Queens v Dundee United

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

Great highlights as always MOTD W and nice touch re Ball.

Robbie's 

On to the match we we're e all over the place first half and were lucky to be just two down, guy looked onside on the highlights. Nice assist from the ref in the build up to their first.

Second half was a lot better and after Sir Stephen did what Sir Stephen does i thought we were going to get something from the game. Jacobs did really well to set up Dobbie's goal.

I’ve seen that game a million times at Palmerston. First half: show our opponents far too much respect and fall behind. Second half: huff and puff without ever looking like getting anything, as our opponents comfortably sit on what they have.

Why we have to be a couple of goals down before we play with any sort of tempo or urgency is anyone’s guess. If we had started the first half as we started the second I can guarantee United would have shit the bed. Loemba aside they are no great shakes, as their fans were only too happy to point out.

It wasn’t a change in personnel that made the difference, or a change in formation. It wasn’t even really a change in tactics, it was the players simply having a bit more belief in themselves and having more of a go.

It’s a performance we’re likely to see more of though given our defence’s habit of conceding at least 2 goals a game.

I’d need to see the highlights first but I didn’t think Martin looked too clever for either goal. Marshall had a really poor game as did our two “wide men”. I say that because both seemed to have been given the freedom to just play wherever they want, which resulted in them pissing about in no mans land between the midfield and strikers. Someone behind me incorrectly thought we’d switched to a back 3 second half. I can see why he thought that because our full backs were the only ones giving us any width. I don’t think Stirling has the discipline to play wide midfield at this level. There was no link up between him and Doyle at all. I’m still not convinced by Todd either. He’s a talented player but I’m not sure he’s a winger.

To use a tired cliché, it won’t be games against United that define our season. This early in the season though it would have been nice to at least kid ourselves on that we might be mixing it with the likes of them. A slog for 7th or 8th looks more likely.

It started as a the same 4-4-2 as normal with Dykes dropping off when we didnt have the ball. The big difference today was he started to drop a lot deeper as the first half went on than he usually does. I think in reaction to Utds formation more than anything else. There certainly didnt seem to be any specific intention to start the game with Dobbie as a lone striker.

The problem I have with Dykes continually dropping off when we don't have the ball is that when we retrieve the ball he is far too deep to be an option and Dobbie is left on his own chasing "lost causes". I don't believe either player needs to drop off but if it was to be one it should be Dobbie. Dykes is far more suited to a "harrying type role" and for me Dobbie burns unnecessary energy shuttling between centre backs. I don't think it is making best use of Dobbie's quality to expect him to fulfil this role.

In my opinion it is a fallacy to think that because players sit deeper it provides more safety - we had almost everybody behind the ball in first half, barely got a kick and 0-2 was unquestionably the best score we could have got away with. With Dykes dropping off, their back 3 strolled about effortlessly picking decent forward passes at will.

Second half - completely different partly down to poor DU tactics but more down to a positive approach from us.

Main question - DU have had a very poor League Cup campaign, lost their opening home game, fans morale at all time low.............with that backcloth why do we have to flood the midfield and seemingly treat our opposition with a level of respect that was not justified?

I strongly believe that with an ultra positive approach from the off we would have won that game with a bit to spare.

We should have gone at United from the off, We gave a team in turmoil far to much respect by sitting off them and falling back deep, We should have been the team pushing and having a go at them especially at home, another missed opportunity today to get the floating fans back. I canny believe the attendance was just over 1600!

9 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

The problem I have with Dykes continually dropping off when we don't have the ball is that when we retrieve the ball he is far too deep to be an option and Dobbie is left on his own chasing "lost causes". I don't believe either player needs to drop off but if it was to be one it should be Dobbie. Dykes is far more suited to a "harrying type role" and for me Dobbie burns unnecessary energy shuttling between centre backs. I don't think it is making best use of Dobbie's quality to expect him to fulfil this role.

In my opinion it is a fallacy to think that because players sit deeper it provides more safety - we had almost everybody behind the ball in first half, barely got a kick and 0-2 was unquestionably the best score we could have got away with. With Dykes dropping off, their back 3 strolled about effortlessly picking decent forward passes at will.

Second half - completely different partly down to poor DU tactics but more down to a positive approach from us.

Main question - DU have had a very poor League Cup campaign, lost their opening home game, fans morale at all time low.............with that backcloth why do we have to flood the midfield and seemingly treat our opposition with a level of respect that was not justified?

I strongly believe that with an ultra positive approach from the off we would have won that game with a bit to spare.

Spot on. Too much respect given and totally wrong tactics.

we should have changed our formation as soon as GN saw their surprise line up.

Why wait until half time to change things

when we play a flat 442 the defence is left wide open. Adding a proper defensive midfielder makes us look strong.

other teams play that way, why not us?

and how pitifully weak our sub’s bench is (first XI for the Championship, bench for the Lowland League).

This is the best description I have seen about our bench. Not even convinced it’s that good.

Mercer is decent enough, but not a player to come on and change a game.

Don’t mind Murray but he is just about as ineffectual as Stirling.

After that, lowland league 2019/2020.

Highlights dont show the Dobbie penalty claim (which I therefore presume wasnt very strong).

I had forgotten about the incident on the goalline when Jacobs challenged for the ball in the air with his arms down and the keeper made a decent enough save but decided to roll about on tbe floor for a minute and was inexplicably awarded a free kick for it. No way thats a foul if two outfield players jump like that. 

