Football Manager 2019

ajwffc

On 28/03/2019 at 21:59, AMMjag said:

In the 4th season of a Man Utd save and playing Real Madrid in the Super Cup. The fixture is arranged on an international weekend which means I'm having to patch together a team of under 18s and half fit first team players who didn't get called up.

Genuinely great fun. 

Edit: 3-0 win, two early goals from Jadon Sancho who aggravated a hamstring injury and is now out for four weeks. A third from a 16 year old mezzala described as 'the next Nobby Stiles'. 

I'm now playing Madrid again in the 2023 Champions Cup final for my third successive title. 

The same issue has cropped up again with almost my full starting 11 callep up to play in fucking European qualifiers. Madrid are near full of South Americans and aren't as affected so I should get creamed. 

Mercifully, Kylian Mbappé has just recovered from injury and wasn't called up. He's on 54% match fitness but might give me a fighting chance - otherwise I'm chucking this out the window. 

Managed to lead Fulham to Premiership survival and have started season 19/20 by beating Leicester and Arsenal, drawing with Watford and losing to Chelsea. 

My team has a Scottish spine with McGinn, Cairney, Souttar, McKenna, Forrest and Shankland all in the squad.

Thank you very much 4321 geggenpress.

Edited by TheIntenseHummingOfEvil

On 20/04/2019 at 13:01, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Managed to lead Fulham to Premiership survival and have started season 19/20 by beating Leicester and Arsenal, drawing with Watford and losing to Chelsea. 

My team has a Scottish spine with McGinn, Cairney, Souttar, McKenna, Forrest and Shankland all in the squad.

Thank you very much 4321 geggenpress.

Hit a shocking run of form during my second season which included sonething ridiculous like 16 games without a win so I resigned from Fulham.

Newcastle were struggling near the foot of the table along with Fulham and had sacked Claude Puel so I applied and got the job.

My first game in charge was against....Fulham!

We won 4-0 to move towards safety and increase my former club's woes.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my Scotland save has hit the ropes. Division A of nations cup with Spain and England. Lose 2-1 at Hampden to two last minute goals against Spain before being royally humped 7-0 by England at wembley. Hate this game sometimes. I will get my revenge at Hampden

Losing a bit of interest in this. I've been doing well with Watford, won the FA Cup, got to the EURO cup final (lost to Chelsea) and I've finished between 5th-7th every season. Yet, I still get overlooked for jobs on the next level.  I reckon I've applied for around 8 or 9 jobs and I've not had a sniff at any of them.  At the same time, my mate was Rangers manager and pished the league every year walked straight into the Tottenham job.  Do I honestly need to go and win the league with fucking Watford before I get considered?

I've just applied for Borussia Dortmund who have been out of Europe for 2 seasons now, I may well lose the will to continue the game if I don't get it.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I started a save with Leicester. 4-2-3-1 gehenpress. Won the league first season by 12 points. Went into editor, reduced the ability of ever player in the squad by 5. Restarted and won the league again, this time by a point. As I found with Roma, gegenpress seems to be like a cheat code.

If you've got players with high stamina and energy then gegenpress will work. I tried it with my Watford team and it was hopeless, didn't have enough pace or stamina in midfield and lost an insane number of late goals.

I was sacked as Watford boss, sitting 12th in the league. Disappointed as I feel the squad I had was the best I'd built, but injuries took their toll. I feel hard done by there after the European trips I've taken them on, but it's probably quit realistic as to how cut-throat the EPL is. Only appealing job available was Hibs, so I've taken that job and it's a nice change to be looking for young gems and players with stats in the right places rather than spending millions on transfer fees and hundreds of thousands on wages.

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:36, The Moonster said:

Losing a bit of interest in this. I've been doing well with Watford, won the FA Cup, got to the EURO cup final (lost to Chelsea) and I've finished between 5th-7th every season. Yet, I still get overlooked for jobs on the next level.  I reckon I've applied for around 8 or 9 jobs and I've not had a sniff at any of them.  At the same time, my mate was Rangers manager and pished the league every year walked straight into the Tottenham job.  Do I honestly need to go and win the league with fucking Watford before I get considered?

I've just applied for Borussia Dortmund who have been out of Europe for 2 seasons now, I may well lose the will to continue the game if I don't get it.

One of my biggest bugbears about the game. Doesn't matter what league you're in, if you don't win the league your achievements are somewhat pointless. I've done it with Celtic before, won the league 3 years in a row and was offered the City job.

