Queens v Dundee United

But Clark is a centre forward so why shouldnt Fordyce go with him? Its a fairly regular issue for us when forwards drop deep. The centre halves dont seem to want to go with them and the midfield dont pick them up. 
Look where Clark is. A midfielder should be picking him up. If not, the very least they should be doing is covering for Fordyce after he was dragged so far out of position. The first picture demonstrates what an absolute shambles our shape was in the first half. We're missing two midfielders yet we have a striker in the picture. If it was a counter attacking goal I wouldn't be so harsh but Utd had the ball for a good while and we still couldn't get the shape organised. I think it's extremely harsh for the defence to take the blame for the second.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Absolute rubbish regarding Semple.

6 games, 2 yellow cards, one goal scored. Not the record of an unethusiastic young player at all.

Fordyce and Semple had every right to expect the keeper to make a straight forward block from a tight angle instead of selling himself before the shot was 

Have you forgot about the two keeper errors over the last two games which should have been saved or indeed the various clear chances to score which were not taken ?

instead you have a dig at a 19 year old kid making his way in the game who, as the majority can see has been excellent since arriving at the club.

football is all about opinions and thankfully yours is very much in the minority.

pull yourself together FFS

k9eehBh.png

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
8 minutes ago, Mr X said:
But Clark is a centre forward so why shouldnt Fordyce go with him? Its a fairly regular issue for us when forwards drop deep. The centre halves dont seem to want to go with them and the midfield dont pick them up. 

Look where Clark is. A midfielder should be picking him up. If not, the very least they should be doing is covering for Fordyce after he was dragged so far out of position. The first picture demonstrates what an absolute shambles our shape was in the first half. We're missing two midfielders yet we have a striker in the picture. If it was a counter attacking goal I wouldn't be so harsh but Utd had the ball for a good while and we still couldn't get the shape organised. I think it's extremely harsh for the defence to take the blame for the second.

Jacobs is in both pictures. He goes forward to press the ball but has it passed by him. Stirling comes inside to press the same player leaving acres of space in the left back area where the pass comes from. Harkins has gone out wide right for some reason, tracking someone out there, not sure who.

Im not arguing that the shape isnt all over the place but if the midfield are picking up midfield players the defence has to take some responsibility for picking up the forwards. Im not blaming the defence but both Fordyce and Semple, like Jacobs and Harkins and Stirling could have done better.

Its an all round poor goal to lose, despite the quality of the run and finish

3 hours ago, SueSue said:

Spot on. Too much respect given and totally wrong tactics.

we should have changed our formation as soon as GN saw their surprise line up.

Why wait until half time to change things

when we play a flat 442 the defence is left wide open. Adding a proper defensive midfielder makes us look strong.

other teams play that way, why not us?

Because that means playing one up front which isnt allowed.

Of course if the defence did their jobs it wouldnt matter

Thankfully football is about opinions. 

I can see lots of errors in the second goal in particular. 

Two midfielders closing one man down leaving Fordyce to come out of the back four line. Sterling coming in to close in centre mid leaving the utd wide man in acres of space to play the through ball, Semple not tracking his man. Martin being beaten by a shot where if he had not committed himself the shot would never have gone in.

you say it is Harsh me saying our keeper should have done better. I say it’s harsh the Reaction to the defence in general. 

At 70 years old I thought I would give this forum a go just to give my opinion. Don’t want an argument about it.

48 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

For the first goal, Doyle seemed to be standing wide doing not much, and Fordyce followed his man across the box leaving a huge gap. Semple didn’t get across to fill the gap, he seemed to hesitate, maybe thinking Dykes was getting there. They need to sit down and watch that over and over again and learn.

For the second, this time Fordyce was left nowhere in particular leaving Semple to cover the run. He was a bit slow getting there but probably thought he’d shown him wide and he couldn’t score from there.

Martin didn’t look clever for either goal.

I absolutely don`t rate Martin as a keeper but it`s extremely harsh to blame him for either goal IMHO.

3 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Two midfielders closing one man down leaving Fordyce to come out of the back four line. Sterling coming in to close in centre mid leaving the utd wide man in acres of space to play the through ball, Semple not tracking his man. Martin being beaten by a shot where if he had not committed himself the shot would never have gone in.

you say it is Harsh me saying our keeper should have done better. I say it’s harsh the Reaction to the defence in general. 