Terrible goal to concede from Rakovan's kick.

It was like an old FIFA goal: header forward from the defender, headed through ball, chipped cross and volleyed finish. Dreadful defending.

Looks like we reverted to type in the 2nd half but the first half inspires some optimism if we can bring in a competent manager. We actually have some pace and trickery in Loemba now.

The Dykes referee incident is a total non event. Basically a slip and the DU player took good advantage. WTF is Semple doing though. Appears to be sold a very easy dummy and looks totally disinterested in making a block. Really hope the boss gets him told about that. We can’t to give away goals like that. Wouldn’t blame the keeper too much although a more sprightly keeper may get have reached it.
The second goal is actually a really nice build up by Utd up until the point of the final ball which is pretty speculative but basically ignored by both our centre backs.
I’m now really worried about our defence (before I was just worried) and really starting to think Semple isn’t the answer we hoped he might be. He doesn’t seem to have the nous or the enthusiasm required for this level.

1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

The Dykes referee incident is a total non event. Basically a slip and the DU player took good advantage. WTF is Semple doing though. Appears to be sold a very easy dummy and looks totally disinterested in making a block. Really hope the boss gets him told about that. We can’t to give away goals like that. Wouldn’t blame the keeper too much although a more sprightly keeper may get have reached it.
The second goal is actually a really nice build up by Utd up until the point of the final ball which is pretty speculative but basically ignored by both our centre backs.
I’m now really worried about our defence (before I was just worried) and really starting to think Semple isn’t the answer we hoped he might be. He doesn’t seem to have the nous or the enthusiasm required for this level.

I think Fordyce has been struggling lately, wonder if he's carrying an injury?

The midfield take the blame for me for that second goal. Not only did they fail to intervene in the build up but Fordyce has to come to the centre circle to pressure Clark. If he doesn't, Clark turns and has a free run at our defence but by doing so he has left a gap at the back. Semple is initially marking the goalscorer but he drifts into Fordyce's gap. Fordyce is too far up to see this and Semple fails to track him. But if Semple does track him we have two CB's over to the right and again Clark would have a huge gap to run in to as Marshall had two men to mark down his side.

The midfield completely let the defence down by offering absolutely no protection. Great finish nonetheless.

Screenshot_20180812-114616.pngScreenshot_20180812-114834.png

For the first goal, Doyle seemed to be standing wide doing not much, and Fordyce followed his man across the box leaving a huge gap. Semple didn’t get across to fill the gap, he seemed to hesitate, maybe thinking Dykes was getting there. They need to sit down and watch that over and over again and learn.

For the second, this time Fordyce was left nowhere in particular leaving Semple to cover the run. He was a bit slow getting there but probably thought he’d shown him wide and he couldn’t score from there.

Martin didn’t look clever for either goal.

1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

Absolute rubbish regarding Semple.

6 games, 2 yellow cards, one goal scored. Not the record of an unethusiastic young player at all.

Fordyce and Semple had every right to expect the keeper to make a straight forward block from a tight angle instead of selling himself before the shot was 

Have you forgot about the two keeper errors over the last two games which should have been saved or indeed the various clear chances to score which were not taken ?

instead you have a dig at a 19 year old kid making his way in the game who, as the majority can see has been excellent since arriving at the club.

football is all about opinions and thankfully yours is very much in the minority.

pull yourself together FFS

14 minutes ago, SueSue said:

Absolute rubbish regarding Semple.

6 games, 2 yellow cards, one goal scored. Not the record of an unethusiastic young player at all.

Fordyce and Semple had every right to expect the keeper to make a straight forward block from a tight angle instead of selling himself before the shot was 

Have you forgot about the two keeper errors over the last two games which should have been saved or indeed the various clear chances to score which were not taken ?

instead you have a dig at a 19 year old kid making his way in the game who, as the majority can see has been excellent since arriving at the club.

football is all about opinions and thankfully yours is very much in the minority.

pull yourself together FFS

No, I agree with him.  Neither Fordyce or Semple do enough for the first goal. With only one player to mark, one has to track him and the other go to the ball. Fordyce tracks the run but Semple just stands in no mans land. He doesnt do enough to get across for the second, to cover behind Fordyce, either. Later on he plays Loemba onside by being several yards deeper than the rest of the defence. Fortunately for us, the linesman put his flag up.

Criticism of Martin on the second is pretty harsh. Its a tight angle but its a really good finish, far from a straight forward block.

You seem very defensive of Semple - something you want to tell us?

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The midfield take the blame for me for that second goal. Not only did they fail to intervene in the build up but Fordyce has to come to the centre circle to pressure Clark. If he doesn't, Clark turns and has a free run at our defence but by doing so he has left a gap at the back. Semple is initially marking the goalscorer but he drifts into Fordyce's gap. Fordyce is too far up to see this and Semple fails to track him. But if Semple does track him we have two CB's over to the right and again Clark would have a huge gap to run in to as Marshall had two men to mark down his side.

The midfield completely let the defence down by offering absolutely no protection. Great finish nonetheless.

But Clark is a centre forward so why shouldnt Fordyce go with him? Its a fairly regular issue for us when forwards drop deep. The centre halves dont seem to want to go with them and the midfield dont pick them up. 

3 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Im not defending the tactic, just pointing out that it didnt look like the intention to line up that way. Naysmith admits the Utd formation caught him out. Maybe we had lined up and intended to go at them but it wasnt working - which it clearly wasnt.

Archived