Gelling Threadbare Rovers v Stenhousemuir

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the penalty looked soft (albeit from the other end of the park), although I felt we were denied a much more clear cut penalty about 5 minutes later. 
With regards to Wright being a Billy bigbawz and nearly getting caught out, I thought it was a shocking back pass to give him. 

Aye. The pen was never a pen. It was actually a cracking challenge.

Like you say though, the one 5 mins later where Gillespie was dragged down should have been a pen and it wasn’t given so its all swings and roundabouts.

I think yesterday's performance highlighted the importance of staying full time. We definitely had an edge over Stenny who weren't a poor side. Physically we were stronger in the challenges and a yard quicker with pace. Discipline was much better too. I think Stenny will feel they were unlucky with some of the chances they had (hit the woodwork twice) but overall we were far more superior and dominant. With Vaughan, Davo, Duggan still due back as well as Milne getting back to match fit, I'm quite excited.

It's also worth pointing out that the other teams in the league have all started taking points off each other too (except Arbroath). If it's going to come down to the wire then it seems Arbroath are going to be the team to challenge us.

I also heard the guys on Radio Scotland slating Livis new pitch yesterday. I thought ours looked fantastic.

Managed to find a stream online for the game. I was very impressed with some of our link up play. Flanagan looked much better than I thought he would be.

I'm really not fussed about the performance as long as we get the three points. Raith have rarely ever been an 'entertaining' team to watch.

We got the win which is what is important, however we were absolutely stinking. Buchanan is finished, standard Rovers retirement home for has beens. Positives though is Gillespie and Flanagan both looked excellent, Nesbit looked sharp also, good at holding up the ball also. But we need a winger in on loan ASAP.

Decent enough pergormance and deserved win in the end. Very soft pen but it was a late challenge I thought rather than anything malicious.  Nicely taken pen and then we huffed and puffed a bit and generally rode our luck from time to time. Once the 2nd goal arrived the relief was palpable and you could see the confidence flowing a bit. Thought Flanigan and Nesbit were our best performers though to be fair most had decent a game.

Now do yourself a favour Baz and play as many kids as you can on Tuesday night and get the feck out of that nonsense cup.

We weren't great yesterday by any means, but we were better than I expected and at times there was some promising attacking interplay between our forward players which was an improvement on the norm for last season. We did struggle to create chances in the first half and there was some slackness at the back at times but the positives outweighed the negatives.

Once we don't have to rely on buchanan up top or Matthews out wide every week I think we will do OK.

The young guys all looked good enough yesterday. Wright didn't really have a save to make, everything was straight at him and he was quick off his line to deal with lose balls etc. Flapped at one cross but these sort of things will happen with a young 'keeper

First game iv been able to get to this season and as bored at points as i was it was a solid enough display. Don't think we will drop many points at home again this season. The away form is still a worry though.

Feel a bit silly voting for valentine for motm but I blame the teamsheet as I thought it was him at lm. Flanagan looked like he could be a real. Handful for defenders at this level. Quick, skillful and his final ball was decent aswell. Layed one on a plate for buchanan who being a penalty box striker really should have finished.

Stenny didn't look a bad team, certainly better than the likes of queen's Park were last season. Just lacked the cutting edge against what is a solid defense. Thought Smith was fortunate to not at least get a booking after his kick out at bene then giving nesbit a wee shove (who also done well) he kept the score down though and is a decent enough 'keeper for this level.

Archived