At 70 years old I thought I would give this forum a go just to give my opinion. Don’t want an argument about it.

You claimed it was a "straight forward block" for Martin. That was harsh.

17 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Jacobs is in both pictures. He goes forward to press the ball but has it passed by him. Stirling comes inside to press the same player leaving acres of space in the left back area where the pass comes from. Harkins has gone out wide right for some reason, tracking someone out there, not sure who.

Im not arguing that the shape isnt all over the place but if the midfield are picking up midfield players the defence has to take some responsibility for picking up the forwards. Im not blaming the defence but both Fordyce and Semple, like Jacobs and Harkins and Stirling could have done better.

Its an all round poor goal to lose, despite the quality of the run and finish

I agree with you. Overall just a poor poor goal to give away. With various players involved to different degrees.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I absolutely don`t rate Martin as a keeper but it`s extremely harsh to blame him for either goal IMHO.

OK, I’ll qualify it by saying that Martin may have felt he could have done better.  He nearly got to the first one and was taken by surprise a bit by the second, which we have to say was a nice bit of skill by the scorer. It’s always the same for keepers, there’s no half-way house between a great save and a goalkeeping error......

Does anybody actually believe 1st half yesterday was really us playing  4-4-2?  How often was Dykes actually up level with Dobbie?  Yes,  he probably had to drop back to cover in midfield but we didn't look to have an actual striking pair.  It happens time and time again, mostly against more fancied teams,  Dobbie looks like a lone striker,  trying to split 3 or 4 defenders playing it out from the back,  resulting in us being put under pressure and hoping our midfield can cut out any attacks. .  When their keeper had the ball Dykes should be helping Dobbie out. I noticed at Motherwell,  Morton and yesterday,  Dobbie urging his players to push up when the opposition defence are playing it about at the back.  Defending further up the park, not giving them time to settle is surely better than giving them the initiative and letting them push on our fragile defence.  Obviously our better 2nd half performance owed as much to United easing off  as us stepping up but we could be a bit more positive from the start. 

For me United looked fairly comfortable at 2-0 but you could see the lack of confidence when it went to 2-1 and it was a case of whether United could hang on for the win

Yep, highlights showed how poor our defence is under pressure. Poor communication, awareness, organisation and very static. Can’t handle pace at all. To still be like this is so frustrating.

1 minute ago, Reverend Maynard said:

Yep, highlights showed how poor our defence is under pressure. Poor communication, awareness, organisation and very static. Can’t handle pace at all. To still be like this is so frustrating.

Unfortunately neither Semple or Fordyce have any pace. 

6 hours ago, SueSue said:

At last, a decent sensible OAP. Unlike that other slavering idiot. Thank you.

The seas parted for our first, questionable defending but well fashioned by Stanton. Simple move for the second well executed. Good move for Queens' goal.

Appreciate the goal-cams in the highlights!

Absolute rubbish regarding Semple.
6 games, 2 yellow cards, one goal scored. Not the record of an unethusiastic young player at all.
Fordyce and Semple had every right to expect the keeper to make a straight forward block from a tight angle instead of selling himself before the shot was 
Have you forgot about the two keeper errors over the last two games which should have been saved or indeed the various clear chances to score which were not taken ?
instead you have a dig at a 19 year old kid making his way in the game who, as the majority can see has been excellent since arriving at the club.
football is all about opinions and thankfully yours is very much in the minority.
pull yourself together FFS

I appreciate you’re basing your opinion on more than just Saturdays game, but you need to bear in mind Semple is a loan player, any development aspect is for the benefit of his parent club but what we patently need is a competent centre back pairing, on the evidence of the Dundee Utd game (and sadly most of our games so far) we don’t have this. My reading of Semples game on Saturday was he made too many errors but on top of that gave up the ghost on more than one occasion. To be fair he made a couple of good tackles but didn’t think he pulled his weight and we need that from our centre backs as a minimum. Fordyce has looked shaky as well, disappointed in his contribution too, which clearly can’t be helping Semple.

9 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

The 1st goal was not even near the corner of the goal but Martin was never going to save it he is far to slow diving.

The 2nd goal was a pathetic attempt to save it looked like he could not be bothered .

Archived