Which Scottish Championship Manager Will Leave First?

Which Championship Manager Will Leave First?  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Getting a team up through the play-offs isn't by itself a marker of success - look at Darren Dods' gormless efforts with Brechin last season and how his stock is plummeting by the week. If Goodwin keeps Alloa up (unlikely) or has them yo-yoing between the leagues for a while then he'll be in the frame for one of the lesser full-time jobs. He's the least likely manager to leave their club this season though. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This "can't afford to sack the manager" thing is rubbish too. People always seem to assume you need to give a massive cheque when they leave. You don't. You can just keep paying them a monthly/ weekly salary. 

If say Dundee Utd lose their first 8 games does anyone seriously think Lazlo wouldn't be binned?

15 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

This "can't afford to sack the manager" thing is rubbish too. People always seem to assume you need to give a massive cheque when they leave. You don't. You can just keep paying them a monthly/ weekly salary. 

If say Dundee Utd lose their first 8 games does anyone seriously think Lazlo wouldn't be binned?

In Laszlo's case you'd also have to continue paying his backroom staff that nobody else is going to want and deal with the parade of ringers that he also brought to the club. Having already spent your budget on those players and the management team over the summer. It's not a case of not being able to afford to sack a manager as the board not being willing to just write off that huge amount of resources just because the fans are collectively wetting their knickers after the first game of the season. Unless the team is in a dire predicament then the board will be reluctant to get rid - and there is little chance of Dundee United (or Partick Thistle for that matter) being on the receiving end of a string of weekly pumpings in this division. 

Utter mediocrity, seethe and no change in the dugout is on the agenda instead. 

I think financially of any club surely Partick are the best placed in terms of being able to afford to sack their manager with the lottery couple pumping money in left, right and centre?

In footballing terms I think the club who NEED to sack their manager immediately, but financially would be fucked are United. The guy's a fucking moon howler. 

On 8/6/2018 at 09:55, DA Baracus said:

John Potter certainly did not do better

That didn't happen. 

We don't speak about that time. 

47 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

I think it was Skyline Drifter who came on our thread during the off season and mentioned that the length of the managers contract doesn't mean that you'll be fully paying that up when they leave, apparently it's pretty common to have a clause where you only pay up so many months, which I was completely unaware of tbh. 

I think the end of August is the best time to judge this. Archibald will be given time IMO due to his previous incredible achievements with Patrick.

Llazlo will have to go I think, probably sooner rather than later. 

Hartley- I don't expect to be given much longer than Houston was last season, especially if performances don't improve. 

Gary Naysmith or Alan Archibald imo.

The only way Naysmith won't be in charge of us by the end of the season is if a club come in for him, which I highly doubt will happen.

Or he might choose to just walk away for whatever reason.

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The only way Naysmith won't be in charge of us by the end of the season is if a club come in for him, which I highly doubt will happen.

:lol:

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

This.

Barring a season that Brechin would scoff at, he won't get sacked.  I think he'd even survive a Gus one.

What's likelier is that we shuffle around the middle somewhere, and for reasons best known to other boards, he gets tempted away in an upwards direction as were Chisholm and McIntyre.

On 05/08/2018 at 19:39, Ludo*1 said:

Sacked or poached - You decide!

United fans absolutely detest Csaba and Partick Thistle fans are finally getting to the end of their tether with Archibald (Who incidentally, I think would be a great shout for United!). Will a club in the league above buckle and punt one of their managers and swoop for a talented manager in this division? Or even down South?

With the likes of Hopkin and McIntyre available on a free, it surely won't be too long till a team 'twists' and that's before mentioning perennial contenders like Duffy and Yogi are also available.

More importantly, who are the most hated players in Scottish football? Have you been running the results past the Zimbabwean Electoral Commission?

PS Hopefully Archie "Alan" Archibald will be the first manager out of the door this season.  As Alan has repeatedly explained, Thistle haven't been "moving the ball quickly enough" in our last several dozen defeats.  Our board aren't moving on the manager quickly enough either.

