Selkirk possible demise

The only reason that the 15th placed side are finishing bottom is because the favourites to finish 16th, and who occupied that position, folded. And the only reason they'd have the opportunity to  apply would be to fill Selkirk's vacancy not their own.
The second worst team in the Lowland applying against the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... best from Tier 6 (If they're even licenced) seems fair to me.
They would have finished bottom and are therefore the worst. Selkirk no longer exist.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
21 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:
The only reason that the 15th placed side are finishing bottom is because the favourites to finish 16th, and who occupied that position, folded. And the only reason they'd have the opportunity to  apply would be to fill Selkirk's vacancy not their own.
The second worst team in the Lowland applying against the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... best from Tier 6 (If they're even licenced) seems fair to me.

They would have finished bottom and are therefore the worst. Selkirk no longer exist.

Still a 15th placed club applying for a 16th place vacancy.

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Still a 15th placed club applying for a 16th place vacancy.

Semantics, promote the two best placed finishing Licenced clubs to fill the vacancies if neccesary and don't reward failure.

Three EoS Conference winners and the SoS winner, I'm willing to bet at least two will be Licenced, if not, consider the runners-up.

31 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Semantics, promote the two best placed finishing Licenced clubs to fill the vacancies if neccesary and don't reward failure.

Three EoS Conference winners and the SoS winner, I'm willing to bet at least two will be Licenced, if not, consider the runners-up.

Let’s not reward failure. 

Just now, Burnie_man said:
7 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:
Let’s not reward failure. 

Finishing runner up isn't the abject failure of finishing bottom, indeed in a future EoS Premier it will probably get you into a play-off.

I imagine it will but you can’t just start going down the league looking for a licensed club to go up. 

I imagine it will but you can’t just start going down the league looking for a licensed club to go up. 
No I agree, but at least it gives those at the top end of the level below a chance to go up without needing to rely on an application. I just can't see how voting the bottom club back in is a credible solution to filling a vacancy.

Just now, Burnie_man said:
3 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

No I agree, but at least it gives those at the top end of the level below a chance to go up without needing to rely on an application. I just can't see how voting the bottom club back in is a credible solution to filling a vacancy.

I don’t think it is either Burnie. If it comes down to a vote I’d fully expect any application from the bottom club to re-apply to fail.  

Just now, Rab B Nesbit said:

I don’t think it is either Burnie. If it comes down to a vote I’d fully expect any application from the bottom club to re-apply to fail.  

It might not though, this is Scottish football.   I'd just like to see two strong clubs fill the vacancies (assuming there's two), and further stengthen the LL.

On 04/09/2018 at 21:33, Burnie_man said:
On 04/09/2018 at 21:16, FairWeatherFan said:

What if, say, 6 teams went out of business in the same season? Would the team finishing 10th still deserve to be relegated because they finished bottom?

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

What if, say, 6 teams went out of business in the same season? Would the team finishing 10th still deserve to be relegated because they finished bottom?

Correct and worth noting  most LL teams didn't even have a say or were even discussed on the whole issue  ?

Surely ALL present teams in the league should've been contacted for the meeting and allowed their tuppence worth  :o

58 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yes

...in terms of the LL constitution as written, and they would no doubt have a very good chance of getting back in through application, which is when LL clubs will get a say on what happens with team 15 and possibly team 14 after this season.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...in terms of the LL constitution as written, and they would no doubt have a very good chance of getting back in through application, which is when LL clubs will get a say on what happens with team 15 and possibly team 14 after this season.

We're not talking about the constitution though, we're talking about what should happen. It's pretty clear now that the constitution needs to be rewritten regardless of the eventual outcome this year.

However, Burnieman's argument would imply that if the team who were bottom of the league resigned from the league prior to the final game of the season, then the team above them, who had previously been sitting safely, would now deserve to get relegated for factors completely outwith their own control. Likewise, if several teams went out of business, then a team which was previously mid-table would suddenly be in a relegation spot. That's not how such situations are handled in any other league that I know of.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We're not talking about the constitution though, we're talking about what should happen. It's pretty clear now that the constitution needs to be rewritten regardless of the eventual outcome this year.

However, Burnieman's argument would imply that if the team who were bottom of the league resigned from the league prior to the final game of the season, then the team above them, who had previously been sitting safely, would now deserve to get relegated for factors completely outwith their own control. Likewise, if several teams went out of business, then a team which was previously mid-table would suddenly be in a relegation spot. That's not how such situations are handled in any other league that I know of.

They probably hoping to get away with the current constitution until this summer due to a WoSL looming and changes in the EoSL.

10 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Correct and worth noting  most LL teams didn't even have a say or were even discussed on the whole issue  ?

Surely ALL present teams in the league should've been contacted for the meeting and allowed their tuppence worth  :o

Nope, if you finish bottom - DOWN YOU GO!!!!! Not our fault that clubs like Whitehill didnt read the league constitution properly.

8 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Nope, if you finish bottom - DOWN YOU GO!!!!! Not our fault that clubs like Whitehill didnt read the league constitution properly.

Was yer finger stuck on the keyboard :lol:

Who is our ?  :lol:

1 minute ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

For what it’s worth IMO if the pyramid system is to work there needs to be promotion and relegation in all the leagues and not by application.  Only way it will progress.

Including the HFL .

30 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Was yer finger stuck on the keyboard :lol:

Who is our ?  :lol:

Including the HFL .

Yes including the Highland league the North and Tayside Juniors should be amalgamated into in and tier it to limit the costs of travel with maybe a 12 team top tier, a 12 team second tier then a Highland, North East and Tayside League regional leagues or a similar type structure.

Archived