Queens v Dundee United

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s an interesting observation. We are so desperate for a win at the moment it is may be an acceptable tactic when 2-0 ahead at half time away from home.

However we have a poor record of employing such tactics and if we continue to win and build self confidence I hope we ditch that approach.

We were there for the taking and this change to your approach seemed like the only way would get back in it.  I think you're right - the manager seemed desperate to hold on to what he had. When you decided to dig in it seemed obvious that a goal would shake you up. Our only chance would be that you simply didn't know how to change it up again - which nearly happened. 

I thought the big centre half (Barton?) played well but we were pretty devoid of ideas and you defended well against our long throw bombardment.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

I could not make it down there today, but I have being seeing things about the second goal from Šafranko very good.  Is this accurate or is it being exaggerated?

Very poor from our keeper Alan Martin. rather than good play have no idea what Martin was doing it was as if Martin was going for a walk rather than trying to save the shot !!!

6 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Very poor from our keeper Alan Martin. rather than good play have no idea what Martin was doing it was as if Martin was going for a walk rather than trying to save the shot !!!

I feel I need to see it again.  

It was a vary tight angle and I was expecting a cut back rather than a shot.  Maybe Martin was too.  I can only assume he went to ground early, but I'm not really sure.

Perhaps a little harsh, but I thought he'd been slow to get down to the first one.  We've see him lose a few like that over the last year.

Honest to f**k. If Laszlo isnt sacked after another shite performance im never going back to Tannadice again. Stupid line-up, shite tactics and the players are fucking usele....wait what? We won? Fucking hell, QOTS you guys must have been fucking shite if we beat you today.

In all seriousness i dont know how to feel. Over the moon we won but i cant help but feel that means Laszlo will be here dining out on that win for a few more months even if this is a one off victory. If hes finally turning it around then great but i have my doubts. 

United keeper looked a bit dodgy to be honest, particularly with his kicking, and his timewasting antics were fairly laughable but hardly unexpected.

At 2-1 it's expected, but at 0-0? He took over 10 seconds to kick the ball every time he had it in his hands. It wasn't even subtle, it was blatantly obvious he was holding it longer than the time allowed. I can only assume the ref doesn't know what to do in that situation because it was utterly ridiculous he continued to get away with it. Even Dobbie stood and counted with his fingers throughout the game. It seems the 6 second rule is like the throw-in rule in that the officials don't seem to care anymore.

I could not make it down there today, but I have being seeing things about the second goal from Šafranko very good.  Is this accurate or is it being exaggerated?

I feel I need to see it again.  
It was a vary tight angle and I was expecting a cut back rather than a shot.  Maybe Martin was too.  I can only assume he went to ground early, but I'm not really sure.
Perhaps a little harsh, but I thought he'd been slow to get down to the first one.  We've see him lose a few like that over the last year.

I didn't think it was particularly special at the time and I never thought it was a lob as someone said earlier. I was pretty far away though so will have to wait for the highlights.

I didn't think Martin was slow at getting down for the first but I thought his positioning was suspect. He was very far over to the right. But I might be exaggerating as I was still spitting feathers with the ref blocking Dykes.

After a positive attacking display last week we stood off United in first half - conceded territory, conceded possession, set up with Dobbie as lone striker, Dykes withdrawn into midfield where he is completely lost. Bearing in mind United's poor run of form I am at a loss to understand why the cautious approach. If the Tannadice faithful are to be believed this is the worst United team for decades and yet we were comprehensively outplayed in first half - could have been worse than 0-2 at HT.

Don't know many failures we need to have with Dobbie as lone striker before Manager realises that the tactic doesn't suit Dobbie as an individual and doesn't work for the collective team.

Thankfully with caution to the wind second half was much better- I think we saw the real United in this period when they were pressurised but after that awful first half not sure that we deserved anything.

37 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Don't know many failures we need to have with Dobbie as lone striker before Manager realises that the tactic doesn't suit Dobbie as an individual and doesn't work for the collective team.

That's not how I saw it, pretty sure we were playing a plain 4-4-2 today. I think it was kind of similar to the Motherwell game where we were just losing the midfield. I was almost expecting Naysmith to make the same change he did at Fir Park - bringing Doyle into a holding midfield role. We were saved by the fact United decided to sit on their lead.

Have to say I saw it similarly to Rjc. Too many times Dobbie was isolated in the first half. Even when Utd (eventually) took goal kicks Dykes went into midfield. Possibly to add height. At no point did I see it as a flat 442 though.

Dundee United are absolute shite...we shit the bed first half and stood off them. Too many of the midfield are scared of the ball...we can't keep giving teams two goal head start before starting to play.

Missed opportunity imo as second half we were controlling things and much more assertive.

We desperately need some loans in as there's absolutely nothing coming off the bench!

Personally I thought we deserved something out of that.  We were poor in the first half,  but created far more in the second than Utd did in the first. The ball pinged about in their area rather a lot but we couldn’t put it away. It sat up nicely for Murray with a few minutes left but he ballooned it into row z. If we had equalised , Utd would have no-one to blame but themselves, they retreated into a shell and let us come at them. On another day it could have cost them, but they got away with it. 

Hard to fathom out why we were so poor for the first half hour.

Thought Dykes missed a tackle for their first. We seemed to be complaining about something for the second but I wasn’t sure what. Have to wait for the replay.

Thought Dykes put in a good shift though.  Stirling looked lively, bit surprised he went off. 

Maybe next league game we can dispense with giving the opposition a 2 goal start....

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Have to say I saw it similarly to Rjc. Too many times Dobbie was isolated in the first half. Even when Utd (eventually) took goal kicks Dykes went into midfield. Possibly to add height. At no point did I see it as a flat 442 though.

It started as a the same 4-4-2 as normal with Dykes dropping off when we didnt have the ball. The big difference today was he started to drop a lot deeper as the first half went on than he usually does. I think in reaction to Utds formation more than anything else. There certainly didnt seem to be any specific intention to start the game with Dobbie as a lone striker.

Thought Dykes missed a tackle for their first. We seemed to be complaining about something for the second but I wasn’t sure what. Have to wait for the replay.

Dykes had no chance of making a tackle because he got taken out by the ref in the build up.

24 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It started as a the same 4-4-2 as normal with Dykes dropping off when we didnt have the ball. The big difference today was he started to drop a lot deeper as the first half went on than he usually does. I think in reaction to Utds formation more than anything else. There certainly didnt seem to be any specific intention to start the game with Dobbie as a lone striker.

That's twice we've struggled against teams playing with a back three. I'd like to see a replay of the second goal - the build-up seemed so easy.

Not sure the Dykes incident had any real bearing on the first - he’s not exactly the last line of defence and we just opened up like a pair of leather chaps giving there striker a free shot on goal. The second was a good finish but again really sloppy defending to let the ball run through. Tbh there were 2 or 3 other near misses in the first half. We were more in it in the 2nd half but anyone suggesting we deserved a draw is kidding themselves. 4-2 defeat would be more accurate. Dykes must do better with his chance on the rebound.

Archived