Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

..I do get the feeling there's a pretty tasteless comparison waiting to be drawn between LTL (Palestinians) and literally every fucker else (Israel) in this wee debate. I won't be the one to make it, mind. Oh, no. Not me. 

Normal Finkelstein is always worth a listen. His parents were Holocaust survivors from Poland and he's never afraid to get stuck into Israel. Has been banned from entering there since 2004 and has been on the receiving end of relentless criticism from the pro-Israel lobby that do so much to influence the foreign policy of the United States in a negative way. He's quite upbeat about Biden and co not giving Netanyahu the sort of blank cheque they would have received previously and that recent attempts to go after Israel under international law are also having an impact.

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

So, are you telling us that a country which has been condemned by the UN in over 40 resolutions escapes any kind of sanction because of the Veto power of a country which maintains a military presence in over 150 (theoretically) Sovereign Nations?

Well, that's us telt. Give us a hand down off this moral high ground, somebody. 

You’ve lost me there.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Nothing good will happen until both sides stop voting in extremists that see the use of force as part of the solution. One set of extremist nutters feed off the other set of extremist nutters in this sort of scenario and an eye for an eye until everyone is blind...

Just some clarifications needed on the issue of who either side votes for.

Palestinians never elected Hamas. They elected Fatah.

Hamas got the most votes in Gaza, which is only one part of Palestine. They did so after 1) voting got Fatah for years and getting murdered anyway and 2) Israel systematically and deliberately executed all of the moderate leaders in Gaza, in all probability with the intention of driving them towards the extremists so that they could justify their ongoing reign of terror.

More than half of Israeli voters chose Netanyahu or someone even worse. A very large proportion of Israelis vote for racist monsters. 

Netanyahu is currently on trial for corruption and has been unable to form a coalition. His main opponent was given four weeks to try and form one. He won’t now and there will be another general election. Netanyahu is electioneering by murdering Palestinians.

Those who say "both sides" tend not to follow events in between these sporadic outbreaks of serious violence. If they did, they might ask themselves how they would react to being ethnically cleansed.

...and on and on with the responses that insinuate I have some sort of sympathy with Netanyahu. In reality stating that both sides need to stop voting for extremists clearly implies that I view Netanyahu as a dangerous extremist that belongs nowhere near governance and that the Israeli electorate repeatedly voting him into power is a huge part of the problem. What I have written implies that nothing good can happean until they cease and desist on that. As for the stuff about not voting in Hamas judge for yourselves how accurate the above is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Palestinian_legislative_election

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...and on and on with the responses that insinuate I have some sort of sympathy with Netanyahu. In reality stating that both sides need to stop voting for extremists clearly implies that I view Netanyahu as a dangerous extremist that belongs nowhere near governance and that the Israeli electorate repeatedly voting him into power is a huge part of the problem. What I have written implies that nothing good can happean until they cease and desist on that. As for the stuff about not voting in Hamas judge for yourselves how accurate the above is:

The problem is that you think any violent resistance to illegal occupation is extremeism. 

Just as a fact check more than anything else firing 3500+ missiles indiscriminately at the major popular centres of a military power that is highly likely to respond with immediate disproportionate retaliatory military action that will severely impact your own population isn't the same thing as "any violent resistance to illegal occupation". 

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I've just pointed out to you that the Palestinians didn't vote for extremists. Fatah aren't extremists. 

I wasn't suggesting you were defending Netanyahu, I'm saying you're wrong in claiming that the Palestinians voted for extremists.

They do now, of course, but purely because Israel has taught them that it doesn't matter a toss who they cote for, they're getting ethnically cleansed and brutalised anyway.

It's really not on the Palestinians to stop this any more. It's 100% on Israel.

Edited by GordonS

The people living in the open air prison should be voting for sensible pragmatists who will advance piecemeal and moderate solutions to the problem of being locked inside a giant open air prison.

56 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Robert Jenrick, speaking on behalf of the government states that anti zionism is antisemitism.

That’s disgusting and children definitely should not be getting taught that.  I’m sure our vigilant MSM will hold the government to account on this.

The people living in the open air prison should be voting for sensible pragmatists who will advance piecemeal and moderate solutions to the problem of being locked inside a giant open air prison.

“Lads, listen, I know Israel are going to continue to bomb the living f**k out of us for the foreseeable future, but at least we’ll have the moral high-ground safe in the knowledge that we attempted to find a consensus, bi-partisan solution with the invading, genocidal force, like characters in a Sorkin drama, whilst our limbs are blown irretrievably from our bodies, and at the end of the day, is that not what really matters?”

3 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Robert Jenrick, speaking on behalf of the government states that anti zionism is antisemitism.

Why should we make sure children learn British values when British values are so shit? Maybe we should teach them the values of a better country instead. How about Finland? 

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Why should we make sure children learn British values when British values are so shit? Maybe we should teach them the values of a better country instead. How about Finland? 

I’ve done a Google search this morning and cannot see any of the MSM reporting this let alone condemning it.