Ian McCall Appreciation Thread

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pros:

• Turned around a 12 point deficit to Stranraer saving us from almost certain relegation.
  • Signed the majority of our squad that reached the Scottish Cup Final.
  • Was the man responsible for bringing Stephen Dobbie to the club.
  • Was a big factor in us turning full-time.

Cons:

• Signed all his old pals the season after saving us from the drop, and immediately had us back in relegation bother the following season.
  • Brought Gordon Chisholm to the club who then succeeded him, and went on to make a horses arse of the most expensively assembled squad in our history.
  • Talked the biggest load of shite I've ever heard from any of our managers.

He's not widely loved by our fans, but he certainly contributed positively.  He's certainly doing a great job at Ayr.

53 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

some of the best football I've ever watched at Falkirk was under McCall with the possible exception of the Jeffries stainrod era. I loved the way he set his side out to entertain and attack.

Absolutely this. The best six months I've seen. That hearts game. f**k me gently. 

Absolutely this. The best six months I've seen. That hearts game. f**k me gently. 
4-0 up at half time, while hitting the bar and post too, against a very strong hearts side from the league above. never seen a side looking so shellshocked before or since. blew them away and brockville was rocking. Coyle and Samuel sublime

Whenever I see or read about him, all I can think about was when ICT used to toy with Clydebank when they were on their death bed.

Just now, bridge of allan bairn said:
2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

4-0 up at half time, while hitting the bar and post too, against a very strong hearts side from the league above. never seen a side looking so shellshocked before or since. blew them away and brockville was rocking. Coyle and Samuel sublime

I know. In fact it was 4-0 after half an hour. Unbelievable. I remember Levein making subs after about 25 minutes, Maybury off I think.  I'm pretty sure that was Craig Gordon's debut too. Surprised he recovered. The old lady was rocking indeed. Fucking sublime day. 

I know. In fact it was 4-0 after half an hour. Unbelievable. I remember Levein making subs after about 25 minutes, Maybury off I think.  I'm pretty sure that was Craig Gordon's debut too. Surprised he recovered. The old lady was rocking indeed. Fucking sublime day. 
ironically our ex management team Houston was hearts assistant manager and pressley was torn a new one by Samuel at centre half, not to mention Maybury as you say.

Great player for us amd made us some cash, he also spoke really well about the club at the Norrie tribute night recently.

A decent guy who’s doing a good job at Ayr and pleasing to see the board have faith in him depsite bring relegated.

Great player for us amd made us some cash, he also spoke really well about the club at the Norrie tribute night recently.
A decent guy who’s doing a good job at Ayr and pleasing to see the board have faith in him depsite bring relegated.

He's done what the previous two managers never could. Learned the lessons from relegation and came back the next year with a clear and coherent vision.

Also brought around a level of professionalism that hasn't been seen at the club during my time as a fan (2003 onwards). The place is absolutely buzzing now and it feels like all parts of the club are pulling in the right direction.

Shame his time at Thistle coincided with a mid life crisis and he got sacked and will probably never be back at Firhill. 

Nice guy nowadays and I wish him all the best.

Has completely transformed Ayr. Brought us full-time football, a first league win in years, an incredibly entertaining team and the best chance of doing anything meaningful we have had in a long time.

And brought in Lawrence Shankland when everyone tried to claim he was shite.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Shame his time at Thistle coincided with a mid life crisis and he got sacked and will probably never be back at Firhill. 

Nice guy nowadays and I wish him all the best.

What was the deal with his sacking? I just thought things had gone stale and you parted company. 

He was apparently a decent player back in the day, and we made some decent money from him, and by and large we do well against teams he's managing, I like him.

Archived