StMirren visit Ibrox 12th August

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Would love us to take something from here, and while it's possible I don't think it's likely. I also think that this isn't the game either side should use to judge their progress.

If I had to go with a side it would likely be a 4-5-1 with Smith and Flynn being wide on a central 2 mid and McGinn dropping deeper to cover the defence. It's not a formation that overly suits our side as it is, but I am more of damage limitation here. It is a "free shot" as Lex has said, but a 4+ goal hounding would not help us at all.

Samson

(P) McGinn / Baird / Kpekawa / Coulson

(S) McGinn

Flynn / Willock / Magennis / Smith

Mullen

There is a shit ton wrong with that, but it's an answer to a question rather than a statement of intent.

Free shot, progress and damage limitation. 

WHAT A LOT OF  SHITE. 

Just go out and fecking beat them and get the 3 points. 

They are only fecking cheating Sevco. 

We beat the deceased Team plenty times when the odds were against us. 

COME ON THE SAINTS 

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that the best defence of the outlook you can muster?
Of course Rangers are strong favourites.  But if the diddy sides approach these games deciding in advance that losing doesn't matter, it doesn't aid their chances.
Hopefully Stubbs and his players have more about them than that.
Can work both ways. The pressure is all on Rangers to win today. Sure you want to win every game but it's not expected of us.

Big incentive though, if we win we go joint top and move 6 clear of the bottom, even just 2 games in it would relieve a bit of pressure with the tricky start we have.

13 minutes ago, shull said:

Free shot, progress and damage limitation. 

WHAT A LOT OF  SHITE. 

Just go out and fecking beat them and get the 3 points. 

They are only fecking cheating Sevco. 

We beat the deceased Team plenty times when the odds were against us. 

COME ON THE SAINTS 

I have stated on several occasions that we can beat them, it's whether we will, at this point, do that.

I just don't believe we are in that position now, and I base that both on our relative performances up to now and the merits of each squad. You seem to be advocating throwing caution to the wind. That would be, to me, naivety born from bravado.

5 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I have stated on several occasions that we can beat them, it's whether we will, at this point, do that.

I just don't believe we are in that position now, and I base that both on our relative performances up to this point and the merits of each squad. You seem to be advocating throwing caution to the wind. That would be, to me, naivety born from bravado.

What a snoozepost.

Just get fecking intae them and get the glory and the 3 points. 

You're thinking too much. 

Just now, kevthedee said:

Don't agree with this free hit rubbish,st mirren fans will have paid good money for this match and deserve a performance.

Also in football you just never know what could happen during a game.

It's a free hit purely on the basis that nobody expects us to win. That's all. It doesn't in some way suggest that we should put on a sub par performance.

21 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

It's a free hit purely on the basis that nobody expects us to win. That's all. It doesn't in some way suggest that we should put on a sub par performance.

But it permits it before you even start.

It's perfectly realistic to think that some of the sides who might be more direct rivals for St Mirren this season, will in fact take points from Rangers.  Defeat for St Mirren would not therefore be free of consequences.

Strachan gave us two free hits at Germany a few years back.  We lost twice while Eire and Poland beat them.

If we can get through the opening 20mins unscathed,  then we'll have a chance. Their fans are notoriously bad for getting on the players backs. Hopefully we can keep them out in the opening exchanges and try and get forward as much as we can. No point in sitting back. 

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

I'm not defending anything. I simply disagree with your premise.

Just agree with him and get on with your life, it's easier that way.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It kinda does.  

It certainly permits a performance that yields no points and sub par ones are better for achieving that.  

What else does the "free" bit refer to?

Mince,these 2 teams are still to taste defeat this season by saying it's a free hit you are being part of the entitlement of sevco.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It certainly permits a performance that yields no points and sub par ones are better for achieving that. 

Again, no it doesn't. You seem to be reading from "the big bumper book of rules", written by Monkey Tennis, that isn't available to the rest of us.

The free hit revolves around the points gained, not the actual performance. I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

No manager puts a side out to lose, and to suggest that they would is just daft.

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Mince,these 2 teams are still to taste defeat this season by saying it's a free hit you are being part of the entitlement of sevco.

Just as well that's precisely the opposite of what I'm saying then.

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

Again, no it doesn't. You seem to be reading from "the big bumper book of rules", written by Monkey Tennis, that isn't available to the rest of us.

The free hit revolves around the points gained, not the actual performance. I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

No manager puts a side out to lose, and to suggest that they would is just daft.

What freedom is attached to "points gained"?

MT is correct. Look at the rat race last year, every point mattered.

Accies - 33 pts GD -21 (3 points gained v Rangers )

Thistle - 33 pts (1 point v Rangers)

County - 29 pts GD -22 9 (0 points v Rangers)

Archived