Currently playing a file in England. Started off with West Ham (which is not an easy start - no money and half a team of injuries) got them to a respectable 15th at Christmas and started to get players back fit,  got beat game after Christmas by Man City, sacked, got Norwich job mid-March time, missed playoffs by 2 points after being 8 points off playoffs at start,  West Ham got relegated.

First full season, led the league till start of April when hit awful form, nobody fit, and players sold for money I couldn't turn down, Stoke and West Ham caught me with 4 games to go, sitting second, Stoke beat West Ham to put me second going to second last game, where i got beat by already down Portsmouth.  In to last game drawing 1-1 where as Stoke and West Ham both leading and going up and my season bound to end with play offs, up steps Chris Cadden of all players to rip one in from 30 yards to promote me over West Ham, genuine up celebrating in living room. So now been given 40 million to spend to keep me in the Premiership, but going to have to change my style from get ball wide and get players forward  quickly, to something where I wont  be opened up every game.

Sam Lammers  from PSV scored 26 in the season which included a 12 game stretch where he missed a couple of pens and couldn't score in a brothel!

Edited by NYD1997

1 hour ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

I think my game is broken.

Barcelona were looking for a new manager and Neil Lennon was heavily linked.

Ultimately Barca appointed Zidane. :lol:

I had a save last year where some non-entity Scottish manager (I'm sure it was Steve Aitken) was Roma manager after about 15 seasons.

I bought this on a whim hoping to spark up an interest in Football Manager again (I'm a 1997-2017 veteran). Almost immediately sacked as United manager and found the tactics and much else just either too fiddly or, and maybe it is my fault for not doing more research, too overly complicated. 

Oh well.

I bought this on a whim hoping to spark up an interest in Football Manager again (I'm a 1997-2017 veteran). Almost immediately sacked as United manager and found the tactics and much else just either too fiddly or, and maybe it is my fault for not doing more research, too overly complicated. 

Oh well.

Have you tried classic mode? That’s a bit less complex tactics and training wise.

On 6/3/2019 at 15:56, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Have you tried classic mode? That’s a bit less complex tactics and training wise.

I had a look at that this afternoon but I don't think you can edit that database? I spent a while the other day updating all the leagues and some players so don't want to start a game that doesn't have any of that.

I think the thing I don't like is that I am now just out of touch in terms of what is needed to do well in the game. I used to spend ages trawling through squads and scouting players whilst coming up with a decent formation that stood the test of time in most seasons. I liked lower league challenges and felt I was always pretty good at the game on the whole. I feel like it is now far too fiddly and sensitive with a million different variables that I either don't 'get' or don't want to spend time investigating. 

I really just want to sit any play Football Manager every couple of days for a few hours and relax in the process, not having to worry about the one million different tactical variations and player roles or that I have to do in-depth pre-match analysis on my opponents.

Is it worth keeping the reserve or under 18 mangers and letting them handle the games for those teams or sacking them and taking charge myself?

It is something I have been thinking about for a short time but unable to make a decision yet.

On 04/06/2019 at 23:35, CaspianChris said:

Is it worth keeping the reserve or under 18 mangers and letting them handle the games for those teams or sacking them and taking charge myself?

It is something I have been thinking about for a short time but unable to make a decision yet.

I just let them get on with it. I make them play with first team tactics though in case I need replacements, so they're comfortable with the formations etc.

Started a save with Arbroath a few weeks back, first season we missed out on promotion via the play off final losing to Patrick by 1 goal.

Second season we skooshed the league with a 4321 (wide) Mitch Megginson for 6k as inside left forward was unstoppable with a loan from County on the other side of Greig Spence.

Recruited very well in the third summer with the likes of Blair Henderson as back up/challenging Spence, Kyle McLean from St Johnstone (unreal in a mid 3) Gomis from Dundee United again solid. Start of November sitting top by 2 points I seen that Alan Archibald had left Falkirk sitting 9th in league 1 with a horrendous squad with some players genuinely not good enough for league 2.

Left Arbroath 2nd of November and struggled till January with Falkirk, turned the squad over in January with some signings like Brian graham, Richard Foster and Alex Bruce plus a few loans. 

Finished 4th after shithousing - long throws, Target man (Todarov) lots of crosses and a solid defence.

First play off game against... of all teams Arbroath who had slid from 1st in November to 9th(just above 10th) in May. 5-2 on aggregate leaves a final against Airdrie to go up.

Hopefully blast through some more this evening and get pre season finished off.