Dunfermline Athletic vs Ross County

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

Ross County are based in Dingwall but represent the entire Northern Highlands. Not all of our support come from the same fucking village. 

What bit of this are people failing to grasp? 

What like the support coming from round about the surrounding villages, Conon Bridge, Maryburgh, Evanton, Strathpeffer etc, lets stretch it further to the likes of Invorgordon, Muir of Ord.?

Hardly hugely populated to be fair.

But overall it's a fair point but I'd imagine that Caley Thistle, Clachnacuddin and the other Highland League teams would put a dent in your support.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Queen of the South effectively represent most of South Eastern Scotland, it's also a pretty fucking vast place which is pretty sparsely populated, a bit like the northern highlands. 

What part of that are you struggling to grasp

:rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Potted hOuGh said:

What like the support coming from round about the surrounding villages, Conon Bridge, Maryburgh, Evanton, Strathpeffer etc, lets stretch it further to the likes of Invorgordon, Muir of Ord.?

But overall it's a fair point but I'd imagine that Caley Thistle, Clachnacuddin and the other Highland League teams would put a dent in your support.

Mate no disrespect but you have no idea what you're talking about. We have support coming from more than a five-mile radius of Dingwall. 

MacGregor's financial support has been wonderful and of course it's helped to accelerate growth. But we now have a sustainable fan base which has grown with a generation of successful football. Kids up here 25 years ago supported Aberdeen, Celtic and rangers. Now they predominantly support County. We are the same size as a bunch of other yo-yo clubs and that's our natural level now, even if MacGregor pulled the plug. 

All MacGregor's cash has done is accelerate growth that was inevitable from the moment the SFA realised that there was football north of Perth. 

Seething at myself for biting to your obvious wind up but it's fucking frustrating hearing sassanachs mouthing off about county when half of you have never even fucking been here and have no idea what you're talking about. 

2 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

We are the same size as a bunch of other yo-yo clubs and that's our natural level now, even if MacGregor pulled the plug. 

Absolutely delusional. When 'Uncle Roy' pisses off and you hit the same multi-year trough in fortunes that any other provincial club typically faces, you'll be back to your natural level of support and performance which will be yo-yoing between this level and the seaside leagues. Indeed you only need to look at the decline of interest at Inverness to see that the idea of a sustained boom of support in the Highlands is unsubstantiated. 

It does seem a bit of a temporary franchise like Gretna though. With the staging type stands and players just simply paid more than other teams so that they will move up north. Most of the fans who come out for big games probably support other local sides or rangers or Celtic but are attracted by a decent quality of opponent. I can honestly see it all collapsing as quickly as it built up.

It does irk me that established teams bankrupted themselves building quality 10,000 all seater stadiums to then be told nah it’s ok to build an Edinburgh tattoo type stand in a month and call it spl standard.

Nothing against County but let’s not pretend it’s something it isnt.

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

Mate no disrespect but you have no idea what you're talking about. We have support coming from more than a five-mile radius of Dingwall. 

MacGregor's financial support has been wonderful and of course it's helped to accelerate growth. But we now have a sustainable fan base which has grown with a generation of successful football. Kids up here 25 years ago supported Aberdeen, Celtic and rangers. Now they predominantly support County. We are the same size as a bunch of other yo-yo clubs and that's our natural level now, even if MacGregor pulled the plug. 

All MacGregor's cash has done is accelerate growth that was inevitable from the moment the SFA realised that there was football north of Perth. 

Seething at myself for biting to your obvious wind up but it's fucking frustrating hearing sassanachs mouthing off about county when half of you have never even fucking been here and have no idea what you're talking about. 

First of all it's a genuine discussion and secondly you'd be surprised what I know about the area.

I often visited Dingwall back in the late 80's and back then it was an obvious footballing backwater with a team of Highland League status. Yeah things have moved on thankfully.

It's remarkable what your Mr MacGregor has achieved but by your own admission it's money that has encouraged growth, but at what point saturation? has that now passed? that's all I was getting at.

I believe it's now entirely possible you'll now become a yoyo club after 6 seasons in the top league. 

As for your last sentence calm doun min.

It does seem a bit of a temporary franchise like Gretna though. With the staging type stands and players just simply paid more than other teams so that they will move up north. Most of the fans who come out for big games probably support other local sides or rangers or Celtic but are attracted by a decent quality of opponent. I can honestly see it all collapsing as quickly as it built up.
It does irk me that established teams bankrupted themselves building quality 10,000 all seater stadiums to then be told nah it’s ok to build an Edinburgh tattoo type stand in a month and call it spl standard.
Isn't it Inverness that have "temporary" stands that are still there about 10 years later? I thought Ross county put up proper stands (and converted the terracing behind the goal into a stand)?

13 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
25 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Isn't it Inverness that have "temporary" stands that are still there about 10 years later? I thought Ross county put up proper stands (and converted the terracing behind the goal into a stand)?

We did. 
Plenty of other arguments to that post, but it's all so tedious. 
We've been in the league since 1994, with MacGregor at the helm since 1996, and a similar plan throughout.  So there is a wealth of articles and posts covering much of the last quarter of a century for folk to consult.

32 minutes ago, Potted hOuGh said:

First of all it's a genuine discussion and secondly you'd be surprised what I know about the area.

I often visited Dingwall back in the late 80's and back then it was an obvious footballing backwater with a team of Highland League status. Yeah things have moved on thankfully.

It's remarkable what your Mr MacGregor has achieved but by your own admission it's money that has encouraged growth, but at what point saturation? has that now passed? that's all I was getting at.

I believe it's now entirely possible you'll now become a yoyo club after 6 seasons in the top league. 

As for your last sentence calm doun min.

If you're familiar with the area you already know you're talking shite. Tain, Alness, the entire Black Isle and vast swathes of Sutherland all contribute to our support along with many other towns. Those are just the obvious ones you forgot to mention, deliberately I suspect. 

9 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

If you're familiar with the area you already know you're talking shite. Tain, Alness, the entire Black Isle and vast swathes of Sutherland all contribute to our support along with many other towns. Those are just the obvious ones you forgot to mention, deliberately I suspect. 

I wasn't naming every village and small town in Ross and Cromarty ffs. Only a few to make my point.

Vast area with a district population of around 60,000 ish, and if you go down the leagues your crowds will go down,

3 minutes ago, Potted hOuGh said:

I wasn't naming every village and small town in Ross and Cromarty ffs. Only a few to make my point.

Vast area with a district population of around 60,000 ish, and if you go down the leagues your crowds will go down,

You'd named those within a c.5 mile radius.
CountyFan pointed out that the radius is ten times that.

1 hour ago, Potted hOuGh said:

Ross County attract support from the whole of Ross Shire not just the villages near Dingwall.  They also make a dent into Inverness as I believe quite a few ex Inverness Thistle fans choose to follow them.  I doubt you'll find many Caley Thistle fans in Ross Shire and even less Clach fans.  Having said that, I grew up in Ross Shire (Black Isle) and supported Caley, but I was one of very few

Archived