Football Manager 2019

ajwffc

So I decided to opt for a bash at the Scottish leagues with Edinburgh City. First thing I've noticed is how quickly you can rattle through a season with a team who gets pumped out the cups early doors. Second thing I've noticed is how hard it is to get decent players on loan in League 2, Rangers/Hearts/Celtic/Hibs etc tend to KB the loan offers for the better youngsters. The star ratings are a bit odd as well, I'll have guys who are 2 and a half star current ability but are considered good players for the league above etc. It's a lot different from starting in the Vanarama north or south and definitely more challenging.

My 1st season was a bit of a disapointment. I finished 2nd (1 point behind Annan and 12 points clear of Clyde in 3rd) and was pumped out of the playoffs by Clyde in the semis. I just couldn't catch those b*****ds Annan, their 2nd half of the season was ridiculous. I also made the semis of the Irn Bru Cup where Dunfermline disposed of me pretty effortlessly.

I've emptied a lot of the dross I started with thinking I'd be able to replace them with better pretty easily but pre season so far has been a bit of a nightmare in terms of trying to find upgrades. I'm still clear favourites for the league based on the preview so I'm hopeful my squad is better than the other potential challengers. The board are expecting the title this year so I have to deliver. Chris Humphries is probably the pick of the newer arrivals but Balatoni, who is my captain, is throwing a bit of a hissy fit that I wont let him leave for pastures new.

Trying my best to stay well below my wage budget etc as I hope to be in this one for the long term.

21 hours ago, The Moonster said:

In my Watford save I'm sitting top by 3 points after 36 games.  I still have FFP hanging over me and I'm eager to find out what happens there, could very well be resigning at the end of the season if I get an embargo or some shit. Ryan Cassidy is still the most infuriating striker in the game, btw.

Last night I reached the end of the league season.  Last day saw the top 3 (Norwich, Derby and myself) all on 78 points, with me being 3rd on goal difference.  My boys absolutely shat the bed and lost 2-0 away to Sunderland and I'm now consigned to the play-offs for the second year running. Absolutely gutted as a draw would've bagged me 2nd place with Derby losing too. I got some key injuries in the run and nearly stumbled over the line but my teams lack of quality in turning chances into goals has cost us (Ryan Cassidy I fucking hate you). I couldn't face the play-offs last night so shut it down and went to bed. I think if I fail in the play-offs I'll resign and take up a new challenge, English Championship is a fucking slog.

In my first Premiership season with Ayr things have started brightly, cruised my tough Betfred cup group with 4 wins from 4 against Kilmarnock, Livingston, Queen of the South and Stranraer.  August 1, 2020 was Ayr's first top flight game since 1978  against 9 time defending champions Celtic and a packed house at Somerset was rocking in anticipation.

Celtic score 3 minutes in

Andy Halliday gets sent off 9 minutes in

Somehow we manage to limit them to 2-0

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

In my first Premiership season with Ayr things have started brightly, cruised my tough Betfred cup group with 4 wins from 4 against Kilmarnock, Livingston, Queen of the South and Stranraer.  August 1, 2020 was Ayr's first top flight game since 1978  against 9 time defending champions Celtic and a packed house at Somerset was rocking in anticipation.

Celtic score 3 minutes in

Andy Halliday gets sent off 9 minutes in

Somehow we manage to limit them to 2-0

Celtic are a monster if they get their early transfers right, they money the generate from the likes of Tierney, Ntcham and Edouard is eye watering.

I've found the top flight a fair step up from the Championship, hit the second round of fixtures against teams and it starting to slow my results right down.

On 12/02/2019 at 18:55, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Tied him down with a longer contract on my Ayr save. Managed to get Shankland to stay as well. :o

Hows Shankland doing for you? Usually ends a Scotland cap before 3 seasons are through in recent saves I've had.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hows Shankland doing for you? Usually ends a Scotland cap before 3 seasons are through in recent saves I've had.

He goes through dry spells of not scoring for a couple of matches then he hits a scoring run and scores shitloads.

Luckily when he's not scoring someone else always hits form.

I'm signed him for a variety of other teams in different saves (Aston Villa and Sevco for example) and he's been top scorer each time.

