Selkirk possible demise

Not sure of the ins-outs, how this new system is going to work but presume there will be a team that goes up next season? And with Selkirk on the brink possibly 2? Conceded 18 goals in 2 games already, and lost most of if not all of last seasons squad to various other teams. With Chairman Ross Anderson outgoing I don't and cannot see a way back for them for he has bankrolled them for years.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh it feels a bit soon to be dancing on Selkirk's grave. I was down there the season before last to see Linlithgow Rose in the Scottish Cup, their wee wooden terrace is great and they're a friendly local club. It doesn't look good for them and with the rumoured debts you'd have to think liquidation might be coming. But they've got some breathing space with the postponement, and hopefully they'll survive.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Tbh it feels a bit soon to be dancing on Selkirk's grave. I was down there the season before last to see Linlithgow Rose in the Scottish Cup, their wee wooden terrace is great and they're a friendly local club. It doesn't look good for them and with the rumoured debts you'd have to think liquidation might be coming. But they've got some breathing space with the postponement, and hopefully they'll survive.

Sad this has to happen to a community like Selkirk with its true border traditions and opportunities for youngsters to play football.I...I know it is a traditional rugby stronghold that has produced many great players but surely there is room for a flourishing football team in this beautiful area of Scotland...Lets hope they survive for the sake of the non rugby players.

I was there previously, and made to feel welcome by all. Played with some cracking players.

Border players/clubs don't seem to have the same aspirations as your Lothians etc. The players mentalities, playing in the stanks league/cup whilst you should have a rest then begin pre-season various issues surround players. And again loads rather play border am with there pals as don't want to travel to Edinburgh and afar.

Not sure of the ins-outs, how this new system is going to work but presume there will be a team that goes up next season? And with Selkirk on the brink possibly 2? Conceded 18 goals in 2 games already, and lost most of if not all of last seasons squad to various other teams. With Chairman Ross Anderson outgoing I don't and cannot see a way back for them for he has bankrolled them for years.

Bankrolled them, please what a load of nonsense

3 hours ago, Slaverysam said:

Bankrolled them, please what a load of nonsense

They had a town-house I believe that the french lads would come over and stay-in, it needed repaired. They then had to sleep in the clubrooms and get a lift into training as they where full-time with Edusport.

They played or have played over-age players in the Under 20s Scottish Cup.

But that's none of my business.

20 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Can't field a team tomorrow against Kelty, matter referred to LL Disciplinary committee.  I cant see them continuing much longer.

Surely the LL would still relegate team 15 and not revert to no relegation?

image.thumb.png.e1cc768d15bcd199f8a371368ae66b8e.png

Last season's rules, they've not added 2018-19 yet. Make of it what you will. How the Selkirk situation is handled by the League means it can be fixed to any outcome.

Just now, Burnie_man said:

If Selkirk fold, then the bottom club will still be the bottom club ie 15th....

Since they've started the season there are ways to still class them 16/16 if the LL wanted. If they fold it makes no difference to the LL but makes things easier on the EoS as they wouldn't have to accept them to the EoS Premier.

Even with 15th being classed as bottom, Selkirk folding provides a vacancy where 15th would have the right to apply for it like everyone else. And because of the situation the Lowland League might well prefer saving one of their own rather than accepting someone else's application. Then that'd become more complicated by the possible need of double relegation due to the SPFL playoff.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Since they've started the season there are ways to still class them 16/16 if the LL wanted. If they fold it makes no difference to the LL but makes things easier on the EoS as they wouldn't have to accept them to the EoS Premier.

Even with 15th being classed as bottom, Selkirk folding provides a vacancy where 15th would have the right to apply for it like everyone else. And because of the situation the Lowland League might well prefer saving one of their own rather than accepting someone else's application. Then that'd become more complicated by the possible need of double relegation due to the SPFL playoff.

Not sure there is now any ability to "apply" given there will be, presumably, a lot more Licenced clubs in the EoS come end of the season.

Whatever happens, if Selkirk fold there needs to be clarity what process will be followed.

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Not sure there is now any ability to "apply" given there will be, presumably, a lot more Licenced clubs in the EoS come end of the season.

Whatever happens, if Selkirk fold there needs to be clarity what process will be followed.

Until the Lowland League changes their rules the only ways in are application, spfl club 42, EoS/SoS licenced champion.

That'll change but it hasn't changed yet.

There does need to be more promotion and relegation spots but the rules need to be in place before the season starts. You can't penalise club 15 because of the actions of club 16. What if 2 clubs were to fold? Would that mean that club 14, who've done nothing wrong, would be relegated because they're last of 14? Technically, they would be 3rd last of 16 teams. 

8 hours ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

There does need to be more promotion and relegation spots but the rules need to be in place before the season starts. You can't penalise club 15 because of the actions of club 16. What if 2 clubs were to fold? Would that mean that club 14, who've done nothing wrong, would be relegated because they're last of 14? Technically, they would be 3rd last of 16 teams. 

Technically they could going by "bottom club".

However a club is only relegated if there's a licenced EoS or SoS champion.

If there's a licenced champion and SPFL 42 are relegated into the LL with the LL champion failing to be promoted, there would still be vacancy in which the 'relegated' club could apply for. And just like in the days of being put up for re-election by the English Football League, i'm sure the LL would vote the 14th club back in if it ever came to it.

If Selkirk leave the league for any reason, the only thing that 15th place will have to worry about is if there's a licenced champion and SPFL 42 are relegated into the LL with the LL champion failing to be promoted. That's pretty much the only scenario that would see 15th relegated.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

...However a club is only relegated if there's a licenced EoS or SoS champion...

The bottom club still has to apply for readmission under that scenario and other licensed clubs can apply to take their place. Threave didn't make the readmission application one season they finished bottom and that was the explanation for their self-imposed relegation.

7 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The bottom club still has to apply for readmission under that scenario and other licensed clubs can apply to take their place. Threave didn't make the readmission application one season they finished bottom and that was the explanation for their self-imposed relegation.

I wasn't sure on the Threave situation. The LL was 15 teams and there was no licenced EoS/SoS champion. I remember some talk at the time Threave were avoiding getting licenced in time rather than being relegated.

That was St Cuthberts Wanderers on the license thing. Threave went down because they didn't reapply. Clubs can get into the LL by application under this scenario when there is no promoted club available to replace the bottom club.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/threave-rovers-south-scotland-league-8099347

Threave Rovers will be playing in the South of Scotland League next season.

Their application to rejoin the league was successful at last week’s AGM, bringing to an end their three-year stint in the Lowland League.

They’ve had a difficult time since making the step-up, finishing second bottom in 2014 and bottom for the last two seasons.

Recently, chairman Davie McVitie said they planned to reapply for their place which they would have held on to had no team been promoted from the East or South leagues.

But new manager Bryan Gilfillan quit Meadow Park a few weeks ago after claiming the club would be returning to the South – a decision rubber-stamped at last Thursday’s AGM.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived