Dunfermline Athletic vs Ross County

Big game next week and should be a decent home support after a positive start to the season. Hoping to get some Hearts tickets before the game as well.

Williamson and Higgy will be available again after suspension but will be harsh to drop anyone after the second half performance at Tannadice.

Morris and McManus to get the OTT abuse this week.

Hope any County fans coming down enjoy their day out and their bridie.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Remember how well he played in that Cup game against County? Best player on the park by a mile.

Would be nice if we could play well for 90 minutes next weekend though. We've until half time in the last two matches.

I do.  I wanted County to sign him after that.   Ripped our defence a new one.  No idea how we got a draw from that game.  

In the replay, he barely touched the ball, missed a sitter, and  generally looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.   I hope we get that version on Saturday.

Michael Paton missed one from the goal line that day. He was prone to the odd Moff moment.
Another big game, theyre going to keep coming this season. A win and we really put our stamp on this league early on.

Ryan and Higgy to come in? Harsh but I honestly feel we would play even better with them back in the team, as harsh as it is on Craigan/Thomson/Vincent.

28 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I do.  I wanted County to sign him after that.   Ripped our defence a new one.  No idea how we got a draw from that game.  

In the replay, he barely touched the ball, missed a sitter, and  generally looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.   I hope we get that version on Saturday.

I have never been to a Pars game where we dominated so much, created so many chances and walked away without a win. We hit the woodwork, missed 2 absolute sitters (the Paton one was the worst) and Fox pulled off some unreal saves. The lead up for the County penalty should have been stopped as Brian Graham KO'd Talbot with his elbow and should have been sent off. That game had everything. Wouldn't mind a repeat of that, as long as we win of course. 

The seeth from the N/W is going to be something special. Morris own goal would be fun. In all honesty, County have flashed the cash and so far been pumped by Arbroath and got a late goal again Alloa I hope the pars keep the intensity up and get past this mob, however, once County click I expect them to be decent

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Remember how well he played in that Cup game against County? Best player on the park by a mile.

Partick Thistle fans might say otherwise but that game was Martin Woods at his worst.  He's still a free agent AFAIK, I wonder who he will sign for next.  

The last time Dunfermline and County played in the league, Jimmy Mac was about to win the title for the Pars and Jimmy Calderwood just about got County away from relegation, after fannying about with the team lines for too long.

I'm really looking forward to this fixture.  Alloa still felt a bit like pre-season but it has whetted the appetite for what will be a very strong test.  

6 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Partick Thistle fans might say otherwise but that game was Martin Woods at his worst.  He's still a free agent AFAIK, I wonder who he will sign for next.  

The last time Dunfermline and County played in the league, Jimmy Mac was about to win the title for the Pars and Jimmy Calderwood just about got County away from relegation, after fannying about with the team lines for too long.

I'm really looking forward to this fixture.  Alloa still felt a bit like pre-season but it has whetted the appetite for what will be a very strong test.  

If it’s any consolation, it’s games like this that make you forget all about relegation. Pars’ 10-1 title odds looks like madness by the bookies IMHO. Our first 11 is capable of giving any team an absolute doing. County’s late win over Alloa may be a bit ominous. Don’t see them as being hugely free-scoring but they look like a team that can grind out results and likely strengthen in January if required.

Faiss wanted to stay in the top league but Dundee wouldn’t let him sign for anyone in the same league as them and despite the naysayers thinking him and his family had a problem with us after his title party snub it was his family who convinced him to head back to East End. There ma only be a couple of players left from his first spell here but his skill and his infectious smile looks to have already won over his new team mates. He’s the wee talisman that everyone can rally round. Recruiting Hippo as his strike partner was a good move by AJ. Looks a perfect combination.

Giving Morris and Declan grief will be a laugh but when the game is over they’re two boys who were good players for us and would surely always be welcomed back at East End. 

I really liked Morris during both spells at EEP but the way he moved to County leaves a bit of a bitter taste.

I hope McManus gets no stick from our home fans, but no doubt he will. He was simply offered more money by a club who, on paper, look like they have a better chance of playing Premiership football next season.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

If it’s any consolation, it’s games like this that make you forget all about relegation.

It is.  Fixtures where I have a realistic hope of two teams trying to play on the front foot have been few and far between in the last 18 months.

With Michael Gardyne due back, County might go 442 with two wingers.  That could play into the hands of Dunfermline's 3-5-2 for a few reasons: a) the extra centre back can sweep against County's two forwards, b) the extra centre-mid potentially gives a greater hold on midfield and c) the biggest vulnerability is from overlaps on the flanks, and while Marcus Fraser has contributed to a couple of goals from right-back and already has a good rapport with Josh Mullin, neither he nor Sean Kelly are the type to dominate those areas.

With the exception of one pre-season friendly at Clach where most of the second-string were played in a 3-4-1-2 (and won 7-0), County have exclusively used 4-4-2 this summer, so a change in system would be a surprise to me.

I think that they will stick with the same set-up against Alloa, then, with Iain Vigurs tucking in from the left to make up the numbers in midfield, which would leave Kelly up against James Craigen (who strikes me as a player who can do a job there but Ryan Williamson could potentially cause a lot of problems for Kelly).   I can't see Gardyne missing out but it would be very harsh to drop Mullin.  Tough decisions for the management to make.  I would make one change myself, to replace Billy Mckay with Brian Graham.  If nothing else, Graham's presence might take a few boos away from Morris and Declan McManus after his last visit there for County!  However, I think they'll stick with Mckay to give him a vote of confidence to see if that will kick-start his career again.

In my own estimation, Morris hasn't impressed as much as Keith Watson has.  McManus has been very good but for his finishing: so far he seems to be nearly on the cusp of brilliance.  Graham alongside him is a handy pairing, on paper.

Scott Fox

Marcus Fraser | Callum Morris | Keith Watson | Sean Kelly

Josh Mullin | Ross Draper | Jamie Lindsay | Iain Vigurs

Declan McManus | Brian Graham

I don't think SFSK see Gardyne as a wing-back - when they used that system last season he played in the hole off the strikers or as the most attacking centre-mid in a three.  There's no chance of Ross Draper missing out in a three-man midfield, either.  I'm glad I don't have to pick the team from that squad, because there are going to be very capable players missing out.

Being honest Ross County will eventually slip back down the leagues when they're no longer bankrolled like they are at the minute. 

I see us getting another win here for the first home league game.

Morris is a fanny but I've time for McManus. I shall be cheering my team and not booing either player.

Archived