said:

I think the loan rules change after Brexit? This happened to me, I was certain the previous season that I had 6 loans in my team (3 domestic, 3 international) so I sold my back up right back thinking I could get a loan to tide me over till the end of the season only to realise I was only allowed 5 loans.  I figured that Brexit had something to do with it but I may be wrong.

EDIT - Should probably add an update on my career while I'm here - Back to back titles with Falkirk (League 1 and Champ) and now sat 4th in the Premiership, battling it out with Rangers and Hearts for the European spots.  I had a good January, got rid of a lot of dead wood (although Andrew Shinnie will just not f**k off, no matter how hard I try) and added Louis Moult to my attacking options, so I'm hopeful for the run in.  I've been offered the Hull, Brentford and Reading jobs but none of them really tickled my fancy.  Plan on finishing this season with Falkirk and seeing if I get them into Europe and then seeing what jobs come my way/are available. 

No, was definitely in the first season before Brexit

2 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

After 3/4 seasons the scheduling is absolutely appalling. Just played on Sunday - Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday.

Is that due to the World Cup?

5c4a4647aee23_LadbrokesLeague1_OverviewStages-2.thumb.png.895455acda3b38745c91399164d42175.png

Back where we belong..

Had signed a lot of players. Best were Sean Mackie from Hibs, and Sam Wardrop from United. Both transfer listed in January for £1k and £2k. 

I've managed to sell a few younger players for a combined £29k so it's all good.

Need an overhaul for the Championship though, not convinced the likes of Mark Hurst in goals, or Forbes/Easton will cope with the new division.

So far I've brought in Michael Rose of Dunfermline, formerly of Ayr, on a free, and a regen DM from Celtic, and a regen CM from St Johnstone, both have incredible physicals/work rate, and we'll probably end up needing that. In attack we've signed Jake Hastie from Motherwell for £2k plus a huge sell on fee, and Calum Hendry from St Johnstone for nothing.

Line up, with players who maybe need replaced in italics..

Hurst

Wardrop - Rose - Barr - Mackie

Docherty

Dylan Dykes - Forbes/Easton

Dallas                                         Hastie

Hendry/Gallacher/Layne

Edited by RandomGuy.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

5c4a4647aee23_LadbrokesLeague1_OverviewStages-2.thumb.png.895455acda3b38745c91399164d42175.png

Back where we belong..

Had signed a lot of players. Best were Sean Mackie from Hibs, and Sam Wardrop from United. Both transfer listed in January for £1k and £2k. 

I've managed to sell a few younger players for a combined £29k so it's all good.

Need an overhaul for the Championship though, not convinced the likes of Mark Hurst in goals, or Forbes/Easton will cope with the new division.

So far I've brought in Michael Rose of Dunfermline, formerly of Ayr, on a free, and a regen DM from Celtic, and a regen CM from St Johnstone, both have incredible physicals/work rate, and we'll probably end up needing that. In attack we've signed Jake Hastie from Motherwell for £2k plus a huge sell on fee, and Calum Hendry from St Johnstone for nothing.

Line up, with players who maybe need replaced in italics..

Hurst

Wardrop - Rose - Barr - Mackie

Docherty

Dylan Dykes - Forbes/Easton

Dallas                                         Hastie

Hendry/Gallacher/Layne

Good man.  I'm going to go back and start another Dumbarton game, it was the first I'd played the game in years and I made a bit of a mess of it but I found it really hard to change Dumbarton's squad in the first season because they already had 3 loans in the squad (and for some reason I couldn't cancel them) and shifting players out seemed nigh on impossible for any sort of cash.

One thing I've been meaning to ask about the youth intake - is there any way to improve the quality of these boys or is it totally random?  I've been at Falkirk for 4 seasons now and I haven't produced a single player of any decent quality, all been League 2 quality or less.  My youth development coaches and all that stuff are good but I can't seem to produce any youngsters.

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Good man.  I'm going to go back and start another Dumbarton game, it was the first I'd played the game in years and I made a bit of a mess of it but I found it really hard to change Dumbarton's squad in the first season because they already had 3 loans in the squad (and for some reason I couldn't cancel them) and shifting players out seemed nigh on impossible for any sort of cash.

One thing I've been meaning to ask about the youth intake - is there any way to improve the quality of these boys or is it totally random?  I've been at Falkirk for 4 seasons now and I haven't produced a single player of any decent quality, all been League 2 quality or less.  My youth development coaches and all that stuff are good but I can't seem to produce any youngsters.

