Queens v Dundee United

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

How shite is our defence!? 

Clean sheets v Edinburgh City and Clyde. 9 goals conceded in the other 4. If you need to keep scoring 3 goals in every game to win, you’re not going to get very far. 

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

Clean sheets v Edinburgh City and Clyde. 9 goals conceded in the other 4. If you need to keep scoring 3 goals in every game to win, you’re not going to get very far. 

Yeah, absolutely. Said after last weeks game QoS are favourites to go down - they’re very poor- and they proved that again today.

First half was really poor but having said that it took an amazing finish to give Utd a two goal lead. The first a mixture of poor defending and suspicions of a foul on Harkins.

Second half, Utd obviously sat off, but I thought we passed the ball about well and created enough to deserve a point from the game. For the second week in a row a triple save denied us a goal

Pretty poor.
The second half was obviously the better one, but it was all still huff and puff, with lots of big punts hoping for something to fall right.
One point out of six.  I can see a slog ahead.
True. Falkirk game will be quite interesting now two teams needing a victory. Annoyed today i thought United were there for the taking. First half put paid to that. Second half we were miles better but cant give teams 2 goal head starts.

We deserved a point today but were punished for giving away yet another 2 goal lead. We can come back against sides like Stranraer and Morton but it's not so easy against better sides.

Said pretty much all the negatives in my HT post. Defensively shaky but I think the midfield let the side down big time in the first half. Little protection and no creativity.

Second half far better, we completely bossed the half and had we started like that I expect we'd have got at least a point.

Side notes - No. 90 (who should get a slap for wearing 90 ffs) was excellent in the first half. The officials were absolutely awful, the ref in particular. And for both sides. How the Utd GK avoided a booking for time-wasting is nothing short of incredible. He must have shaved about 3 minutes off the game. And to even it up Doyle should have been sent off. He took out 90 but the ref was that incompetent he must have forgot after playing the advantage. And he later took him out again and got his yellow that time. Two clear yellows.

Not a good start to the home campaign. Lets see if we can avoid going 2 down next weekend and see how we get on.

Dykes was easily my MoM only one who showed effort from the beginning to the end.

13 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

United could have won that by four or five if they hadn’t tried to sit on the lead in the second half. It’s going to be a long season.

That’s an interesting observation. We are so desperate for a win at the moment it is may be an acceptable tactic when 2-0 ahead at half time away from home.

However we have a poor record of employing such tactics and if we continue to win and build self confidence I hope we ditch that approach.

Dykes was easily my MoM only one who showed effort from the beginning to the end.

Not sure anyone deserves that accolade. For me the frustrating thing about Dykes (apart from him being a total knob end) is his lack of conviction up front. He pulls out of 50:50 when there’s a chance of a goal but then takes people out when there’s nothing on. Just doesn’t seem to have a football brain/ brain.

Not sure anyone deserves that accolade. For me the frustrating thing about Dykes (apart from him being a total knob end) is his lack of conviction up front. He pulls out of 50:50 when there’s a chance of a goal but then takes people out when there’s nothing on. Just doesn’t seem to have a football brain/ brain.
He was the only one who looked interested in the first half for me. Won his fair share of headers. Can't recall many times where he was in for a 50\50 today.

Loemba was the best player on the park by a mile, especially first half.

We were probably lucky to only be two down at half time. Great finish for the second. We were the better side second half and maybe a wee bit unlucky not to get an equaliser but over 90 the better side won. 

United keeper looked a bit dodgy to be honest, particularly with his kicking, and his timewasting antics were fairly laughable but hardly unexpected. He did make a decent triple save second half but only the middle one from Harkins was truly a very good save. He should be saving the other two.

First half was abysmal. Totally outplayed by United all over the park, we could have been 4 down at the break. We just didn’t look interested, and aimless forward passes and punts in the general direction of no-one in particular was our chief tactic.

After spending the first ten minutes or so musing on how much more verdant the roof of the venerable old fire hazard masquerading as a main stand looked than the pitch, and how pitifully weak our sub’s bench is (first XI for the Championship, bench for the Lowland League),  I was soon compelled to turn my thoughts to just how pitiful the first team is: Midfield non-existent, defence feeble (I’ll largely exempt Semple from this, he looks half decent), attacking threat minimal. 

Second half was much better, but many more first periods like that and we’ll be down by Easter. Harkins came onto a game, Doyle was busy, Dykes put himself about. We played with much more purpose, and might have stolen an unlikely, and over the piece not quite deserved, point. 

If this is the squad we’re going with for the rest of the season, we’ll be in trouble. We need 2 or 3 additions at least. 

Archived