Partick VS Falkirk

Who will win?   

102 members have voted

1. 1. Winner.

• Partick
    • Falkirk
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/18 at 09:08

Their no decent sides though. Both were average at best and yet beat us fairly easy. If we were getting blown away by fantastic footballing sides at least that would be one thing but far from it.
Everyone in this league is average. You are conveniently ignoring his point that these are two teams who are likely to be there or thereabout for play off places.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Everyone in this league is average. You are conveniently ignoring his point that these are two teams who are likely to be there or thereabout for play off places.

Playoff places. Magic . Im only interested in ones capable of winning this league. Thats who we should be competing with not the ones that may scrape a playoff spot. 

Playoff places. Magic . Im only interested in ones capable of winning this league. Thats who we should be competing with not the ones that may scrape a playoff spot. 
Scraping a playoff spot is where its at for most clubs given Countys far superior financial clout. Only one team can win the league and there are about 6 who will feel they should be competing. This includes ICT and Partick, so my point, that you were conveniently writing them off as not being amazing footballing teams, despite there not being such a thing in this league, remains.

You reframed the point he made using some make believe standard that simply doesnt exist.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Houston was in his final year as manager and you got the impression that some of the players had taken their foot off the gas because of it. The whole football side of the club looked stale and jaded.

That's not the case with Hartley.

A fair amount of the behind the scenes stuff has been restructured to give him the support he needs; the closure of the academy and the appointment of a Head Of Recruitment are two obvious examples. A couple of the more prominent board members are heavily invested in his success and any change of management would be seen as a failure on their part.

For those reasons I don't think there is any danger of him being removed by the end of September. He'll be given as long as he needs to turn it around.   

My thots very much the same bar he won't be given as long as he needs. If we are in the bottom 3 around November, the pressure will be on by the fans still going and the board will be pressured to act, knowing our board tho it will be February.

I'm still trying to get my head round our defensive 4 to criticise our playing staff 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Scraping a playoff spot is where its at for most clubs given Countys far superior financial clout. Only one team can win the league and there are about 6 who will feel they should be competing. This includes ICT and Partick, so my point, that you were conveniently writing them off as not being amazing footballing teams, despite there not being such a thing in this league, remains.

You reframed the point he made using some make believe standard that simply doesnt exist.

I great then. No problems at falkirk as we got beat by two good sides. Still a good chance we'll end up in midtable which would be a major achievement. Cant wait for next saturday.

I great then. No problems at falkirk as we got beat by two good sides. Still a good chance we'll end up in midtable which would be a major achievement. Cant wait for next saturday.
Never said there are no problems, I have said my piece on where I see the problems. Doesnt mean its fair to make up some fantasy standard of team that its acceptable to lose to when the reality is ICT and Partick are exactly our competitors in this league.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Never said there are no problems, I have said my piece on where I see the problems. Doesnt mean its fair to make up some fantasy standard of team that its acceptable to lose to when the reality is ICT and Partick are exactly our competitors in this league.

Thats exactly the kind of  view that has us in this league though. Weve competed with the likes of hibs and rangers in this league in recent years. Teams far better than the two we have played so far and with far bigger budgets.Christ st mirren were a far better side last season than either of those the ict or partick side of the last few weeks and they were built on a tight budget. Our team of 3 seasons ago would have had this league won by xmas so budget aint everything if youve got the right manager  in charge. I wasnt impresses by either of the sides we played so far and will be amazed if either is challenging for the title come may.

Guest Back Post Misses
Houston was in his final year as manager and you got the impression that some of the players had taken their foot off the gas because of it. The whole football side of the club looked stale and jaded.

That's not the case with Hartley.

A fair amount of the behind the scenes stuff has been restructured to give him the support he needs; the closure of the academy and the appointment of a Head Of Recruitment are two obvious examples. A couple of the more prominent board members are heavily invested in his success and any change of management would be seen as a failure on their part.

For those reasons I don't think there is any danger of him being removed by the end of September. He'll be given as long as he needs to turn it around.   

Are you aware our Head of Recruitment doubles up as an agent too?

Also the two people you refer to have no financial interest in the club. One is an employee the other the Chairman who has no shares. If the owners (MR, SA and DMc) decide they are not happy then those two won’t last. They will fall on the same sword as Hartley if this project fails.

Still early but the pressure is on to get results. Major change in attitude required by the Manager IMO. His interview looked like a man who knows deep down he is in bother.

16 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Also the two people you refer to have no financial interest in the club. One is an employee the other the Chairman who has no shares. If the owners (MR, SA and DMc) decide they are not happy then those two won’t last. They will fall on the same sword as Hartley if this project fails.

No argument with any of that. However, if you look at look at the last half dozen or so managers it 's safe to assume that our owners aren't exactly trigger-happy when it comes to bulleting managers. Houston was the only exception and I suspect that while they backed the decision, they weren't the driving force behind it.

You also have the scenario that if the two folk currently making the decisions were to be ousted, our owners would need to become much more hands on.  

IMO, all of that points to Hartley being left alone to sort things out. He turned things round after a sticky start last season and it'll probably be assumed that he can do the same again.

And no, I wasn't aware that the HOR was an agent. It doesn't matter. If he's using his position to make money by punting duds onto FFC, as I think you're hinting at, then he won't be there very long. Surely nobody would be that stupid.

Or would you like to enlighten me as to which new players are on his books?

Regardless of whether any of our signings are his clients, it does seem like an incredible arrangement to have a 'head of recruitment' who's also an agent. 

I'm not suggesting foul play, but there could be all sorts of things in the back of your mind if you're trying to find players for a club while also finding clubs for your players i.e. what effect could Falkirk signing a player have on one of your clients who might play for the same club?

Guest Back Post Misses
No argument with any of that. However, if you look at look at the last half dozen or so managers it 's safe to assume that our owners aren't exactly trigger-happy when it comes to bulleting managers. Houston was the only exception and I suspect that while they backed the decision, they weren't the driving force behind it.

You also have the scenario that if the two folk currently making the decisions were to be ousted, our owners would need to become much more hands on.  

IMO, all of that points to Hartley being left alone to sort things out. He turned things round after a sticky start last season and it'll probably be assumed that he can do the same again.

And no, I wasn't aware that the HOR was an agent. It doesn't matter. If he's using his position to make money by punting duds onto FFC, as I think you're hinting at, then he won't be there very long. Surely nobody would be that stupid.

Or would you like to enlighten me as to which new players are on his books?

I am not hinting at anything. I was merely stating a fact. I have no idea what players he has on his books or if he has any of our players. I would be surprised if he does tbh. Conflict of interest and all that

Guest Back Post Misses
Regardless of whether any of our signings are his clients, it does seem like an incredible arrangement to have a 'head of recruitment' who's also an agent. 

I'm not suggesting foul play, but there could be all sorts of things in the back of your mind if you're trying to find players for a club while also finding clubs for your players i.e. what effect could Falkirk signing a player have on one of your clients who might play for the same club?

I think it is pretty common practice. We used John Colquhoun for a few years to help us punt players and Stevie McBride who is an agent also helped.

Just now, Back Post Misses said:

I think it is pretty common practice. We used John Colquhoun for a few years to help us punt players.

Indeed. It wasn't that long ago we gave a pro contract to a youth player at the academy who's dad was an agent that's we'd dealt with a few times. I don't think there's anything sinister in it.   

Guest Back Post Misses
Indeed. It wasn't that long ago we gave a pro contract to a youth player at the academy who's dad was an agent that's we'd dealt with a few times. I don't think there's anything sinister in it.   

And the lad is now at Celtic

Archived