StMirren visit Ibrox 12th August

11 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

Roman Catholicism claims Peter the Apostle as the first pope so Mungo would have been an RC, I'm afraid. the argument being that the church's history pre-dates the Reformation. Or are you saying that the new entity can't claim the history of the old entity? Is that really an argument that a Rangers fan would want to air?

Well this is nonsense.  I hope your understanding of football is better than your knowledge of church history.

There is no basis for the claim that Peter was even a church leader in Rome, far less Pontiff.  Dealing in facts, though, we do know that Latin Christianity only started to make inroads in the North of England and Scotland after the Synod of Whitby - a full half century after Mungo's death.  Prior to Whitby the Celtic Church in North England and Scotland was led from Iona and was a separate group from the Roman faction.  Try and construct any footballing analogy that you want but the stark truth is that Mungo wasn't a Tim by any definition.

As for the game and your signing of a tall Dane?  I'll stick with a home win and a clean sheet.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Well this is nonsense.  I hope your understanding of football is better than your knowledge of church history.

There is no basis for the claim that Peter was even a church leader in Rome, far less Pontiff.  Dealing in facts, though, we do know that Latin Christianity only started to make inroads in the North of England and Scotland after the Synod of Whitby - a full half century after Mungo's death.  Prior to Whitby the Celtic Church in North England and Scotland was led from Iona and was a separate group from the Roman faction.  Try and construct any footballing analogy that you want but the stark truth is that Mungo wasn't a Tim by any definition.

As for the game and your signing of a tall Dane?  I'll stick with a home win and a clean sheet.

So that 17th century reformation thingy really only was an excuse for a fat b*****d  King to remarry to conceive a male heir then?, and the protests were really just a cunning plan to keep fannies like you ignorant to that fact and invading other countries celebrating up to their knees in blood of the same faith was something worth attaching to a sport over 300 years later.

Glad we got that sorted then. St Mungo wisnae a Tim and the reformation was a cunning plan for a King to get his hole but yet at the same time it's a cunning plan to go to war to increase the kingdom by sticking yer fingers up a the pope.

All of that is debatable, we don't have the records to give a definitive answer - there is evidence predating Whitby that Christians in Britain recognised papal authority. Think about it, how did Christianity arrive in Britain in the first place if not via Rome?

The RC church claims that it was in charge all the way through thereby claiming the history thereby making all of the early 'Celtic Church' RC in their eyes. Sound familiar?

:)

So just to confirm, I was told not to discuss religion by the guy (girl?) who then goes on to make rambling posts about how a patron saint from a millennia before the reformation wasn't a Catholic? Good, good, nice to see a Rangers game thread going to script.

23 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Will you get a clean sheet ? I have my doubts before today , now im more confident with a 6'3  Dane added to our front line. 

I know this is tempting fate here but Goldson and Katic will be Lap it up if you go route 1 to a tall target man. They are both excellent in the air and both up to a physical challenge 

Ryan Jack still out after that horrendous challenge from May! Hopefully he ll make away European tie.

I can see the Manager making a few changes. Barisic for Flann is the most obvious. Maybe see Sadiq get a decent run out and young Middleton 

32 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

I know this is tempting fate here but Goldson and Katic will be Lap it up if you go route 1 to a tall target man. They are both excellent in the air and both up to a physical challenge 

Ryan Jack still out after that horrendous challenge from May! Hopefully he ll make away European tie.

I can see the Manager making a few changes. Barisic for Flann is the most obvious. Maybe see Sadiq get a decent run out and young Middleton 

St Mirren haven't played route one for years, and I don't imagine Sunday will be a good time to change our style of play. In saying that , I'm hopeful our delivery into the box is decent having watched the Maribor game last night. In the first half they created 4 or 5 great opportunities from crosses and cut backs. If their forwards had been on their game , it could have been a different outcome. 

9 hours ago, BobWilliamson said:

Horrendous challenge by May & Flann? :lol: Excellent spin-doctoring NoB and a whiff of flannel there at the end methinks.

40 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I wrote his surname out in full the other day and needed to go for a lie down afterwards.

Monkey being a fanny over Flanny....

13 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Talking tactics in the Saints thread. Consensus is that we play a five man diamond. I shall name this the blood diamond formation.

How you going to combat that Stevie G?

He'll probably punch a DJ or something.

Archived