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've found the top flight a fair step up from the Championship, hit the second round of fixtures against teams and it starting to slow my results right down.

Yah it's looking that way, it took until my 7th game to get my first league win, despite having beaten 3 Premiership teams on my way to the League Cup Quarterfinal (where I got smoked by Hibs 4-1).   My big wage Centre Back Donervan Daniels, who I had signed to replace the excellent Christian Mbulu, has been a bust but fellow signings Halliday (not counting his opening day Red Card), and Marcus Fraser have been good as well.  Had to abandon the baws oot 4-2-4 in favour of a more restrained 4-4-2 but it appears to be working with a draw and a win in my last two games

Edited by senorsoupe

On 04/02/2019 at 10:44, The Moonster said:

Does your club end up completely fucked if it breaks financial fair play rules?  I know it says that promotion could be stopped and a transfer embargo enforced but does anyone have experience of it?  Despite the slashed budget I'm fairly confident in the small squad I've got to get to the play-offs, but I'd hate to go a full season toiling with this shit to then be denied promotion. Am I best getting out of here as soon as possible? 

Ryan Cassidy must be the most frustrating striker in the game - could beat a whole team with a blindfold on but he cannot finish his fucking dinner. 

In my Colchester game, I broke the FFP rules of the EPL a couple of seasons back. After having a mid-January fire sale firing out my top earners(I had a GK earning £125K a week for Colchester! :lol:) I eventually broke it by under £2m. My punishment was a fine so makes me regret not pushing on more in the league. I think I finished 6th but I was definitely challenging. 

I had Ryan Cassidy in my Col U save between 2025-2027. I signed him when I had just been relegated from the EPL to the Championship on the basis of his 23 and 12 goals in the preceding two years. He scored 9 in the Champ. I got promoted and he scored 1 in the Prem. Cost me £22m and sold for £5. Currently playing out his tits in Italy with Roma in 2032. 

10 hours ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

In my Colchester game, I broke the FFP rules of the EPL a couple of seasons back. After having a mid-January fire sale firing out my top earners(I had a GK earning £125K a week for Colchester! :lol:) I eventually broke it by under £2m. My punishment was a fine so makes me regret not pushing on more in the league. I think I finished 6th but I was definitely challenging. 

I had Ryan Cassidy in my Col U save between 2025-2027. I signed him when I had just been relegated from the EPL to the Championship on the basis of his 23 and 12 goals in the preceding two years. He scored 9 in the Champ. I got promoted and he scored 1 in the Prem. Cost me £22m and sold for £5. Currently playing out his tits in Italy with Roma in 2032. 

I got to the end of the season last night and luckily the £25M TV deal came in the day before the end of the FFP deadline, so I ended up with a loss of £11M which is delightful considering I was projected to make a loss of about £80M at the start of the season. Cassidy is so frustrating, dribbling and first touch is world class and if he starts scoring he'll be unstoppable. Frustratingly his value is only at £3.2M just now, I'm assuming purely because he can't score a fucking goal, so selling him makes little sense when he still has potential. If he was able to bring me in £10-20M I'd sell tomorrow. I wonder if there's some secret way you're supposed to play him aside from in his preferred role and position, I see FM blogs regularly tout him as a great signing but I'm yet to see it.

On 13/02/2019 at 10:47, The Moonster said:

Last night I reached the end of the league season.  Last day saw the top 3 (Norwich, Derby and myself) all on 78 points, with me being 3rd on goal difference.  My boys absolutely shat the bed and lost 2-0 away to Sunderland and I'm now consigned to the play-offs for the second year running. Absolutely gutted as a draw would've bagged me 2nd place with Derby losing too. I got some key injuries in the run and nearly stumbled over the line but my teams lack of quality in turning chances into goals has cost us (Ryan Cassidy I fucking hate you). I couldn't face the play-offs last night so shut it down and went to bed. I think if I fail in the play-offs I'll resign and take up a new challenge, English Championship is a fucking slog.

Took on the play-offs last night, comfortable semi-final win over QPR (3-1), Crystal Palace in the final - domination from start to finish, 16 shots at goal to their 4, bar hit, post hit, finished 1-0 to Palace. Fucking tears.  Unsure if I'll resign, I'm going to have a scout for a striker and if I can get an EPL striker in I might stay, I have built a good young side and we should finish in the auto spots next year, but I'm not sure I've got the long slog in me again.

