StMirren visit Ibrox 12th August

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ok - I'll break it down for you.

You said "the free hit revolves around the points gained".

I'm saying how so?

I don't see the point in continuing this.

To everyone else but you, it's abundantly clear what the term "free hit" means and that it's in no way mutually inclusive with a team not wanting to win.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HaikuHibee said:

MT is correct. Look at the rat race last year, every point mattered.

That isn't the point he's making, he's somehow correlated the idea that if a team isn't expected to win then they simply won't try.

As for the stats you laid out, fine as they are, they are massively cherry picked. Accies may have gained 3 points against Rangers but they also beat County over the season (2W/1D/1L) which I would contend had a bigger affect on their league position.

4 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I don't see the point in continuing this.

To everyone else but you, it's abundantly clear what the term "free hit" means and that it's in no way mutually inclusive with a team not wanting to win.

It's clear to me what it's supposed to mean.  I'm challenging the idea of it though as I think it's nonsense.  

Your difficulty in responding, is not shifting my view.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Your difficulty in responding, is not shifting my view.

Jesus wept. what a fucking mess of an answer.

Your argument is put into question as it could easily be posited that a free hit allows teams to go out there and attack, because nobody expects them to win there is nothing lost in throwing caution to the wind. As for "your view", that, my friend is a problem only for yourself.

The free hit that everyone else understands is not based on the performance as such but the result. Most would expect us to begin the day on 3 points and end it on 3 points, if we end it on 4 or 6 then that's fucking magic, but the odds are against that. Does that then correlate directly to players on the field saying, "well f**k it, we aren't expected to win this game so I'll just not bother"? No, it doesn't, and I think anyone who has played for their team at Ibrox will happily testify to that.

30 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Alfredo Morelos has your defenders worried says Steven Gerrard.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/alfredo-morelos-has-defenders-worried-says-rangers-boss-steven-gerrard/

But yet Gerrard in the article is as concerned about St. Mirren as he would be if it was Celtic or Aberdeen visiting.

I'd be scared if I knew there was a chance of me getting assaulted at work :D 

1 hour ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

There is absolutely f**k all wrong with supporters seeing a game as a free hit. It's up to the players and coaching staff to see it differently. Not the fans.

They're entitled to be as pessimistic as they like - that would appear quite sensible.

The notion of a free hit is fallacious though, and to entertain it is to embrace delusion.

Archived