Ian McCall Appreciation Thread

As PalmyCammy said earlier, he did good and bad when in charge here.  He's a Dumfries man,  QoS supporter as a boy so that goes in his favour and if I ever need someone to shite in a shoe he'll be my go to guy.  Doing a good job at Ayr,  helped I would say by a Chairman/Owner who takes heed of what McCall wants and seems to let him get on with it. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was the deal with his sacking? I just thought things had gone stale and you parted company. 

He was apparently a decent player back in the day, and we made some decent money from him, and by and large we do well against teams he's managing, I like him.

I don’t think he was sacked, he resigned to try and overcome his gambling addiction.

I heard a rumour that he had borrowed money from players but I don’t know how much truth there is to that.

Sounds credible. When you are an addict you'll borrow money from whereever you can.

If they will be reluctant to ask for it back too swiftly all the better! Your friends, or in this case his own players, would fit the profile perfectly. Not that I know anything about it either, of course.

This thread has went in the complete opposite direction to how I thought it would go, kudos.

My opinion of him over the past 6-12 months has changed. Wanted him out not long after relegation and even during the season. Pros have been how he’s helped transform the club with the whole Full Time switch and the professionalism of the club. Has us playing some great football and brought some gems to the club like Shankland, Adams etc. Also managed to persuade the likes of Crawford to stick around. Cons has always been our injury list. Same players always seemed to get injured and miss mass amounts of the season. I think he’s now starting to become and bit more aware and ruthless, Docherty as an example who is a persistent offender only getting a 6 month deal to prove himself. 

Think he’ll eventually become a board member at Ayr or have a Director of Football role. Especially if Cameron is still the owner.

We'll probably never score 124 goals in a season again in my lifetime, regardless of the level. For that I will always be grateful to him.

We scored in every home game last season (only firing blanks in two games in total) and have continued this season along the same vein. If this keeps up we will continue to gain new fans and maybe some lapsed ones too, as this team are so pleasing on the eye and entertaining. When I think back to the Roberts era, getting 600 odd at home and being roundly rogered by pretty much everyone, actually no I don't want to think about that. I'm just going to soak up every minute of this period for as long as it lasts.

Managing Thistle his reign seemed unspectacular at times challenging for promotion once but comparing his tactics, his motivation and most importantly his signings to what we have now he is light years ahead of Archibald. He's got Archie's number, expect 3 more victories against us this season. We aren't going up so I hope McCall's honest men win the league.

McCall has been able to build a team. A few tweaks here and there each season and we would go from strength to strength.

He obviously has an eye for a player, is playing attacking, pleasing on the eye.

Is this style of play his bread and butter, or has he changed over the years?

Just now, AUFC 1910 said:

McCall has been able to build a team. A few tweaks here and there each season and we would go from strength to strength.

He obviously has an eye for a player, is playing attacking, pleasing on the eye.

Is this style of play his bread and butter, or has he changed over the years?

It's what I expected from the getgo, it's taken him a while to get there, we'll enjoy it while it lasts.

This thread has went in the complete opposite direction to how I thought it would go, kudos.
My opinion of him over the past 6-12 months has changed. Wanted him out not long after relegation and even during the season. Pros have been how he’s helped transform the club with the whole Full Time switch and the professionalism of the club. Has us playing some great football and brought some gems to the club like Shankland, Adams etc. Also managed to persuade the likes of Crawford to stick around. Cons has always been our injury list. Same players always seemed to get injured and miss mass amounts of the season. I think he’s now starting to become and bit more aware and ruthless, Docherty as an example who is a persistent offender only getting a 6 month deal to prove himself. 
Think he’ll eventually become a board member at Ayr or have a Director of Football role. Especially if Cameron is still the owner.
I'm the same expected a lot more hate for him, I'm the first to admit I was not a fan and was very underwhelmed when he was appointed and even after the blip we had in September last year i thought it was time for a change so glad we didn't, He has players who could play at a higher level i.e shankland, Crawford etc running through brick walls for him and managed to persuade two very good players in Murdoch and Harvie to join, long may he be at Somerset park.

He took over probably the worst Ayr team I have seen and saved us from relegation. Won the playoffs and got us promoted the following season. Won our first title for 21 years. Made us a full time club again. Highest scoring team in the UK last season. Signed some absolute gems and built the best team we have had in well over a decade. If he can keep us up this year he's the best manager we've had in my lifetime.

6 minutes ago, Honest_Ally said:

He took over probably the worst Ayr team I have seen and saved us from relegation. Won the playoffs and got us promoted the following season. Won our first title for 21 years. Made us a full time club again. Highest scoring team in the UK last season. Signed some absolute gems and built the best team we have had in well over a decade. If he can keep us up this year he's the best manager we've had in my lifetime.

Wish fans would stop saying nonsense like this, this team should only be concentrating on elbowing their way into the mix at the other end of the table, 8th would be massively underwhelming after the buzz they've created.

Worst case scenario, I'll take it but I'm looking for/expecting far more this season.

We haven't gone up and stayed up for over two decades so I fail to see how managing it this time would be underwhelming or how it is nonsense, I would be delighted. Yes this team looks capable of more but it is early days and we have only seen two of the poorer sides in this league so far. I'm hoping for more too but it doesn't mean 8th wouldn't be a good achievement given what has gone before.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Ally said:

We haven't gone up and stayed up for over two decades so I fail to see how managing it this time would be underwhelming or how it is nonsense, I would be delighted. Yes this team looks capable of more but it is early days and we have only seen two of the poorer sides in this league so far. I'm hoping for more too but it doesn't mean 8th wouldn't be a good achievement given what has gone before.

I'm judging the here and now, the past plays no part in the future, you set targets based on what you think is achievable not on what someone previously found unachievable, what's the point of turning up expecting the team to be positive if we're all just happy to avoid being the shitiest team in the league, I don't do negative thinking.

Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Im in no way saying that we should be settling for that. We should be aiming high and looking to reach the playoffs. I don't think it's negative to believe staying up is the main objective and anything else is a bonus.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Ally said:

Those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Im in no way saying that we should be settling for that. We should be aiming high and looking to reach the playoffs. I don't think it's negative to believe staying up is the main objective and anything else is a bonus.

It's negative when we've tried it 3 times in a row and ended up being relegated 3 times.

Archived