Dunfermline Athletic vs Ross County

10 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

Just one last(hopefully) comment on the so-called losses. In fact a lot of the excess expenditure is in youth development. County have spent a lot in this area over the last decade. Things like summer courses in Orkney, Shetland, the Western Isles and Caithness over and above all our work locally all costs money. The under 10’s are just back from a tournament in Edinburgh, youth teams head to the continent for tournaments. We have a team of youth and community coaches throughout the Highlands.

Add in the Development team which has been doing well from us bringing in talent from across the UK and we can see where a lot of the money goes. Is this sustainable? Probably not when Roy goes but it will stand us in good stead. We have a strong fan base in all the above areas. True, they can’t all attend all games but many come for a few games a season but contribute in other ways by buying strips etc.

when Roy goes we probably won’t do all of this but the reduction in first team spending may not be as much as some think. Secondly the extended fan base may dwindle away if we’re not careful, but if we nurture it we can still benefit from it. Sustainability isn’t always about spending within current limits, real sustainablility is about investing for the future.

Interesting. Thanks.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Will Tony Dingwall he making an appearance? That’s the best bit of nominative determinism since Wolfgang Wolf took over at Wolfsburg. 

Hopefully not.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Maybe invest that dosh in more decent bars near the stadium!

Staggies Bar is the best option now. The rest of the pubs in Dingwall aren't so good, still.

I’ve missed what’s wrong with Lewis Martin? Still out Saturday? Beadling maybe not far away? 

I know we’ve only played Beadling in midfield but he could maybe stand in at the back when req.

Still getting used to this guessing what the team will be lark after a few seasons of it always being the same again, barring death or suspension.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Maybe invest that dosh in more decent bars near the stadium!

Thanks for the rant but since we've been away from you for the last 6 years we've actually built a  good sized bar at the stadium. Check it out at the next meeting in Dingwall.

9 hours ago, DAFC. said:

We're in no position to be judging other team's finances.

Why not? Are you saying that because our club went in to administration a few years ago that we can never pass comment on the finances of other clubs?

The Championship is probably Devine's level.  He's only ever played in the Premiership up here and as everyone knows, struggled badly.  He won't be facing the quality he's faced so far, naturally.

The Championship is probably Devine's level.  He's only ever played in the Premiership up here and as everyone knows, struggled badly.  He won't be facing the quality he's faced so far, naturally.

Careful, now. That’s a post about an actual fucking football match.

11 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

It does seem a bit of a temporary franchise like Gretna though. With the staging type stands and players just simply paid more than other teams so that they will move up north. Most of the fans who come out for big games probably support other local sides or rangers or Celtic but are attracted by a decent quality of opponent. I can honestly see it all collapsing as quickly as it built up.

They've got a much bigger historical base than Gretna, but by the same token their gormless fan's idea that you can just point to their first season back down from the best period in the club's entire history and go 'yep, this is our natural level right here!' is hilariously wrong.  How many will still be turning up to their ground - much poorer for the loss of terracing - if they're jobbing around in 7th place for the umpteenth season in a row? Barely 1000 IMO - and without 'Uncle Roy' that's also the budget they'd be working with for the following campaigns.

That's how professional football works for every Scottish provincial club and Ross County are no exception to that. 

9 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Some of these Dunfermline fans and The Scarf should have a meet up. They seem to share a an in-depth knowledge of Ross County's accounts.

At least it's no longer fucking Dundee fans giving us lectures on financial sustainability.

Employees of your club quite openly tell non-employees of your club what some of the players are on.  It's hardly the nuclear launch codes we're talking here :lol:.

I've always just thought local business in the Highlands support and sponsor their clubs very generously.

It's been an interesting 20 or so years for the development of Highland football in the SFL/SPFL. Particularly when for a period both the Scottish Cup and League Cup were held by Highland clubs. I expect this it'll all settling down and County and ICT will find their true place in Scottish football and I expect that will be top tier/second tier yoyo club with spells of over achieving and under achieving like many of us in this division.

Could do with more travelling fans for my liking.

47 minutes ago, virginton said:

if they're jobbing around in 7th place for the umpteenth season in a row? Barely 1000 IMO - and without 'Uncle Roy' that's also the budget they'd be working with for the following campaigns.

:lol: Boy I've missed this. County haven't had an average attendance under 2,000 this century, or to put it another way, our average attendances have been above 2,000 in every season we've been in the 3rd tier or higher. Hope that helps.

virginton means actual fans attending the games m8.  Not what the tannoy announcer reports the attendance as.

Edit - Forgot the site changes it to virginton. :lol:

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

virginton means actual fans attending the games m8.  Not what the tannoy announcer reports the attendance as.

Edit - Forgot the site changes it to virginton. :lol:

The argument is that the club shows the attendance as all who paid for entry rather than those who were there. In which case absent season tickets holders come into the equation. However in financial terms the number who pay is more relevant than those who attend. So on Saturday there were 3,065 people there less than 50 being Alloa fans. Given that we always struggle on th efirst Saturday in August  (Belladrum, Moy games etc) and the few Alloa fans I think that’s likely to be one of our lowest league crowds. I’d hazard a guess that our average home crowd will be around the 3,500 mark.

Crowd excitement is growing. Let's take our mind off it by going back to the match this Saturday.

I'm impressed by the confidence, positivity, quickness and goal-scoring of the Pars performances recently. Also been generally encouraged by County performances, assuming Arbroath never happened. But we haven't turned apparent slight superiority into any significant quantity of goals, and are not above the occasional defensive aberration.

So I am not convinced we'll win. It's a significant match in the league, but still early days and a lot of football matches to be played out.  

2 - 2 with presumably at least one ex-Par scoring for County.

1 hour ago, Les Westander of County said:

Crowd excitement is growing. Let's take our mind off it by going back to the match this Saturday.

I'm impressed by the confidence, positivity, quickness and goal-scoring of the Pars performances recently. Also been generally encouraged by County performances, assuming Arbroath never happened. But we haven't turned apparent slight superiority into any significant quantity of goals, and are not above the occasional defensive aberration.

So I am not convinced we'll win. It's a significant match in the league, but still early days and a lot of football matches to be played out.  

2 - 2 with presumably at least one ex-Par scoring for County.

Much my own thoughts.

I'm hopeful that the Willo Flood rumours are true and he signs for us in time for the game on Saturday.

Archived