Football Manager 2019

ajwffc

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Nah. You will need to get rid of yer chief scout. Yer only allowed one chief scout.

Yeah, but you should be able to offer people the job regardless. Sometimes your board blocks it, sometimes they give you an option to terminate the current ones contract.

After having been sacked by Portsmouth I have decided to start a new save with Billericay Town to see how far I can take them.  First obnservation is holy unbalanced squad Batman!  Of the 20 players more than half are wingers and strikers and not a single RB.  I have 2 goalies (1 is injured), 4 defenders (3 CB's and a LB), 2 central midfielders, 8 wingers and 4 strikers.  I think that recruitment will be critical lol, at least I have a massive budget for this level

I think it's a good one to get back into it. The new scouting system takes a bit of getting used to but now, with the tactics, you can choose a style "direct counter attack" or "gegenpress" or "tiki taka" and it automatically assigns the old "sliders" to fit it rather than having to go through it all one by one. You can still amend the basic tactical style if you want but the tactics are a lot more user friendly and easier to pick up.

14 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Haven't bought a FM game in a good number of years now, but feeling the itch and think I'm gonna get it when I get paid tomorrow. Is this version worth it for someone who hasn't played in years?

Definitely give the free demo a go before trying it, I'd say. 

Easiest way to make your mind up before spending any money.

17 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Haven't bought a FM game in a good number of years now, but feeling the itch and think I'm gonna get it when I get paid tomorrow. Is this version worth it for someone who hasn't played in years?

I hadn't played this in about 10 years and I'm baw deep in this one now. It's an excellent game IMO, would agree with Asim in that the tactics are user friendly and on the scouting point, I have no clue what I'm doing there and very much winging it but thoroughly enjoying the game despite my mixed bag of results.

I've kinda gave up on the details of the scouting. I leave my DoF to handle scouting meetings, ask my scouting team to scout players I'm having a look at, but just use the search players function and list everyone by scouting recommendations when I'm making a signing.
You can give the scouts assignments which is quite handy. For example, in January I really needed to replace my right back after deciding he was too shite for the league I was in. I assigned two of my scouts to find first team standard right backs who were under 25 and picked up a gem of a youngster from Newcastle on the cheap.

Other than that I tend to just search for players and ask my scouts to scout them and also scout the players than pop up in the scouting meetings. I've found a few belters through the meetings so I'd say its worth taking charge of them. Agents will also ask you to have a look a lot of their players etc.

49 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

You can give the scouts assignments which is quite handy. For example, in January I really needed to replace my right back after deciding he was too shite for the league I was in. I assigned two of my scouts to find first team standard right backs who were under 25 and picked up a gem of a youngster from Newcastle on the cheap.

Other than that I tend to just search for players and ask my scouts to scout them and also scout the players than pop up in the scouting meetings. I've found a few belters through the meetings so I'd say its worth taking charge of them. Agents will also ask you to have a look a lot of their players etc.

Exactly what I do.

Has anyone even bothered with the training in 19?

Really not put a great deal of time into this but after 2 seasons with York City and 2 title wins on the bounce I have joined Brentford, who just finished 13th in the Championship. I was also offered the Peterborough and Wigan jobs (both League 1) but Brentford obviously stood out as the more attractive prospect.

A measley £5m transfer budget and very little wiggle room in the wage budget has me slightly concerned. I reckon I'll probably avoid paying any fees and look to sign free agents. We also had the lowest average attendance in the league last season.

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

Exactly what I do.

Has anyone even bothered with the training in 19?

I tried it early on, but the benefits are hard to see so it felt like a waste of time to me. Have left it to the assistant since.

Will get involved with Match Prep every so often if we're leaking goals from set pieces or struggling to score, but that's it.