Partick VS Falkirk

Who will win?   

102 members have voted

1. 1. Winner.

• Partick
    • Falkirk
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/18 at 09:08

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Spittal was very good at times yesterday. He done more work than every other game I’ve seen him in combined.
Dont know if I’m just shocked that he actually put in a few tackles and won a few headers though. 

He put in a lot off effort but his passing in the final 3rd was still pretty poor.

12 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

Froxylias looks fat, but he's mostly beard to be fair. He was out the team for a while, apparently injured, but was probably shipping extra sessions in the gym. Mackin I think is one of these guys that will always look chunky. There was talk of not playing anyone above a certain BMI, but that's a shitey metric anyway as it doesn't account for athletes extra muscle.

See, mostly beard. 

Screenshot_20180808-222726.jpg

His gaff looks like a set off Trainspotting.

Anyway, fucking hell I thought we had problems, but Falkirk seem to have it worse off. Thought everyone played better today, I think Storey could be a player in this league after a few more games through the middle. 

58 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Go crazy all summer about going for the title and then all getting on Hartley's back after two narrow defeats to decent teams.

Calm down ffs.

On the face of it, sensible advice.

But we've been really, truly awful for about 80% of our 6 matches so  far. Simple solutions to some selection issues are being missed and this "isolated striker on his own until we're almost beyond redemption" tactic is doing my napper in.

10 hours ago, Nightmare said:

giphy.gif

Falkirk were dreadful for at least an hour today. I've watched a team who have been dreadful for the best part of 18 months, so I have experience in teams who are rubbish and do not deserve to win football matches. Falkirk were nowhere near deserving a point from today's game.

You're right, we were dreadful for an hour. As dreadful as I've ever seen us in fact. Reminded me of Dundee United away last season, where we set out with similar shitebag tactics and were 3-0 down at half time.

Saying that, the changes improved us a lot and we did the bar twice in the second half, and McGhee managed to miss a completely open goal from about 6 yards out.

Apart from Thistle's two goals (the first of which was heading about 3 yards wide before Dallison stuck his foot out) they really didn't trouble us too much.

I'm not saying we deserved a point or anything, but frankly we were so bad Thistle should have battered us. If we can improve even by a reasonable degree and the players begin to gel (how many of our passes went astray yesterday through basic miscommunication?) I still think we'll do quite well this season 

You're right, we were dreadful for an hour. As dreadful as I've ever seen us in fact. Reminded me of Dundee United away last season, where we set out with similar shitebag tactics and were 3-0 down at half time.
Saying that, the changes improved us a lot and we did the bar twice in the second half, and McGhee managed to miss a completely open goal from about 6 yards out.
Apart from Thistle's two goals (the first of which was heading about 3 yards wide before Dallison stuck his foot out) they really didn't trouble us too much.
I'm not saying we deserved a point or anything, but frankly we were so bad Thistle should have battered us. If we can improve even by a reasonable degree and the players begin to gel (how many of our passes went astray yesterday through basic miscommunication?) I still think we'll do quite well this season 
Yeah this is a fair assessment. And aye, that day at Tannadice is a fair comparison (I put that in the top five worst performances I have ever been at) I was seething with the lack of cohesion caused by the formation but trying to keep it in some kind of proportion. Had Irvings free kick have gone in, we would have been in the ascendancy, and the attacking impetus we got from the subs made it night and day to the malaise of the first half.

But that makes it all the more annoying. Everyone in our end could see the adjustments required to allow us to compete, but was started to compete when it was too late.

There is good to take out of that, but only if the man in charge sees it the same way.

17 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

You're right. After the second goal I thought we might. However, if you had got one back earlier you might have got a point. When you're struggling (which we both are) it's a matter of hanging in there. You have a lot of new players to bed in, it will take a while.

Watched Hartley's post match on YouTube. He's a moany fu<ker. While he's far from perfect, give me Archibald anytime.

10 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

Hartley will be out the door by the end of September if there's no improvement so he has to make them gel sharpish.

November the earliest with our board

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Go crazy all summer about going for the title and then all getting on Hartley's back after two narrow defeats to decent teams.

Calm down ffs.

I'd like to think a lot of the title talk was tongue and cheek or bravado. The title was a possibility but that involved getting a few stand outs in our recruitment and Irving really has been the only one so far tho shows his inexperience on occasions as he is only 18.

As for two decent sides, the both thistle teams we have faced won't be in the top 2 places come May and were more average than decent and its 7 games we have been torture in not just two.

I for one could take defeat if we have shown improvement is around the corner but its groundhog day with shit team selection/formation change at half time to fix and show improvement (which wouldn't be hard)

I for one didn't see this Messiah saviour material from last season and repeatedly stated he is judged on this season and I think the blinkers have came off a few of our fans now and will realise he is much more stubborn than our previous management to sticking to one up front

Hartley’s managed to get himself caught between a rock and a hard place, and the squeeze is on.

You don’t need a PhD is football to see the things that are wrong with the way he is using players, yet he seems to be the only guy who doesn’t get it. He changes things second half to near enough the setup most supporters want to see from the get go.

I don’t know if he has enough humility in him to realise when he is getting it horribly wrong, because he really can’t seem to face up to the possibility that it’s him, not the players who could be the problem.

There’s a world of difference between backing a manager who is losing games, but is doing the right things, and backing one who is losing games because he is doing the wrong things and shows no sign of wanting to change.

He doesn’t seem to get that the second half improvements we are seeing are because he has to abandon his nonsensical “system”, and go with something simpler that the players understand.

9 minutes ago, MrDust said:

November the earliest with our board

I wouldn't be so sure. Houston was emptied at the end of September after finishing 2nd twice and getting to a cup final. Hartley finished 8th last season.

19 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Houston was emptied at the end of September after finishing 2nd twice and getting to a cup final. Hartley finished 8th last season.

Houston was in his final year as manager and you got the impression that some of the players had taken their foot off the gas because of it. The whole football side of the club looked stale and jaded.

That's not the case with Hartley.

A fair amount of the behind the scenes stuff has been restructured to give him the support he needs; the closure of the academy and the appointment of a Head Of Recruitment are two obvious examples. A couple of the more prominent board members are heavily invested in his success and any change of management would be seen as a failure on their part.

For those reasons I don't think there is any danger of him being removed by the end of September. He'll be given as long as he needs to turn it around.   

44 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

Patons wee melt down was great to watch he really is a w**k stain. Who was Falkirks CB that kept bitching about getting elbowed?  Whinge whinge whinge.

Must have been Dallison, because if you'd elbowed Harrison yer man would likely still be limping. 

4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Calm down ffs.

Their no decent sides though. Both were average at best and yet beat us fairly easy. If we were getting blown away by fantastic footballing sides at least that would be one thing but far from it.

Archived