Dunfermline Athletic vs Ross County

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Where have I knocked it? Seems to be a fairly defensive reaction every time someone talks about this, I think that tells its own story. 

Is you're name mentioned in my post,  no.

I'm not a Ross County fan but if my club had a Chairman willing and wealthy enough to splash cash in the manner that McGregor does I wouldn't have a problem with it so don't see the problem others have. As long as there is plans in place for when that money dries up and the club can survive its OK. 

36 minutes ago, forkboy said:

I have some sympathy for it. We're not currently living beyond our means because McGregor is willing to fritter away some of his obscene wealth on the club but if he suddenly died we'd have to cut back a fair bit. Because we mostly rely on 1 year deals I'm not overly worried about that, but I can understand the frustration of other teams fans when we've seen so many teams do this only for it to go tits up before, Dundee, Livingston, Dundee again, Gretna, Livingston again, Dunfermline, Rangers, Livingston again, etc. Perhaps naively though I have faith that when McGregor does pull out he'll leave us in a good enough position that we transition  from our current free spending (relatively) nature to something more long-term viable fairly painlessly from a financial perspective. Maybe I'm wrong to think that we'll end up screwing a bunch of local companies we owe money to after administration, it's a possibility.

Personally I'd be quite happy supporting a Ross County team who lived within their means, even if that means we end up flittering between the Championship and League One with an occasional Championship challenge in a lucky year when everything comes together.

My big problem is it's just fucking boring reading fans of other clubs speculating constantly. I don't give a shite if Morton are poorly run and go out of business, aside from finding it funny when it happens. Change the record eh?

As I said,  as long as there are plans in place  if the money dries up.  As you say,  cut your cloth to suit your means,  the Club surviving is the main thing irrespective of who's in charge. 

As for your last paragraph,  as the old saying goes,  "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." 

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Brian Graham rejected a first team wage and starting place with us, to sit on your bench. 

random greeting over Brian fucking Graham :bairn

That's hilarious :lol:, how about we get Mr MacGregor to check with your manager so that he doesn't upset you in the future :ass

1 hour ago, All-Star-Par said:

Should be used to not being talked about as a Queen of the South fan tbh.

We know our place,  and our manners. 

Of course if we ever went into administration and fucked our creditors we would get plenty of attention. 

4 hours ago, forkboy said:

My big problem is it's just fucking boring reading fans of other clubs speculating constantly. I don't give a shite if Morton are poorly run and go out of business, aside from finding it funny when it happens. Change the record eh?

Which of course is no one's problem but your own, following the long list of teams who have went tits up through owners making clubs live outwith there means, there will always be interest in any club that seems at risk of doing it again. 

Fwiw, I genuinely wouldn't want Dunfermline to be living under a rich benefactor again, been there and done it, f**k it for a laugh again. If Ross County come out the other side in good financial shape then genuinely fair play to them, I can't think of many teams that manage to do it. 

Brian Graham winner incoming now surely?

I will laugh hysterically* when I read that Brian Graham has been taken off on a stretcher**.

*greet with tears and snotters everywhere
**scored the winner

Wouldn't say I don't like him, but the elbow incident and scoring a penalty from it to get an undeserved draw in the Scottish Cup tie couple years ago leaves a bad taste. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Fwiw, I genuinely wouldn't want Dunfermline to be living under a rich benefactor again, been there and done it, f**k it for a laugh again. If Ross County come out the other side in good financial shape then genuinely fair play to them, I can't think of many teams that manage to do it. 

How long has MacGregor been there now? They have a brilliant set up, one most clubs in Scotland can only wish to have, and I think that's where a lot of the ill feeling comes from.

Wouldn't say I don't like him, but the elbow incident and scoring a penalty from it to get an undeserved draw in the Scottish Cup tie couple years ago leaves a bad taste. 

He’s also a complete fanny.

3 minutes ago, smpar said:

He’s also a complete fanny.

I genuinely can't think of anything other than that incident to irk a Dunfermline fan tbh. 

55 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

How long has MacGregor been there now? They have a brilliant set up, one most clubs in Scotland can only wish to have, and I think that's where a lot of the ill feeling comes from.

Since around the mid 1980's, only about 30+ years. 

On 07/08/2018 at 19:46, Grant228 said:

Keddie was OK if you put Ruktiewicz next to him, by christ when he wasn't there though...

Petrie is also a top boy. 

Think that sums up players that have played for both clubs? Quite allot when you consider the distance between the clubs.

McManus would be our fourth choice striker at the moment I'd reckon, I would absolutely love Morris back though, was a big fan of him. 

Late to the party on this,  but we got Neale Cooper from yous.
He brought in the boys mentioned, plus Gerry Farrell (wee attacking rightback, brilliant for us, ended up threatening to put Cooper in box and was released), and Ivo Den Bieman for a couple of games in 98 at start of our Div 2 campaign.  Think it was a favour to Cooper as he went to Falkirk soon after.

We mentioned Joe Cardle yet?

Probably more that I've forgotten about.

Don't know why I'm doing this, but (incredibly) I'd take the whole Brian Graham claim with a pinch of salt.
It may well be true, but pointing to MacGregor and saying "we failed to get that player because he's rich" is a pretty easy excuse.
We've seen similar claims with a few others, such as McMenamin who personally shat on those claims and cited other reasons why he chose County.
And in the interests of whataboutery, there's a few accounts Richie Brittain originally turned down a new contract with County, and signed a PCA with St J, as he was multiplying his wages and we couldn't match what St J offered [then obviously his wife's illness took precedence, etc. etc.].  This was during George Adams tenure, and he had strict rules on wages and contract lengths, he was brought in as we experienced serious financial difficulties in the  00s (see 'Save Our Staggies' 2005-2008).
Basically, I'm not sure Wright's comment can be cited as evidence of financial doping.

Clearly MacGregor is a benefit, and he has helped subsidise the attraction of players to an area that struggles to attract players, through wages, facilities, selling the culture of the area to players with families etc.
He (and the rest of the Board) has done this since 1996 when he took control of the club in the 3rd Div (2 years after we were admitted to the league).
And he/they have put continued effort into developing the infrastructure of the club for decades, particularly in recent years, concurrent with County's increased income and exposure,
But aye, we're just a sheep-shagging Gretna, guilty of financial doping, and there is no further context to it.
I admit it.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Football fans take it really, really personally when you try and say players are at their club because they're paying them good wages. 

Apologies if I wasn't included in that, but given it's just after my brain-dump, I'm happy to admit "MacGregor is a benefit, and he has helped subsidise the attraction of players to an area that struggles to attract players, through wages...etc."
As CountyFan said earlier in the thread, a huge number of provincial companies(including the NHS) do similar, seems an obvious thing for us to try and do too.

Personally, it's the Gretna/financial doping stuff that's annoying.  Doesn't give credence to the decades of work put into the infrastructure of the club (with recent work covered in staggie4life's post), (ETA: or the other board members) among other factors.
I think most County fans are similarly minded, as I imagine fans of any other club would be in a similar position. 

But aye, you're right enough in general.

Archived