St Johnstone v Hibernians, Sunday 12th August 2018

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good open game, enjoyed it. 

Hibs good in possession, and have a lot of tidy midfield attacking players with good movement. Thought Hibs had a few good chances in first half but great goalkeeping, and a brilliant block by Foster kept them out.

Drey Wright was ripping the Hibs left a new one everytime he went at them, him and Foster look a really good partnership down the right. 

Kennedy is a very good player, but needs to sharpen up his decision making. Sometimes keeps the ball far too long, same last week, and Tanser/ others don't know where to make the run as he doesn't play the early pass.

Defence looked good, Kerr and Ando looked very solid, as were the full backs.  Murray doing a great job as usual.

The best thing about the game compared to last week was the fight and aggression.

Hibs had a lot of the ball in our half, but we seemed content to sit in and let them have it, and they didn't get in behind us too much in the second half. Cracking ball in from Boyle for the equaliser, Ando had been pulled wide and was trying to get back in, not sure if Kerr had come across to cover, but it seemed a nightmare for Kerr and Foster to deal with.

Ambrose is quality, though he should have been penalised for a foul on Kennedy late on.

Well done to Perth & Kinross Council for spending tens of millions on a new road which has actually made traffic worse...  genius.  That new road behind the north stand was at a standstill well before KO and there were still Hibs buses and cars pouring in 15 minutes into the game.  Half way through the match the road looked empty, so obviously all football traffic. That's the ground less than half full, could be a laugh if/ when we ever get a much bigger crowd.

Finally, what the f**k was that ginger stumpy lord of the rings type creature that Hibs brought on in the second half?  That was a disgrace.

Bit more encouraging against a hibs side that look a couple of players away from being a very good side.

It's good having a couple of players in Kennedy and Wright that look like they'll cause teams problems and thought Alston supported Watt well. We still aren't keeping the ball well enough in the middle of the park but hopefully we'll get someone in by the end of the month to resolve that. Look much more dangerous going forward though.

Tanser struggled with Boyle but think we know that's the side of the game he struggles with and hopefully experience will mean less days like today as the season goes on. Early days but Foster looks like the player from his first season - some block as well.

Dreaded today tbh but now looking forward to the next game.

Thanks to the hibs fans clapping at half time too!

1 minute ago, nelsjfc said:

Thanks to the hibs fans clapping at half time too!

Its not often you see a half time raffle where the prize is a Victoria Sponge and a side of bacon what.png.28b771af19b3e02800bc08104bf7fd95.png

A very decent match between two teams trying to play good football. Both sides created good chances and had decent spells of pressure and that’s all we can really ask for and expect against what is a very good hibs side. 

From a saints point of view, the performances of Wright, Watt and Kennedy were encouraging. Not everything is coming off but all 3 had good moments in the match. Craig was good in the holding role although it’s still the weak spot in our team right now. I thought Tanser dealt with Boyle as well as can realistically be expected and Foster was excellent on the right. I’m still not completely convinced by Clark. 

I hope this is the kind of performance we can start to expect at home. There are still improvements we need to make but much more fun watching that than some of the shite we put up with last season. 

Edit: I called hibs hearts. :lol: 

sorry lads. 

Hopefully TW grills Lennon about potential targets he had if deals for Hyndman and Mallan hadn't come through. Two players who are exactly the mould of player we're after. 

I'm not for one second saying we could afford those players, before anyone starts, just that similar players are what we need. 

I thoroughly enjoyed that. Could have been 4-4, both keepers made terrific saves, a few dodgy moments and both teams with some last ditch blocks when it looked like the ball was rustling the net. Tony Watt showed a lot of fight today against 3 big centrehalves and if he keeps on like that then he’ll grab goals all season. Wright was brilliant first half, but took some fairly hefty challenges and was then doubled up on, at which point the space should have opened up inside. Kennedy is good on the ball, but needs to go byline as well as inside to keep the defenders guessing. Both Kerr and Gordon will soon realise on a day like today you play it safe and don’t dwell on it, but luckily got away with it. Like I say, great game of football and I suspect the Hibs fans will be getting value for money if they’ve bought a season ticket.

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

An absolute stonewall penalty I though when Ambrose went up (from a corner?) and blocked it with his hand.

He did also have a superb block from Alston's shot from outside the box that he deflected over the bar.

"Blocked with his hand"

You mean a mis-timed header that resulted in the ball scuffing off his arm that was in no way in an unnatural position?

1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

"Blocked with his hand"

You mean a mis-timed header that resulted in the ball scuffing off his arm that was in no way in an unnatural position?

Only seen it in real time so I'm not going to argue (yet!).  Have you seen it played back?

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Only seen it in real time so I'm not going to argue (yet!).  Have you seen it played back?

Could only go by the commentary and how they decribed it. Saying they've seen them given, but would have been extremely harsh considering it was in no way intentional and wasn't blocking off a clear goal scoring opportunity.

4 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Thought Craig was excellent in the middle. My MoM

He’ll likely get my WAP vote too. Read the game really well,  covered the full backs when they were struggling and didn’t waste many passes. Alston and Davidson worked reasonably well along side him too.  

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hopefully TW grills Lennon about potential targets he had if deals for Hyndman and Mallan hadn't come through. Two players who are exactly the mould of player we're after. 

I'm not for one second saying we could afford those players, before anyone starts, just that similar players are what we need. 

Yes both look very good; comfortable on the ball, always looking to get on it, and with good movement. 

You look at that starting Hibs team, and the fact that they can still bring on Kambieri, Swanson, Slivka etc and you realise the difference in depth of attacking options that they have.

Having said that, they don't look solid, and possibly the balance of their side is still not quite there.  You have to be prepared to create them a problem as they look likely to give away a lot of chances.

Archived