Eleven Sports

LondonHMFC

I'm assuming it will be compatible if you have a Smart TV ? I have the WWE network through their Android app on my TV so I would hope it might be the same here. Hadn't realised Sky had also lost Dutch football and Chinese football (not that I watched either). 

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:12, FifeArab said:

Sky’s the villains.They pay 10 million a game for Burnley v Wolves but wouldn’t pay over 18 million a season for La Liga...

I still find this gobsmacking.i think sky will end up regretting this big time

On 03/08/2018 at 13:12, FifeArab said:

Sky’s the villains for this. If they didn’t pay well over the odds for that shite down south we’d be able to get other leagues as well. They pay 10 million a game for Burnley v Wolves...

They're not, though. This is just another case of picking an (ostensibly) poor fixture to somehow try and prove a point. That fixture isn't played till March so we have no idea if it will be on TV or not; unless either are involved in a particularly close relegation fight, its chances are incredibly slim.

In any case, Sky pay on average £10m per game. The likes of Liverpool v Man Utd and Man Utd v Man City (and both reverse) are worth considerably more than £10m, while the lower picks are worth considerably less. 

Exaggerated or not, the point stands - average £10m a game for EPL vs £18m for probably around 150 live Spanish games? They obviously believe it's the economic call but I think they might be surprised. Certainly when my subscription is up I'll be ditching SS - no tennis, no Spanish football, almost no Scottish football - it's an EPL and golf service now. 

5 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Exaggerated or not, the point stands - average £10m a game for EPL vs £18m for probably around 150 live Spanish games? They obviously believe it's the economic call but I think they might be surprised.

Sky know the value of rights to their business. The £18m/season they paid last time was a reaction to BT's rumoured involvement in the bidding. 

5 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Certainly when my subscription is up I'll be ditching SS - no tennis, no Spanish football, almost no Scottish football - it's an EPL and golf service now. 

Yes, 30 games per season is clearly "almost no Scottish football". 

If you’ve got Sky, Virgin or BT - even a basic package without sport - it’s maybe worth holding off subscribing to see what happens with a carriage deal. 

That is if you’re prepared to miss the first couple of weeks.

12 hours ago, The Master said:

If you’ve got Sky, Virgin or BT - even a basic package without sport - it’s maybe worth holding off subscribing to see what happens with a carriage deal. 

That is if you’re prepared to miss the first couple of weeks.

This is where I'm at for now. Might end up paying the £5.99 for the first month as I don't want to miss anything.

Apparently the app is now live and there's a free trial that runs out Monday. The only football they've got on over the weekend is the Feyenoord match on Sunday. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least it'll give us an idea of stream quality and lag.

Not too sure about it yet. The price seems reasonable but without an app for my TV or at the very least the ability to Chromecast from the app it doesn't seem worth it to me.

I can only guess the price will be more expensive going through Sky, BT, Virgin etc.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:46, Mayor Wilkins III said:

Imagine bringing "villains" into this. :lol:

Sky's marketing has made the EPL their most valuable commodity and they are right to do whatever they can to keep it.

You seem to be looking at this from a Sky tv shareholders perspective as opposed to a daftie who just wants to watch some sport on TV. 

As one of these said dafties, I'd certainly paint them as the "villains" due to the fact that they are cutting down the choice and content on offer to me the subscriber, while all the time increasing their prices.

Whatever way you look at it, it's a total carve up by the TV companies where we have to have multiple subscriptions with different companies for each and every league and sport.

If only Bein were operating in this country...................

All of that is fair tbh. I look at it from the Sky perspective because the term villain is harsh. They brought it on themselves of course, and they're c***s. But they're not villains for marketing it well and being desperate to hold onto it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it has been covered, but you can watch Italian, German, French and Spanish games on numerous betting apps, albeit without commentary. I pay enough as it is for TV without adding yet another subscription.

I cancelled my Sky Sports yesterday, a completely pointless service unless you watch EPL and a smattering (30?) Scottish games. Kept on BT but I think they’ve really fucked up here.

quick heads up to folk who are wavering about purchasing streaming services because they either do not have smart TV's or don't want to watch on a tablet or laptop - and apologies if this is teaching anyone to suck eggs, but it's an obvious solution which seems to get overlooked - i'm assuming that pretty much every TV has an HDMI input nowadays, smart or otherwise, so simply get whatever cable is required (lighting to HDMI, DV to HDMI or whatever), fire the stream up on your device and hard-wire it to the TV, sharing the monitor, same as using any games console - it's an absolute piece of piss to set up...

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

Not sure if it has been covered, but you can watch Italian, German, French and Spanish games on numerous betting apps, albeit without commentary. I pay enough as it is for TV without adding yet another subscription.

I cancelled my Sky Sports yesterday, a completely pointless service unless you watch EPL and a smattering (30?) Scottish games. Kept on BT but I think they’ve really fucked up here.

i'd also strongly endorse using reddit and acestreams with soda player and the like, but that does seem to be dimly-viewed on here for some reason - HD coverage for free - what's not to like...

see above to view on your TV if it's "non-smart"