First season was a slog, tbh, summer was tremendous though. Managed to, finally, get Loys mammoth wage away this Summer too.

Youth Intakes seem a bit random to me too, just seems to be pot luck if you get a decent one.

12 games and I'm 8th, 8 points ahead of bottom placed Morton though. A proper battle to just get a point in this league, and we struggle with three games in a week so regularly.

Since my last update I've managed to sign Wighton on loan from Hearts, Mark Ridgers from ICT, Conor O'Keefe from St Mirren, Andrew McDonald on loan from St Johnstone (starts at Stranraer) and brought Robert Thomson back, but from Hamilton where he'd to from Morton.

Line up now is..

Ridgers

Wardrop - Rose - Tom O'Brien - Mackie

Docherty

Dykes - Strachan 

O'Keefe                                                 Wighton

Thomson

O'Brien was signed from ICT last season and was first choice beside Barr, whos moved on to QOS. Strachan is a regen on loan from St Johnstone.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5c4d81c997233_LadbrokesChampionship_OverviewStages.thumb.png.29b15003a3fa06a8285e75bc70b5bbbd.png

Feel like I'm taking over this thread :unsure: Loving this team, absolute scenes if we can somehow get ourselves into the Play-Offs. I'm not worried about relegation at all, Morton are too far back and even if we collapse and County catch us, we should have enough to beat any League One side.

Finances aren't great, only £16k in the bank, but by the stage over the past few seasons we'd be in the red already. If I could stumble up through the play-offs (Raith are currently the top flight team in 11th, Dundee United 12th), then that would be huge, even if we get humped every week. I should be able to survive that with my job in tact too.

Definitely getting too carried away with promotion chat though :lol:

Had a frankly outrageous January window. Waiting a few weeks then sneaking a wee cash offer plus percentage of next fee for unhappy players running out of contract is paying dividends.

Had restricted myself to a max of £400pw but the board hitched up the budget, and max wage allowed, my highest earner is now on £600pw.

Starting from the back, my signings were Jack Hamilton (Gk, Dundee), Cammy Ballantyne (Rb, Raith), Scott Allardice (Cb, Cm, Morton), Steven Boyd (Cm, Hamilton), Botti Biabi (Rw, ICT), Kundai Benyu (Lw, Celtic) and finally Bruce Anderson (St, Aberdeen).

All permanent deals. There'll be a huge swathe of players leaving in the Summer. We'd gone a bad run but have picked up again, 25 games in and have 31pts. Up to 6th on GD, 7pts off the play off, 6pts off 9th and 15 off 12th.

I'm nearly half way through my 4th season as Falkirk gaffer, qualified for the Europa League by beating Celtic 2-0 in the Scottish Cup final and I sit top of the group after 3 games (2 wins against Partizan Belgrade and Young Boys at home and a draw away at Olympiakos).  I'm absolutely loving the challenge of competing in Europe and the league with the tight squad I've got, it's tough going but I find myself feeling quite proud when your rotation works out beautifully.  Unfortunately I got the rotation wrong in the last week and exited the League Cup semi final in a 1-0 loss to Aberdeen.  Think this will be my final season with Falkirk, not sure how much further I can take them without major investment. In 4 seasons I've delivered (Championship relegation - don't feel this can be attributed to me though as I took over with 9 or 10 games to go and they were as good as dead) League 1 Champions, 1 Irn Bru Cup, Championship Champions, 1 Scottish Cup and I'm now looking likely to take them into the knockout rounds of the Europa. If that doesn't bag me a good fucking job, I quit.

I signed a boy Adam Lewis from Liverpool, left back/wing back and he's absolutely bossing the Premiership. Up and down the wing all day, great crosser and can take a decent free kick, easily the best signing I've made in the game.

Untitled.thumb.png.84aede62c0e22521670449206fa43201.png

St Mirren and Hamilton were promoted.

Morton joined Ross County and got relegated.

Dundee United and Livingston came down from the top tier, and Falkirk and Forfar came up from the seaside leagues.

Forfar should give me a safety net from 10th, battle will be to finish outside the play off spot now.

Just entered August but I've already culled 4 players on transfers, and we released another 7.

Only signed 3 players. Ross Matthews from Raith, Paul McKay from Falkirk, and Zak Rudden on loan from Rangers. About to get Aaron Doran on a free after he was released too.

