Ezra Furman

funky monkey

Went to see Ezra Furman at ABC a couple of weeks before the fire.

I had no expectations as I was only there as a favour to a friend who was a big fan. The guy literally blew me away, one of the best gigs I've been to.

Eclectic in style, from 50s pop to punk and everything in between. 

Any love for Ezra in here? If you are interested try Day of the Dog or Perpetual Motion People first.

The best emerging singer songwriter for me and potentially a huge star, that with a fairly substantial back catalogue already.

Edited by funky monkey

I saw him at Broadcast when he was touring Perpetual Motion People, he was absolutely terrific but i'm not too keen on his new album to be honest. 

Was cutting about the bar upstairs in his dress after the show which was a sight you don't often see in Glesga. 

9 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

He'll never be a huge star.

Talented guy but he isnt the type who'll sell millions and who'll play the pop star game.

Yeah, maybe not a star in terms of sales, but a star in terms of the quality of his song writing and the effort he puts into his gigs, he gives everything to his audience.

In a perfect world he would be a huge star, instead of all the drosd that sells big these days.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

I saw him at Broadcast when he was touring Perpetual Motion People, he was absolutely terrific but i'm not too keen on his new album to be honest. 

Was cutting about the bar upstairs in his dress after the show which was a sight you don't often see in Glesga. 

Agree that the new record is a bit harder to get into. It's like he's pausong for a breather before going again with the next one. Given his output, the next one should be a long next year probably.

When the support was on, he was front stage watching a few feet from me. I wasn't aware that he is gender fluid, so his red dress and bright lipstick certainly stood out!

I hate the whole "Oh you have to see him live" thing, but it's probably more true of EF than most. I've seen him a few times now (partly because he's a regular at End of the Road - will probably see him again there at the end of the month) and as I think I said somewhere on the gigs thread he puts more emotional energy into his every single performance than anyone else I can think of. It must be exhausting and I've no idea how he sustains it. And it makes tracks that I hadn't especially noticed from the albums come to life (Haunted Head and Tip of a Match are two that spring to mind from the previous record).

The new album is decent, though it hasn't really made me listen to it all that often.

• 4 weeks later...

I love that. 

His covers are tremendous. Hounds of Love is a regular part of his set these days, but he's also been known to do an entertaining version of Like A Virgin, among others.

• 1 year later...

Started listening to Ezra Furman last year when Transangelic Exodus came out. Then worked back to some of his other stuff and seen him at Electric Fields - he was brilliant and the highlight from my drunken first day was catching the plastic pearl necklace that he launched out into the crowd.

I'm just giving this a bump because I've had his latest album, Twelve Nudes, on repeat for the past couple of days. Cracking stuff from a great talent.