I feel sorry for Archibald tbh, he's clearly long past has best before date at Partick but will stay because of his affinity for the club and the board are just letting him slowly fail the club he loves in order to save a few quid.

Both him and Partick need a fresh start imo

On 05/08/2018 at 20:59, Ludo*1 said:

I reckon Hartley is a good shout tbh. Falkirk's board were adding to the pressure pre-season with comments like, 'The manager has the best budget since we've been in the Championship/First Division'. He's went with a high risk, high reward strategy, but based on reports so far, it doesn't look exactly promising.

Not at all biased but Hartley has it all to do and he'll fail. 

On 8/5/2018 at 21:17, virginton said:

The collective breakdowns of the Dundee United and Partick supports won't actually push their managers to the door anytime soon - both teams will pick enough points for the managers to deal in platitudes about 'still being in the hunt' well into the season. Hartley on the other hand has form for rage-quitting and a team stacked with ringers. He'll be the first to go, probably in October IMO.

^^^ yet more award-winning fact-based analysis

Turns out that the storms brewing at Tannadice and Firhill have already begun to dissipate as soon as they beat a team at this level that is simply more gubbins than their own: this will be a repeating cycle for most of the season. Falkirk by contrast have no such safety net after barely slithering out of relegation danger last season and bringing in a lorryload of jobbers from the English pub leagues.  Hartley is more likely to rage quit than actually get sacked but the greasy obese mess will be most likely be first out the door if they can fit him through it. 

A few weeks ago I was going to post that if it was going to be anyone (never got round to it), it wouldn't be Robertson.  Now I'm not so sure.  Out of two cups - one where it was easier to go through than go out yet still managed it and in the other (which we're holders of) we feebly went out to a Dunfermline youth team.  We don't look like scoring goals and were unable to break down a ten man Ayr team at home.  He has previous in chucking it at other clubs.  I'm now starting to think that within the next few months, if things don't improve and we're bobbing around in mid-table, he'll think "I've had enough of this" and chuck it.

On 06/08/2018 at 00:21, D.A.F.C said:

I watched Hippo three times when he played for you against us. He scored two and cheated a game out of nothing. I was shocked when you let him leave and that he wasn’t regarded as your best player. He’s a handful, can play on the wing and upfront. A targetman and holds the ball up. Far far superior to that Jak donkey you had last year. He’s an improvement on Declan McManus and I was a big fan of him.

Longridge looks like a good squad player who was regarded as you best player last season. At a push...

Craigan is a decent all round midfielder who has a great set piece delivery, something we were lacking. He’s even filled in at fullback and not looked out of place. 

Something is very wrong at Falkirk in terms of what Hartley can get out of players. AJ isn’t outstanding but he would never build three poor squads. Even John Potter did better.

:lol:

Hartley can’t even make himself look presentable.

Your description of Hippolyte is exactly the same as ours when we first signed him. Livingston fans warned us.

Just wait until he can't be arsed, won't pass the ball, can't pass the ball, goes in the huff and then let us know if you were still shocked that we let him go.

Caaba just needs more time! I'm all for giving him a longer term contract .Even if united are relegated again I expect they will bounce back in two or three years stronger for his foresight and planning! The 6-1 defeat at falkirk was very unlucky and united just lacked some width! They could do a lot worse than sign Alex Harris as he has all the attributes to fit in at united!

5 hours ago, Stainrod said:

Caaba just needs more time! I'm all for giving him a longer term contract .Even if united are relegated again I expect they will bounce back in two or three years stronger for his foresight and planning! The 6-1 defeat at falkirk was very unlucky and united just lacked some width! They could do a lot worse than sign Alex Harris as he has all the attributes to fit in at united!

It's just a feeling but I think you're being somewhat disingenuous here.

I think we have sacked one manager in 22yr, there has been a few sideways steps in Totten and May but we just don't sack managers

That’ll be why your club is steeped in failure.

Archived