Cassidy is one of those player who seems to do well for the AI, but will never do well for the player.

Seems to be one or two players like that every version for some reason.

5c68504ed1728_LadbrokesPremiership_MatchesCompetitionReview.thumb.png.5654662a90a876c03dd93a390405eefc.png

We managed it :lol: First season up and we've avoided relegation, I'll finish 6th, as theres no chance I'll win many, if any, games now. £2.1m headed my way though, hopefully get a whack of that in the Summer as we're "only" £200k in the red at this stage of the season.

Strachan has been with us since the first season in the Championship, on loan from St Johnstone the whole time. They "want to give him a chance in the first team" now though, and won't entertain any offers, so this'll be his final year here. But what a year :wub:

5c68504daca8e_AndrewStrachan_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.8420c5ad2f95dacc3adb0331df0f06f5.png

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

£2.1m headed my way though, hopefully get a whack of that in the Summer as we're "only" £200k in the red at this stage of the season...

The Lord Giveth With One Hand....

5c68744935af3_DanielBegg_Inbox-3.thumb.png.ff30801b83c50dbf4401a1e37b5c458e.png

.. Then Taketh With The Other

On 15/02/2019 at 18:36, RandomGuy. said:

Cassidy is one of those player who seems to do well for the AI, but will never do well for the player.

Seems to be one or two players like that every version for some reason.

I think I've cracked the enigma. I switched to a flat 4-4-2 this season (was playing 4-1-2-3 DM in previous seasons with a 4-4-1-1 as the back up option) and Cassidy has been on fire.  Playing him as an Advanced Forward with a Pressing Forward playing next to him and he's scored 9 in 13 with 5 assists to go with it.  I do have two excellent wingers this season, but I think having a good Pressing Forward next to him to harass the defence has helped hugely. He got injured and my form has taken a wee bit of a dive, but I'm currently joint top after 18 games. I'm scoring for fun but every 4 or 5 games the team seem to stutter which is preventing me from opening up a gap at the top, but I think over the course of the season my firepower will prove too much. If I end up in the play-offs again I'm retiring from the game.

My second season with Edinburgh City seen me absolutely piss the league and win it by 30 points in the end up. I only lost 2 matches the entire season, both of those against my bogey team Albion Rovers. I didn't actually lose my first game until February which was a bit of a gutter.

I really thought I'd struggle with League 1, despite making some decent summer additions, but I've been absolutely flying so far. 15 games into the season and I've won 13 and drawn 2. The league is pretty strong as well with the likes of Falkirk and Alloa kicking around. I think I'm about 14 points clear at the top already, mostly down to no other team being able to put a run together.

My only concern is that despite my ridiculously good form crowds are still pretty poor. I think we only sold an extra 50 season tickets and in general attendences aren't great. If we make it into the Championship I fear finances will be a major issue unless we see a massive leap in crowd numbers. We're already making a monthly loss despite me being about 2.5k under my wage budget, and that's without me adding the transfer funds to it.

FWIW Mitch Megginson is a god.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

My second season with Edinburgh City seen me absolutely piss the league and win it by 30 points in the end up. I only lost 2 matches the entire season, both of those against my bogey team Albion Rovers. I didn't actually lose my first game until February which was a bit of a gutter.

I really thought I'd struggle with League 1, despite making some decent summer additions, but I've been absolutely flying so far. 15 games into the season and I've won 13 and drawn 2. The league is pretty strong as well with the likes of Falkirk and Alloa kicking around. I think I'm about 14 points clear at the top already, mostly down to no other team being able to put a run together.

My only concern is that despite my ridiculously good form crowds are still pretty poor. I think we only sold an extra 50 season tickets and in general attendences aren't great. If we make it into the Championship I fear finances will be a major issue unless we see a massive leap in crowd numbers. We're already making a monthly loss despite me being about 2.5k under my wage budget, and that's without me adding the transfer funds to it.

FWIW Mitch Megginson is a god.

Away crowds in the Championship help, a lot, depending what clubs are there obviously. 

I was pretty skint until I got an away tie to Celtic in the cup, can make you over £300k.