Don't think I'll add anyone else.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Absolutely flying in my East Fife save. Consecutive promotions and in the Prem using a 5-3-2 flat gegenpress. However, I have an issue. I need better staff, but the pool of staff in my search section is tiny, it doesnt show most of the staff in the country, employed or unemployed. There used to be a "realistic signings" tab but I cant see it, and the only employed staff I can see when I search are signed for teams like Kelty Hearts and stuff...any help?

ETA - Middle tier scouting range is what I have. I'm thinking I maybe need to goto the board and ask for an increase in wages for the staff members? Also I got a shite Brexit where players have to earn over £8k to get a WP so maybe its that and it applies to staff too?

Edited by Big Fifer

42 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Absolutely flying in my East Fife save. Consecutive promotions and in the Prem using a 5-3-2 flat gegenpress. However, I have an issue. I need better staff, but the pool of staff in my search section is tiny, it doesnt show most of the staff in the country, employed or unemployed. There used to be a "realistic signings" tab but I cant see it, and the only employed staff I can see when I search are signed for teams like Kelty Hearts and stuff...any help?

ETA - Middle tier scouting range is what I have. I'm thinking I maybe need to goto the board and ask for an increase in wages for the staff members? Also I got a shite Brexit where players have to earn over £8k to get a WP so maybe its that and it applies to staff too?

Gegenpress *shudder*

You've not got any filters on an not noticed them do you? I done that once, and somehow collapsed the part of screen that shows you the filter. Spent a whole season seething I didn't have any players showing up to buy and assumed I was under some embargo.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gegenpress *shudder*

You've not got any filters on an not noticed them do you? I done that once, and somehow collapsed the part of screen that shows you the filter. Spent a whole season seething I didn't have any players showing up to buy and assumed I was under some embargo.

Nah no filters, its all a bit weird. No staff showing anywhere above League  1 level. 

12 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

That's the same Brexit for everyone I'm sure and I don't think that has an effect on who you can search. 

19 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'm nearly half way through my 4th season as Falkirk gaffer, qualified for the Europa League by beating Celtic 2-0 in the Scottish Cup final and I sit top of the group after 3 games (2 wins against Partizan Belgrade and Young Boys at home and a draw away at Olympiakos).  I'm absolutely loving the challenge of competing in Europe and the league with the tight squad I've got, it's tough going but I find myself feeling quite proud when your rotation works out beautifully.  Unfortunately I got the rotation wrong in the last week and exited the League Cup semi final in a 1-0 loss to Aberdeen.  Think this will be my final season with Falkirk, not sure how much further I can take them without major investment. In 4 seasons I've delivered (Championship relegation - don't feel this can be attributed to me though as I took over with 9 or 10 games to go and they were as good as dead) League 1 Champions, 1 Irn Bru Cup, Championship Champions, 1 Scottish Cup and I'm now looking likely to take them into the knockout rounds of the Europa. If that doesn't bag me a good fucking job, I quit.

I signed a boy Adam Lewis from Liverpool, left back/wing back and he's absolutely bossing the Premiership. Up and down the wing all day, great crosser and can take a decent free kick, easily the best signing I've made in the game.

And last night my Falkirk career came to an end.  I forgot how tough these decisions were :lol: genuinely felt like I was leaving my wife.  I qualified for the knockout stages of the Europa (by a bawhair) and immediately was offered the Sheff United and Watford jobs. Sheff United squad needed a lot of work, so opted for Watford who have a right good squad that's under-performing and they are filthy rich. £25M to spend in January, £5M of which has already been spent on a cut price Mikey Johnston.  I honestly have about 6 Attacking Mid Adavanced Playmakers (including Fred of Liverpool) so I could end up with around £50M to spend once I hopefully sell the ones I don't need. I'm out tonight and I'm absolutely gutted I can't get baw deep in this. Tomorrow though...

Into the Quarter Finals of the Betfred Cup with Dumbarton.

Beat St Johnstone 1-0 at home in the last round, they finished 3rd last season and have McInnes as manager, as far as I can tell they played their strongest 11. 

Best result I've had in this save so far. Dundee up next, who roll about the bottom half of the top flight, I played them in one of my first two seasons and had a 2-1 lead, before Forbes missed a penalty and fatigue led us to a 3-2 loss. So harbouring dreams of a Semi Final.

Third season finished with rovers. Back to back promotions followed up with a third place finish. Using 7 of my original team as a starting 11, most games. Just had a takeover and 37 million pumped into the club. Not sure if I'm happy or annoyed with that. Love my current team but have no choice but to use at least some of the money for more immediate success next season.
Currently untouchable in the job so still tempted to just keep going with bringing through the youths though.